• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Catalyst Control Center necessary?

Geryon

n00b
Joined
Sep 23, 2009
Messages
48
I noticed on the ATI website that you can download the Catalyst 10.3 display driver separately from CCC.

Is there anything you can do with CCC that you can't do without it?

Basically, I'm wondering if there's a specific reason to install CCC, or can you get the same functionality by just installing the driver and perhaps RivaTuner or similar?
 
Fair enough. So it's not just a prettied up interface for stuff you can do in the driver?

I'm the kind of person that never installs the crap software you get with printers because it usually just controls the same options that are available under the printer properties or web interface. I hate installing useless bloatware so I wanted to make sure that CCC isn't in the same vein before I install my new 5870 this evening! :D
 
And the benefits are what exactly? I've never used CCC personally (well not since the early days when it was a bag of shite), always just install the driver and ATi Tray Tools which does everything I want it to.
 
I just used the gamma correction in CCC and my monitor looks so much better. Sometimes it can conflict with Afterburner though.
 
Hmm, I pretty much just want to configure my 2D and 3D fan profiles. I know people are saying CCC has never caused them any problems, but it doesn't sound like it provides any killer features either.

A bit of Googling turns up threads with people saying "Use ATT! It's so much lighter on memory than CCC and it has more features!" Then I find other threads with people saying "Don't use ATT! It's not updated that often and it has been known to actually reduce performance!" Confusing much? :)

As Violator said, what are the benefits?
 
My issue with Afterburner OCing is you have to manually set it between 2D and 3D. (Unless they fixed that in the 2 months since I tried it.) Using CCC it remains automatic.
 
I don't know about ATT but don't you need CCC for Eyefinity and HydraGrid?
 
I use ATI Tray Tools. The interface and menu from task bar is so much more easier on the fly. Also, I have options in it that I don't get in CCC like Temporal AA.

I use both CCC and ATT at the same time. ATT also provides a nice temperature readout in the taskbar.
 
I like ATT when I was still using the win32, but the thing with ATT is it's not working with win64 (unless there's already an update/tweak for this...)

I've been using CCC since.
 
Nice find on ATT. I used it for years but quit when I upgraded to Win7 x64. It works again:)
 
Back
Top