• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Catalyst Control Center not showing up

Nazo

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 2, 2002
Messages
3,672
For some reason I absolutely can't get the Catalyst Control Center to show up at all. If I check the task manager, CCC and MOM are running, but doing nothing. (No CPU usage at all, memory usage doesn't really change.) I was using the 11-7 drivers, but tried updating to the newer 11-9 just in case, but still no good. I also tried doing a VERY thorough uninstall (including running a tool that removes registry keys among other things) and then reinstalling, and still no good. If I check the event viewer, under ACEEventLog I can find a ton of entries. One recent one that looks like it may have some relation might be this one:
0000000003: 2011-10-27 19:37:20:625 Exception <Killing CCC0 Process>: Process with an Id of 1760 is not running.
Exception Called by: ATI.ACE.MOM.Implementation.CCC0StateMachine::KillMe processID:01464 threadID:(MOM_STM_DelegateThread) domainName:(MOM.exe ) assemblyName:(MOM.Implementation, Version=2.0.4268.22166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
************************************************************************************************************************
(But then again, that might be from when I killed the executables in the task manager after a long time of absolutely nothing happening.)

I also see this one which may or may not be related:
0000000001: 2011-10-27 19:39:02:468 Failed to merge manifest file: C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\MOM-InstallProxy\mom-installproxy.xml with exception: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\MOM-InstallProxy\mom-installproxy.xml'.
Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Foundation.MergeManifest::ReadManifest processID:03416 threadID:( ) domainName:(ccc.exe ) assemblyName:(CLI.Foundation.XManifest, Version=2.0.4268.22166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwise I have no clue what could be going on since I receive no errors or anything. I'd rather not have to use ATI Tray Tools or anything like that if at all possible since I don't like the way they work, so if there's any way to get CCC working I'd really prefer to use it.

Oh, and I'm running Windows XP 32-bit with service pack 3 slipstreamed.
 
Bump. I just found out there are 11.10 drivers out for a little while already now and updated to those just now. Still the Catalyst Control Center will not function.
 
Usually has to do with .net frameworks either not being installed or not updated. Check your windows update etc. Although I just noticed you are running xp so..... I'm not sure if that's relative.
 
Do you need overscan settings? If not, I think that's the only thing you will miss moving to Radeonpro (and you'll get more tweaks like forcing vsync in directx). Try it in the meantime, I find it's more user friendly than Ati Tray Tools.

Regarding CCC, is it still supported in XP? I mean I would assume so, but then again DX11 isn't...

Couple options I've seen:

"This is an old thread, but it's one of the top search results for "ccc won't run" so I wanted to post another possible solution here. My solution was to clear out the Windows GAC (Global Assembly Cache). In Windows 7, you can browse directly to "C:\Windows\assembly". Sort by "Public Key Token", then delete everything with the Token "90ba9c70f846762e" (ATI's key). You'll obviously need Administrator privileges. No reboot needed either. Reinstalled CCC and it ran perfectly!

The GAC lets you share DLL's that are the same version number. If it's in the GAC, any installer will NOT install a new DLL - it'll use the one in the GAC. If the GAC DLL is corrupted, you're majorly SOL.

When I reinstalled the CCC, it took longer to install then it had before. Presumably, this was due to the installer copying all the correct DLL's to my hard drive. And no ATI DLL's have made it back into my GAC."

OR

"1. Go to http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_3.html
Follow all the steps (even the optional ones) under 'Old Catalyst Removal'

2. Make sure you've deleted all the 'ATI' related folders in C:\Program Files
and in C:\

3. Make sure you delete the mentioned registry keys; even after you've
used RegCleaner

4. Go to your Windows>>assembly folder. Delete/Uninstall All entries with
the Public Key Token '90ba9c70f846762e'

5. Go Start > Run...
Type 'services.msc'
find the service 'Windows Management Instrumentation' and stop it
Close the window.

6. Go to C:\WINDOWS\WBEM
IF there is a folder called 'Repository' rename it to 'Repository_Old'

7. Go Start > Run...
Type 'services.msc'
find the service 'Windows Management Instrumentation' and START it
Close the window.

8. Restart.
after restarting, XP will look for drivers for the video card. Cancel all
such attempts.

9. Download a fresh copy of catalyst control center and drivers
package

10. Install
11. Pray that it works!"

GL!
 
Last edited:
Do you need overscan settings? If not, I think that's the only thing you will miss moving to Radeonpro (and you'll get more tweaks like forcing vsync in directx). Try it in the meantime, I find it's more user friendly than Ati Tray Tools.
Yeah, I hate ATI Tray Tools. I'd never heard of this "Radeonpro" so I'll at least take a look at it. I do not need overscan at all -- I have only digital displays. If I could find something cleaner and nicer than CCC, I'd love it.

Regarding CCC, is it still supported in XP? I mean I would assume so, but then again DX11 isn't...
It doesn't use DX11 to render the CCC GUI... Yes, it's still supported in XP. There's absolutely no reason they'd disable support. They'd just hide or gray out any DX10/11 specific options (are there even any?) As long as they have XP drivers, the CCC will support XP. It's going to be YEARS before they drop XP support.


EDIT: I'll try the other stuff you added in later on if I don't like Radeonpro or if it doesn't work quite the way I need.

Usually has to do with .net frameworks either not being installed or not updated. Check your windows update etc. Although I just noticed you are running xp so..... I'm not sure if that's relative.
I have them all installed as far as I'm aware. I actually do that during my initial Windows installation. I like to install them in order too so that they aren't just all there, but they'll be all of the latest files in case of conflicts. (Eg I do .NET 2.0 first, then 3.5, then 4.0, or whatever they were.)


EDIT2: So far I'm liking RadeonPro. It uses a service instead of a temporary tray icon and seems to use game profiles in a FAR cleaner method -- much more like how the CCC works. It may just be everything I need sans the bloat. Thanks for the suggestion. If nothing else it's a great program to try.

EDIT3: Ouch! RadeonPro causes my whole system to slow down ridiculously -- at least any time I start something it does. Programs that normally take two or three seconds tops take more than forty while it's running! I'll probably have to try the above trick and see what happens. Looks like I have to run it as administrator every time or it will do that... Oh well. It's still better than CCC, so for now I'll just leave it like this.

Final edit: Ok, since then I've found something of a solution that may or may not help anyone who should ever run into this problem in the future. It the CCC menu in the programs menu there is an option to restart the driver it says. Specifically it runs this command: ""C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe" Restart" If I ran this first, then CCC would suddenly work again. So, naturally, I placed this in my startup so it would run automatically after I logged in. With this I now can use CCC normally, though it requires that messy method to make it work unfortunately.

This is likely ultimately related to the fact that I'm running this from a user-level account with the program SuRun giving me the equivalent of UAC in XP. A lot of software for XP assumes it will have administrative rights and just simply does not work right if it doesn't. However, thanks to SuRun's help in making using a user-level account rather than administrative-level so much easier, I'd rather put up with a few bad developer practices like these while otherwise having a system that's a LOT harder for things like viruses to completely cripple or that sort of thing. (It's still inexcusable IMO when this sort of thing happens with software that is being written to be cross-platform compatible with modern Windows operating systems like Vista and 7 where they are supposed to not do everything as administrator even if they can.)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top