Catalyst 8.2 is released!

No luck. In fact, the stuttering is worse now, in both DX9 and DX10.

I submitted a ticket already, only to find out that submitting a ticket isn't the right way to go about reporting a driver problem. Submitting a ticket has their low level support people try to assist you via e-mail, but they don't communicate issues with the driver team.

To report a driver problem, fill out the form here:
http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/survey.asp?deptID=894&surveyID=486&type=web

Thanks, I'm installing these now. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you run one of the updates and it says "This update does not apply to your system.", it was already installed by another HotFix which had this one integrated into it. This happened for one of mine. FYI
My stuttering / pausing was in BF2. Seems to have stopped. *crosses fingers* I know how frustrating these issues are to us who just want to turn on the computer and GAME.

If these don't work, I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE anyone to submit a ticket. There is a toll free number also if you go through the tech support duh! questions on the second link in above post.

The first ticket response is always automated, keep on it and you will get a person the second time.

The TICKET is always escalated from the bottom up, so don't give up already. Mine progressed pretty far up where I was talking to someone that could actually do something about my other problem...

No luck. In fact, the stuttering is worse now, in both DX9 and DX10.

I submitted a ticket already, only to find out that submitting a ticket isn't the right way to go about reporting a driver problem. Submitting a ticket has their low level support people try to assist you via e-mail, but they don't communicate issues with the driver team.

To report a driver problem, fill out the form here:
http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/survey.asp?deptID=894&surveyID=486&type=web

DEFINITELY send feedback with this link, but you won't get any response.

Sometimes an issue is hard to discern from a true driver issue or OS issue. You won't get a response back from the Catalyst Crew Feedback form, so I still encourage people to use the TICKET. The first response or two are automated, otherwise they would have to hire more people for every problem someone has.

It needs to be escalated. Please don't give up so soon.

Thanks,
Aaron

DEFINITELY send feedback with this link, but you won't get any response.

Sometimes an issue is hard to discern from a true driver issue or OS issue. You won't get a response back from the Catalyst Crew Feedback form, so I still encourage people to use the TICKET. The first response or two are automated, otherwise they would have to hire more people for every problem someone has.

It needs to be escalated. Please don't give up so soon.

Thanks,
Aaron
Thanks for the links, although I am at my wits end.

ATI's email support basically told me to give up. They said I could contact the driver team and that Crossfire and Crysis just are not going to play nice together. I just spent four hundred and fifty fucking dollars on video cards AND I EXPECT MORE THAN THAT.

I'm not going to waste my time submitting tickets on all my games with problems just to get the same runaround. I did my best to make them aware of issues in their drivers and they just blew me off.

I'm pretty upset and if they don't fix this before NVIDIA's 9800GX2 is out, it's bye bye ATI.

Thanks for the links, although I am at my wits end.

ATI's email support basically told me to give up. They said I could contact the driver team and that Crossfire and Crysis just are not going to play nice together. I just spent four hundred and fifty fucking dollars on video cards AND I EXPECT MORE THAN THAT.

I'm not going to waste my time submitting tickets on all my games with problems just to get the same runaround. I did my best to make them aware of issues in their drivers and they just blew me off.

I'm pretty upset and if they don't fix this before NVIDIA's 9800GX2 is out, it's bye bye ATI.

I would do the same thing too if I were you. If I was still having problems with my 3870X2, I would be eBaying that sucker. I have no loyalty to either ATI or nVidia. My biggest issue seems to have subsided for the time being. If it rears its ugly head again, this thing is going to be evicted from my case and sold. You should always be able to get about 80% or more of your money back on eBay or another site if you are selling a current gen card.

I am sorry those links didn't work for you, If I happen to come across something else, I will post it in the forums.

It's frustrating not being able to talk to one of driver writers and be in the loop. Although I am sure it is possible. So far, I am still optimistic, although I have my limits.

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I'll keep my eyes open too, and hopefully this all smooths over before too long.

Can someone just clairfy... there will in fact be CrossFireX support for the X2's? Just not yet right?

None of the updates apply for me, already running SP1, I guess they are already implemented. It is only Crysis that this happens every other game I have runs perfect. So I can either run Crysis at 1920x1200 all medium with shaders on high no slowdowns but only 25-30ish FPS on 8800 GTS or I can run it 1920x1200 everything high 40-45fps with some slowdown/stuttering every now and then with 3870x2 LOL decisions...decisions...

Trying to decide which card to keep which to sell, as I am just going to upgrade once the next gen hits anyways...so these cards will only tide me over for a few months.

they still didn't fix the 2900XT DX 10 crossfire problem with Crysis. all i get is stuttering picture and shaking picture. videos still don't play right, COD4 still has the shaking screen at times. haven't even gotten to age of empires III yet.

My screen shakes sometimes as well (usually right when I get killed.) I'm using a 8800GTS 512. I think that it may be a game issue.

Hmm cant tell ya what to do but I wanna get the 3870x2. I flip flop between the two companies. I got the 3870 mostly because I wanted to play CoD4 at its best. The 3870 can do that. But for some reason I still feel let down. The card if you compare it spec for spec should beat its 8800gt counter part but for some reason it cant pull it off.

