catalyst problem 9800 pro

tanamemo

n00b
Ok boys and girls, just got this saphire 9800 pro 128 from Newegg($214). uninstalled my old 8500 and all ati software, including driver, shut down removed the 8500 and installed the 9800 pro. The problem is I cant install the Catalyst drivers. if I run the insall from the driver disk (ver 3.8) I get an error message that says "severe" "setup was unable to complete the installation.try to setup your display adapter with a standard vga driver before running setup" If I try to go through the device mgr and attempt to update the driver it begins to load ,but stops and I get the message" can not install this hardware...there was a problem installing this hardware RADEON 9800 PRO...an error occured during the installation of this device.... the parameter is wrong" downloaded the 4.2 drivers same thing. Updated chipset and AGP drivers and checked bios and I have most recent ver....same thing. A thread on Saphires forum suggested updating directx to 9.0 but I've already done that. power supply is only a 300w but I've unplugged every thing except one optical and one HDD I cant even fathom paying saphire $2.45 a minute for tech support after I just bought their card. if anyone has any ideas I'd be greatful :(

dammmnn you have tried everything that i would have tried:confused:

what about making sure its seated properly, check BIOS for any clues, is ur sytem stable?? hmm dunno trying to help you but cant think of anything, try it on another machine if u can, a friends or something just to see

found no clues in cmos. system "sees it" but even windows update has an ati driver and it wont load, maybe re-install Windows? that would be a pain in the ass if it didn't work.

Pull the ATI, plug in a PoS old vga card, boot to safe mode, run drivercleaner to remove every drop of ATI software. Delete the "ATI" folder, etc.

Then reinstall the radeon and install the software.

Yup, do that. Use driver cleaner, because it is definately to do with the fact that u have had a previous ATI card in there at some point causing the prob.'s.

it really is neccesary to use a brute force program like driver cleaner. even though you are removing all the drivers you can in windows, video cards leave behind so many registry entries and little hidden goodies to screw you up later.

remember to read the instructions of driver cleaner before use!

i've never heard of driver cleaner...it sounds interesting...i'm guessing it comes packaged with windows? or is it a third party program?

Well I tried the driver cleaner in safe mode with my sons G3, same problem, I even put my 8500 back in and guess what... same thing. One Question though...dosen't the pro card have an extra tab that plugs into the AGP slot? mine only has three like the old 8500 but my MB's slot is longer and the xtra part is labeled for pro cards only . Any additional ideas?

Had a similar problem with mine. Don't boot to safe mode but make sure you have your chipset or at least a vga driver installed. I did that then installed the omega drivers over it and it works fine now. I went from a 9200(took it back to wal-mart great cs :) ) to a 9800pro. I used driver cleaner 2.0 to get rid of all my older ati stuff as well.

what do you mean? Did you clean out your mb drivers as well? What are Omega drivers?

Just make sure to have no ATI drivers left in your windows. Restart the computer in regular mode it should find a regular vga adapter. Then install the new catalyst drivers over it. This should allow you not to get that "severe" error.

Ok, if any one is still interested ,formated and reinstalled windows. Should have just done it in the first place.installed drivers without a glitch(4.2) benchmark sucks though, only like 4928 with 3dmark03 build 3.4.0. Any suggestions?

Back