• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cathode Bad for PSU? (and soprano)

jcll2002

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
3,655
Im thinking of getting a thermaltake soprano case for my new rig and i GOTTA get some light. I was thinking about adding a cold cathode (blue of course :D) because there are already 3 fans in there.

Someone told me that the cathode can really mess up my psu? BTW, its the enermax 535w. Is this true?

BTW, this is the cathode i was thinking about. And how/what way do you mount it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16800888026

Thanks,
jcll2002
 
I have never heard anything about it hurting any components, although it may, just never heard that.

As for installation, as you can see in the pics in the link you sent, it hooks up to a standard 4 pin molex. There is a "converter" box that hooks into the light. Simple installation, but sometimes hiding the little box is the hardest part. I think the PCI bracket is either an on/off switch, or an on/off/soundactive switch. Not sure.
 
the only thing cold cathodes ever do that is negative is burn peoples computers down.
 
Darkala said:
the only thing cold cathodes ever do that is negative is burn peoples computers down.
QFT. There was a period where I used to leave the cathodes in my case on permanently. Eventually I began to smell this burning odor but I could never find the source. Weeks later, when one of my cathodes began to flicker and dim, I opened the inverter box to find that it had been smoldering and melting its casing for quite some time. The problem is that often inverters are very low quality. If you are going to buy a kit, don't opt for the cheapest one. Also, it is probably best not to leave your cathodes on while you are asleep or out of the house. Now, I only turn them on for show occasionally.
 
so i take it leds are better. Are there any non fan leds i can put in my case?
 
Theres nothing wrong with cold cathodes. My last 3 computers have had cathodes that I've had on whenever the computer is on and I've never had a problem.

If you want to go the LED route anyway, there are sticks of LEDs that are the same size as cathodes, or laser leds.
 
Back
Top