One thing I have noticed with nvidia cards is that goin from different rez's you do lose a lot of performance. There will be like a 10 fps difference with nvidia where as ati usually like 5 or less.

I dont know if I have expressed what I meant right but you get the jist.

Eh? You can't compare spec for spec. This isn't 2003 anymore. Different architectures have totally different setups. You can't compare clocks anymore, as ATI still goes off of core clock while NVIDIA has a lower core clock with way higher shader processor clocks. It's comparing apples to oranges.

Other than clocks, the 8800GT and 3870 have the same memory amount and same bus width (256bit). So I don't really know where you get the idea that a 3870 should be faster.

The new cats 8.2's are very stable no problems what so ever. No flickering or anything for me :)

How do you force DX9 in Crysis? I'll try and see if I get the same stuttering in DX9 compared to 10.

Also, I don't have any screen shaking or any other anomalies in any games, except the flickering in TF2.

How do you force DX9 in Crysis? I'll try and see if I get the same stuttering in DX9 compared to 10.

Also, I don't have any screen shaking or any other anomalies in any games, except the flickering in TF2.

Instead of double-clicking on Crysis in the games menu, right-click and you should see Play DX9. Just select it and it should switch.

As someone mentioned in another thread, the fix for Crossfire death flickering in TF2 is to Force 16x AA in the control panel and turn of AA in the game. Try it... it's still playable smooth as well.

I found a fix for my problems in UT3 and thought I would share for those who still have issues. Two issues:

1) Flickering / Hanging during map load: Setting texture quality to 4 (anything but maximum) keeps this from happening. I can't really tell a difference in image quality anyway.

2) Intermittent crashing: Edit UTEngine.ini and set bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True (by default it's false)

Valve has released an update that addresses my performance issues in Half Life 2 episode 2.

So now, the only game that sucks for me is Crysis, and I can live with that for now.

Would you guys recommend getting this new update instead of installing the ATI driver CD that came with my X1650 Pro?

I didnt install the drivers that came with the cd just the 8.2 newly released ones. COD4 perfomance is flawless along with the witcher. Cryis for me is satisfactory. One thing I noticed about Crysis is that it actually performs alot worse and is highly unstable if any premade configuration files or custom cvars are used. There are the periodic dips from as high as 60-90fps down to 15 fps .

Im waiting to see if 3870x2 can be crossfirex compatible with the new r700 or RV780..wishful thinking maybe.

Do you guys usually uninstall the old drivers and replace them with the updated drivers or do you just install the drivers and let the drivers uninstall and replace them with the new drivers. I want to upgrade to the 8.2.

kmat

Do you guys usually uninstall the old drivers and replace them with the updated drivers or do you just install the drivers and let the drivers uninstall and replace them with the new drivers. I want to upgrade to the 8.2.

kmat

I usually uninstall the old drivers, boot into safe mode, run Driver Cleaner Pro, and then reboot into windows and install the new drivers.

I usually uninstall the old drivers, boot into safe mode, run Driver Cleaner Pro, and then reboot into windows and install the new drivers.

Same here. It's the safest way to do things.

BTW, does anyone know if Driver Cleaner Pro removes Omega drivers? The last time I upgraded drivers (I've been trying all kinds of drivers because of a crash-to-desktop problem with Vanguard) I used the Omega drivers (which unfortunately didn't stop the CTD Vanguard problem). However, I ordered the HD 3850 AGP card and expect it to arrive this coming week. It's my understanding that I'll need to use the drivers that come with the card, since the 8.2 drivers don't work with the HD 3850 AGP, so I'll need to remove the Omega drivers.

driver cleaner pro guy is now smoking some serious crack and charging 9.99 for his program.

i cant find a free copy anymore. nvidia and ati make really crappy drivers so you really need sometimes that sort of thing. 9.99 is asking for it to be cracked like plumber's ass in your kitchen. Should be 4.99 then id pitch. (ew)

These made my Quake Wars lock my computer up constantly.... Wouldn't even be able to alt-F4, alt-tab, ctrl-alt-dlt ect...

had to power down my computer and turn back on.

plus while playing Asheron's call (older MMORPG) I would get a loud buzzing/whistle/whinning noise constantly...

Went back to the Omega drivers no issues what so ever.

Can't wait to get an Nvidia card again...

Same here. It's the safest way to do things.

BTW, does anyone know if Driver Cleaner Pro removes Omega drivers? The last time I upgraded drivers (I've been trying all kinds of drivers because of a crash-to-desktop problem with Vanguard) I used the Omega drivers (which unfortunately didn't stop the CTD Vanguard problem). However, I ordered the HD 3850 AGP card and expect it to arrive this coming week. It's my understanding that I'll need to use the drivers that come with the card, since the 8.2 drivers don't work with the HD 3850 AGP, so I'll need to remove the Omega drivers.

Mate it will remove the drivers but annoyingly it leaves behind the ATI Tray Tools, thats using the latest Driver Cleaner .Net

Back