• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Catalyst AA override setting question

Joined
Jan 31, 2002
Messages
621
I've gone back to ATI for the first time since my 9700 Pro and I'm slightly confused by one of the Catalyst settings. I'm replaying HL2 and I've set "let application choose AA settings" in the driver and set 4x MSAA in-game. However, there's a setting in the driver to choose the type of AA, with MSAA being the lowest, whereas I've set it to the highest, supersampling. There's no option for this to choose whether it's controlled by the app or drive, so which is the game using?
 
To clarify, it's not the level of AA (2x, 4x, 8x etc) applied I'm confused about, it's the type - multi or super?
 
Multi-sample is the standard way. It's what games when AA is supported. Adaptive AA will add to this by working on transparent and alpha textures. Super-sampling is a brute force approach. It renders the scene either 2,4 or 8 times the resolution of your screen, and then down-sample to your monitor's native resolution. It results in a better image, but it requires a shit-load of work. It's only for older DX9 games and it can make textures a bit blurry. You can fix that by using ATI tray Tools and set the LOD to -2.
 
Back
Top