Catalyst 9.8 new treat?

Tamlin_WSGF

2[H]4U
From CatalystMaker@twitter:
no its not true that catalyst 9.8 will be out this Friday. This month it will be launching somewhere special first

Also:

AMD Delivers and Submits for Certification Industry’s First OpenCL™ Software Development Platform for x86 CPUs

Will there be an extra treat with Catalyst 9.8, since its going to be launched "somewhere special" first?
Dare we hope for Havok's opencl physics being released?

How about just fixing the problems it caused? I will settle for that.

Not being able to play WoW on my 4770 when I am in the mood for better graphics is VERY annoying.

No offence, but if Catalyst 9.8 caused problems for you before its released, you'd be better off waiting until release. If you have issues with other versions, please use the appropriate threads for that. This one is not about drivers prior to 9.8 nor about 4770 (its about a possible new treat in 9.8). Please don't go off topic.

From Ian MacNaughton on twitter:

I will be at #quakecon 2009 - with some surprises! #Area64

Quakecon is from 13th to 16th of August. Perhaps this is the "somewhere special"?. :)

Last edited:
You can find 9.8 beta's at Rage3d.

But, as mentioned, this is not a thread for troubleshooting and complaining. :)

Some have problems, other don't. Venting about them in threads that are not for troubleshooting or discussions related to the problems are thread crapping.

I want to discuss if there is a new treat and perhaps someone heard what it might be. Not to listen to people's problems.

Will be awesome if this treat comes with a 5000 series 40nm video card. :cool:

Will be awesome if this treat comes with a 5000 series 40nm video card. :cool:

It did. They showed off the new DX11 cards there. :)

I'm somewhat disappointed. This is more like Nvidia's "big bang" drivers last year. I wasn't impressed then and I'm not impressed now with ATI's "big bang".

Anyway, here's what I dug up so far:

New features: Support for openGL 3.1
(OpenCL support is in beta and you can sign up and download it at amd developer central)

There is some large increases for crossfire setups, especially those that have some CPU bottleneck(according to Neowin). I'm wondering if they have enabled sideport? Here's the changelog highlights:

* Battleforge DirectX 10/DirectX 10.1 performance improves of up to 50% with the largest gains in configurations using ATI CrossFireX™ technology.
* Company of Heroes DirectX 10 performance improves of up to 77%.
* Crysis DirectX 10 performance of ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode improves of up to 10% and quad mode performance improves of up to 34%.
* Crysis Warhead DirectX 10 performance of ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode improves of up to 7% and quad mode performance improves of up to 69%.
* Far Cry 2 DirectX 10 performance of ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode improves of up to 50% and quad mode performance improves of up to 88%.
* Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X. DirectX 10/DirectX 10.1 performance of ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode improves of up to 40% and with quad mode performance improving of up to 60%.
* UnigineTropics OpenGL performance improvements of up to 20%.
* UnigineTropics DirectX 10 performance of ATI CrossFireX technology in quad mode improvements of up to 20%.
* World in Conflict DirectX 10 performance improvements of up to by 10%.
http://www.pcper.com/news.php

What was interesting though, was the improvement reported by a user regarding the Farcry 2 DX10 lows being improved:

fc2.gif

DOXau@rage3D

Last edited:
There's a new feature I haven't seen before:

Rightclick on the ATI icon on the taskbar. Choose 3d settings. There is a new feature called "force maximum performance clocks". Its default to disable. Need to test this out! :D

Rightclick on the ATI icon on the taskbar. Choose 3d settings. There is a new feature called "force maximum performance clocks". Its default to disable. Need to test this out! :D
It enables 3d clocks in 2d mode. So if you're playing in windowed mode it's good for that.

Don't see that option in XP 32bit with HD4770.

Which OS and video card are you running?

OOO yea 58** reviews out on Sept. 10th, and I get paid ont he 11th.

Cannot wait to get me an X2 version baby!

Thanks for the link, Conker. downloading now. pretty fast rate of transfer too.

Which makes so much sense, when 95%+ of the market is still on singles.

People on Crossfire and dual Crossfire have been neglected regarding performance enhancements for a while now. It won't hurt single GPU users if ATi spends a little time working on multi-GPU optimization, especially since single GPU users have been the focus of ATi's performance optimizations for years.

9.8 drivers are a FAIL for me!

Radeon 4890.

9.7 Streetfighter 4 benchmark 8xaa + all max settings at 1080p = 52.56 fps
9.8 Streetfighter 4 benchmark 8xaa + all max settings at 1080p = 25.23 fps

It looks absolutely sluggish on 9.8 drivers. WTF? Thought this was supposed to be an improvement! Anyone else getting similar results?

Umm have the multigpu optimizations hurt the single gpu performance??

9.8 drivers are a FAIL for me!

Radeon 4890.

9.7 Streetfighter 4 benchmark 8xaa + all max settings at 1080p = 52.56 fps
9.8 Streetfighter 4 benchmark 8xaa + all max settings at 1080p = 25.23 fps

It looks absolutely sluggish on 9.8 drivers. WTF? Thought this was supposed to be an improvement! Anyone else getting similar results?

Umm have the multigpu optimizations hurt the single gpu performance??

If so, then its hurt in both 9.7 and 9.8. I ran the Streetfighter benchmark (for the first time, so I don't have any numbers for 9.7) and my results were as following (everything maxed):

SCORE: 11253
AVERAGE: 166.93FPS
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (@3.4GHz actually)
Memory: 4094MB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
Display Setting: 1920x1200 60Hz 8xAA

(c)CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. 2008, 2009 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

I find your numbers with a 4890 to be very low.

-------
SCORE: 7676
AVERAGE: 90.53FPS
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor
Memory: 4095MB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Video Memory: 1024MB
Display Setting: 1920x1080 60Hz 8xAA

------
SCORE: 7305
AVERAGE: 83.26FPS

all settings at their highest. [email protected] and asus dk 4870 @825/900
w7 build 7100

OOO yea 58** reviews out on Sept. 10th, and I get paid ont he 11th.

Cannot wait to get me an X2 version baby!

I understand you're excited and everything, but what if nVidia offers an equal or better product at a competitive price? Would you still get the ATI card?

I understand you're excited and everything, but what if nVidia offers an equal or better product at a competitive price? Would you still get the ATI card?

Personally - yes. I've turned into a huge AMD fan recently, they really gave nVidia a run for their money with the 48xx series - good business practices deserve reward.

They have a certain tweaker's nature to them as well.

-------
SCORE: 7676
AVERAGE: 90.53FPS

------
SCORE: 7305
AVERAGE: 83.26FPS

all settings at their highest. [email protected] and asus dk 4870 @825/900
w7 build 7100

This is more like it. You just outperformed a 4890. Weird though. If these numbers were any indication of GPU performance alone, then I have perfect scaling (83.26FPS average on 4870@1080P vs. 166.93FPS average on 4870X2@1200P).

My catalyst A.I is on standard, Mipmap detail level on high quality, everything application managed (make sure that AA is on box even though its application managed).

I'ts also a matter of when they will offer this product. ATI has a date and for all we know it may take any time less than a year for Nvidia to get out dx11 desktop cards. (I don't expect it to take more than three to six months but we actually don't know)

Back