CATERR on a L5639 CPU

TType85

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a HP DL160G6 that had dual L5639 CPU's in it and I started getting errors in the logs of CATERR on CPU1 causing the system to reboot.

I have since swapped CPU2 in to CPU1's socket and the system has had no issues, except the fact I lost access to half my ram.

Is this the CPU actually going bad?

This is the first time i've actually had a CPU go bad instead of the motherboard or other parts.

I have a HP DL160G6 that had dual L5639 CPU's in it and I started getting errors in the logs of CATERR on CPU1 causing the system to reboot.

I have since swapped CPU2 in to CPU1's socket and the system has had no issues, except the fact I lost access to half my ram.

Is this the CPU actually going bad?

This is the first time i've actually had a CPU go bad instead of the motherboard or other parts.

Pull CPU 1 and VERY CAREFULLY look for bent pins in the socket. Even a since pin in the right spot (along with a warped board) will cause the infamous ram disappearing trick that X58 was famous for.

Also, if you pull the suspect CPU, does all of your ram show up?

Pull CPU 1 and VERY CAREFULLY look for bent pins in the socket. Even a since pin in the right spot (along with a warped board) will cause the infamous ram disappearing trick that X58 was famous for.

Also, if you pull the suspect CPU, does all of your ram show up?

When I pulled the CPU the socket looks perfect.

I put CPU 2 in to that socket and the system has been stable since. I did looks half of the slots for ram as you need the 2nd CPU for the other 9 slots (server board, has 18 dimm slots) It does see the 36GB of ram that is left.

Back