cathode lights question

qbert3

[H]ard|Gawd
What I want - To have a few of the cathode lights underneath or behind my desk.

Problem - The cables are waaaaay too short (both power supply and the cables on the cathode lights).

Im looking for a solution.

I thought about building a seperate PC for them... but that is just too much for lighting. Ive tried looking for extensions of some type to go from the power supply to the cables for the cathode lights.. i cant find anything. Actually im not even sure what to look for.

Could you not just find some RCA Cables and snip the wires inside from that?

Hmmmm Im really not sure.

Is there a way to power these cathode lights without a pc? maybe some type of converter that could be used with ordinary wall plugs?

Dont attempt to add wire to the high voltage side (inverter->lamp) or bad things will happen

you can get a 12v wall wort at any radioshack, kmart, ect...

when i buy my new desk w/ frosted glass top, i plan on using neon lights for cars. Still 12v, and will run off one of my extra power supplies. They're bigger too...

See I have extra power supplies as well, but im not sure how to use them without actually putting a PC together. I have a spare 450w and 350 power supply.

// See I have extra power supplies as well, but im not sure how to use them without actually putting a PC together. I have a spare 450w and 350 power supply.//

there's a way.... i believe you have to connect the green and a black wire at the atx-plug..i used a small cable for that . but google cause i'm not sure.. search for "starting a psu without motherboard" or something like that... i did it too cause i had the same problem/idea ;)

so plz google because i don't want to be responsible if you try and something goes wrong *g*

greetz
Falli

qbert3 said:
See I have extra power supplies as well, but im not sure how to use them without actually putting a PC together. I have a spare 450w and 350 power supply.
It's in the FAQ under "Turning on an ATX supply that isin't connected to a motherboard"

NeonDesk.jpg

Theres my desk :D Just extended the wires lol! not rocket science really... just go to an electrical store and buy some 12v wire ;)

an even cheaper thing to do is search the internet for the 12v ac adapter. I've tried looking online for one for you but i couldn't find one. All it is is a ac adapter that goes to a molex connector. They are out there i just don't know where

by next week sometime my desk will be lit up with sound reactive lights. so far it looks pretty cool when i play CS with only 1 light.

they sell one at xoxide.com thats where i got mine. for only liek 6 bucks. it plugs into any wall socket

Back