cathode ray tube too bright

gotskill10

n00b
Hi, I got a unincon Cathode Ray Tube in Blue color. The program is that it only has one lighting setting and i think its too bright. I kinda wanted it to be dim, light those led case fans. Is there anyway, I put a dimmer switch on it, or would it not be healthy for the tube. Let me know guys, thx

I had a similar problem, and let me tell you, colored Saran wrap works wonders. :)

colored saran wrap? i was thinking about a more professional fix. If I could put a dimmer on it, i could also save electricity.

Originally posted by gotskill10
colored saran wrap? i was thinking about a more professional fix. If I could put a dimmer on it, i could also save electricity.

I don't think you're going too save to much electricty by dimming a 12v cc.

well, ok, but i mean, i would prefer putting on getting a dimmer from radio shack and putting it on. Could I do that?

i think you mean a cold cathode...a cathode ray tube is a CRT monitor....if it IS a CRT, use the buttons on the monitor

Originally posted by gymboy689
i think you mean a cold cathode...a cathode ray tube is a CRT monitor....if it IS a CRT, use the buttons on the monitor

Wow.

Anyway, don't put a dimmer on it, it completely kills the life of the tube. For the two that I have in open areas (that can be seen directly from the outside, not just the light they shine) -- I fabricated some aluminum panels out of . . . aluminum panels from home depot. It looks stock, but hides cluttered wires and the direct tube from the window.

Otherwise, saran wrap IS a professional way of cleaning it up -- with most of them, you can't even tell.

Or grocery stores. Pretty much any place that has clear saran wrap.

edit: 1500! I can finally go to bed.

if you need it to look profeshinal, take it to a place that does window tinting and have them put tints on it.

a cathod ray tube its not the same thing as a cold cathode florecent lamp

cover it in glass or plexy and have that tinted (make a mirored mounting bracket, and a "dome" to go over it, and tint the "dome"linky

you cant "dim" a flourescent light with out expensive equipment [i have a big fish tank so i know] if they dont get enough power they dont work.

but i dont know about ccfl's they might be different

yeah, a guy says that it kills the life of it. I mean if it works like a cathode ray from physics class, i dont see how it would decrease the life of it because the light is made by bouncing off of atoms.

i think i might just try the dimmer, does anyone really object to it. Has anyone have concrete experience or proof that it will be harmful or detrimental?

You can't use a dimmer on a flourescent tube. Take a look around and think about it... when is the last time you saw a light fixture somewhere that was flourescent on a dimmer switch? I am willing to bet never.

You can buy automotive window tint in rolls for next to nothing at parts stores. You can also find a shop that does window tinting and offer someone a buck for a 4" section off of the roll. Guaranteed someone will either just give you one or comply for a buck and pocket it anyway. :)

The fluorescent tube needs a certain voltage in order to ionize the gas inside it. If you go mucking with the voltage you feed the tube then there is a good chance that the gas just won't ionize and you won't get any light out of it.

Well I just did a bit of searching and came across something interesting from this page:
1. There is such a thing as a cold-cathode fluorescent lamp. They resemble "neon" signs, but are generally of slightly greater diameter. They are not too standard nor widely available. They are also typically a bit less efficient than hot-cathode lamps. However, they can be dimmed to any degree without any chance of damaging them or causing any excessive wear. It should also be noted that starting these frequently does not cause any excessive wear. (If excessive current flows during the first half-cycle of operation, a generally insignificant amount of extra wear occurs.)

Although dimming these is safe, there is usually a limit to degree of dimming just by reducing voltage. Below a certain point, these usually just go out. Fortunately, these usually dim more than hot-cathode lamps and stay on.

There are also miniature cold cathode fluorescent lamps, often used for backlighting LCD screens and in image scanners. (LCD screens sometimes use other means of lighting such as a white electroluminescent panel.) Like the large ones, miniature cold cathode fluorescent lamps are dimmable.

bet they cant dim far

in my aquarium i have a neat little toy that was $800 and it dims my fluorescent tubes so the fish see it as sunset and sunrise. it is also a wave generater which the fish like.

i dont know how it works but it does something like alternating current or something.:confused:

i have my ccfl hooked into my baybus and i can dim it just fine... runs till about 5v where it hardly gives off any light

if it shortens the life of the tube/inverter... meh... thinking about getting a different color anyway :p

Originally posted by AR
Anyway, don't put a dimmer on it, it completely kills the life of the tube.
Actually, it will burn out the inverter, not the tube, if you have a cheap one... The actual fluorescent tube will be fine, however you will be stressing the inverter (and the various components on it).

-special [k]

hmm, so is seran wrap still the best option. I would really like to be able to put a dimmer on it, so i can change it as i please. Let me know guys.

Originally posted by thebro
you cant "dim" a flourescent light with out expensive equipment [i have a big fish tank so i know] if they dont get enough power they dont work.

but i dont know about ccfl's they might be different

i put a varying amount of voltage (under 12) through a CCFL that was running probabily 12 hours a day (mounted on my wall) and it NEVER had a problem. this is for a good 6 months of solid use. so i dont know what you guys are talking about

Originally posted by thebro
im talking a big ass tube not a ccfl
I know the 4' and bigger tubes in office lights need a expensive controller to dim. but for a CCFL just use a fan controller

so should i just cut the wire and put a dimmer in it. Should i put it before the inverter or after it in between it and the tube. Also, could i get a dimmer from radioshack? Anyone have any specific suggestions

Back