Catastrophic computer deathmeltdown!

Zekenstein

n00b
Well, it's not quite as crazy as the title but I've been having trouble with a system I built for my uncle. it's an Abit KV7-V with a Sempron 2600+ I believe, 512 MB with a radeon 9200. I can get more details if you need. Anyways, starting a few months ago it would just shut down and reboot, repeatedly doing this, sometimes after it had booted to the OS and ran for 15 minutes, sometimes during the boot progress so I don't think it's a virus. We replaced the PSU, for some reason the hardware monitor in the BIOS is detecting the processor at 200 degrees fahrenheit! This cant be right, the fan is sinning the Heatsink is applied correctly with thermal paste so I'm thinking either the mobo or processor is shot. Can anyone shine any light on this? PLEASE, thank you so much in advance.

P.S. I replaced the PSU because the computer would'nt boot when plugged into this power strip of his, sometimes when he opened the garage door the computer would reboot, and when he shut the computer down the case fans would still run unless you actually shut the power switch off on the bakc of the PSU. Maybe this actually indicates a mobo problem? Although the 200 degree processor temperature, even though it's obviously not true of or the proc would have melted by now still worries me anyway in regards to the processor.

The same thing was happening with my brother's PC before we got his new one, but on a little bit smaller scale. First of all, the computer worked fine. My bro restarted his computer for some reason, and suddenly nothing would show up on the screen, the computer wouldn't beep, nothing. We tried putting in another graphics card. Again, nothing. The next obvious thing was to try the PSU, but that did nothing.
I'll spare you the terrible tale of the process of trying to get it working normal, but we ended up doing a reinstall of windows after we fixed the problem of nothing showing up on screen, not sure how. It worked fine after that, but I'm not sure the reinstall was totally needed. Read all the other replies that are posted before doing this. There's something wacky with the temperature reader for my bro's new computer. The CPU temp goes from somewhere in the mid-low thirties then jumps to 127, then back.

I guess I can try flashing new bios, it was having a problem before and a bios flash fixed it, only problem with reinstalling the OS is that I was trying not to have to reformat the HD, although I guess it's not that big of a deal... anything else anyone can think of that might be the problem?

normally i would have guessed a power supply issue but since you replaced it i doubt that is the problem. pehaps the computer is shutting down aftering detecting the cpu @ 200 degrees

How long has the heatsink been on? It could be that the thermal material has gotten too hard and isn't conducting heat as well anymore. It happens. Oh and 200'F is only 93'C (heh only lol) Most BIOS's have a setting to throttle the CPU when it's over a certain temp to kinda protrect it. Sometimes that can create an unstable system and cause Windows to blue screen and reset.

Well, that could be the cse except that it's 200 degrees the second the PC boots, I turn it on and go strait into the H/W monitor in the bios and it's 200 degrees, and it doesn't deviate more than 4 degrees from that temperature with each refresh/poll. The computer was previously have a bios related problem that I fixed with a previous bios flash, perhaps it's time for another.

Yes, I would say (as I already did) you need to flash the bios. I'll bet your problems will be solved.

Back