Catalyst 7.9: Your Thoughts

STALKER runs fine. So do all of the others I listed.

And you need to get a life and quit following me around the forums with your trolls. Then get over the fact that the 2900XT is a great card.

lol I don't follow you around, I just found it hilarious that you named an almost 10 year old game that caps @ 640x480 and doesn't even use 3d models but sprites for graphics as one of the games that runs well on your new card.

lol I don't follow you around,

Yes you do.

This is not the only time you've popped up out of nowhere and carried on this way when I've mentioned anything about this GPU.

And you sound more desperate & silly each time you do it.

I just found it hilarious that you named an almost 10 year old game that caps @ 640x480 and doesn't even use 3d models but sprites for graphics as one of the games that runs well on your new card.

Just as I found it ridiculous for a previous poster to claim that "older" games or DX9 games don't run well on the 2900XT. Which is why for completeness I named ALL of the games I've currently played on this card, whether new, old, or in-between.

So you hate the 2900XT or ATI or whatever it is this week. So what. I don't think anyone cares.

Get over it.

7.9 works like any other ATI driver for the past couple years for me. They just work, no problemo.

Yes you do.

This is not the only time you've popped up out of nowhere and carried on this way when I've mentioned anything about this GPU.

And you sound more desperate & silly each time you do it.

Just as I found it ridiculous for a previous poster to claim that "older" games or DX9 games don't run well on the 2900XT. Which is why for completeness I named ALL of the games I've currently played on this card, whether new, old, or in-between.

So you hate the 2900XT or ATI or whatever it is this week. So what. I don't think anyone cares.

Get over it.

That's the impression I got from jmackay too.

I'm with you too, I found him antagonistic.
I raised a complaint against one post he made.

That's the impression I got from jmackay too.

Nenu said:
I'm with you too, I found him antagonistic.
I raised a complaint against one post he made.

He must be surfing the "ATI Flavor" section just looking for an excuse to pounce.

The dude seriously needs to get out of his mother's basement and get a job or something.

He must be surfing the "ATI Flavor" section just looking for an excuse to pounce.

The dude seriously needs to get out of his mother's basement and get a job or something.

Actually I surf the ATI Flavor section because... OMG I have a friend who owns the 2600xt for video work. So I keep up on all things ATI and Nvidia because I'm not a fanboy of either, but actually use both. I want to see how drivers are before I install them because I don't want to bother if people have problems, like many posters here have. I had read this thread all the way through weeks ago before I saw your post and laughed.

I just found it funny that you had quoted a game that doesn't even require an add on video card to play at max settings as one that runs great. Its like saying flash games run very well too :p.

BTW - to add another new title to the games that run great on the 2900XT: just DL'ed Team Fortress 2 beta and played for awhile. This is gonna be a great game and...IT'S A RIOT!! Can't wait for the full version so I can start cashing in the Black Box. ;) I still can't stop laughing at some of the characters!

All in-game settings maxxed and this game is running slicker than snot on a porcelain doorknob. :D :D :D

jmackay - ask your doctor if Haldol might be right 4 u. :p

I've experienced tons of glitches with the 7.9's so i went back to the 7.6 videocard drivers the 7.9s it was too buggy on my pc From games being fully screened and cant changing the size from pixel problems. :(

I also had problems with CAT since 7.8, both 7.8 and 7.9 have issues with any X1950 AGP Based card, but is quite strange that some people got issues with those drivers and the X800 series, I installed the 7.9 on my girlfriend's X800XT PE and doesn't have any issues at all.

Call out the fanboys for the pile on eh, geez can't even laugh about someone using a game from the 90s which uses sprites and doesn't even require a videocard thats better than integrated stuff to run as an example of a game that runs well.

System Requirements
Windows 95/98/NT
Pentium 90 or higher
16 MB RAM
DirectX-Compatible SVGA Video Card
Microsoft-Compatible Mouse
Double-Speed CD-ROM
(Quad Speed for Cinematics)

Macintosh
PowerMac or Compatible
16 MB RAM
System 7.6 or higher
256 Color, 640x480 Display or Better
Double-Speed CD-ROM
(Quad Speed for Cinematics)

I've watched this topic since its creation to see if these drivers were worth upgrading to, hell I've even linked to it a while back.

Sure, my comment was a bit crude, but seriously, wtf was the point of using that game as an example.

i have a x800 series ati card and the 7.9s to me seem sooo buggy i dunno i was playing The movies stunts & effects and when id choose like scenes to set up a scene of acting the bugs will start to occur such as..

The scene icons would either turn all white or black as i scroll thru other ones to choose i couldnt see how the scene would look. So what i did was install the 7.6 cats and so far i havent had problems with em i was thinkin about going back to the 6.12 ones.. if i still had problems with the 7. series of cats.

I went back to the Bioshock Hotfix driver cos a few older games refused to work with 7.9.
They crash to desktop.

I managed to get these installed without the loop I was getting from my previous post. I had to wipe out all ati drivers and use drivers cleaner to also remove the Tv wonder 650 drivers.

And finally tried ETQW its fun.

7.9 works like any other ATI driver for the past couple years for me. They just work, no problemo.

ditto, I have zero issues with any ATi drivers and havent had any for a very long time, if ever.

I officially hate the 7.9's and this has assured me the last ATI purchase.

I had been running 7.5's fine, no problems whatsoever. But I kept hearing about 7.9's being better for ET:QW, which I had just purchased. Game ran fine on the 7.5's, but figured I was due for an update anyways.

Uninstall drivers PER their instructions on the website. Reboot, then install PER the instructions on the website and BAAM!

"Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit"

Try rebooting, still the same error. Look in the add/remove software window, and it shows the software suite as well as the driver, but when I click the change/remove button, it says something about failing to initialize... Great..

So I go through all the previous cats I still have on my computer: 7.8, 7.7, and 7.5's All now generating the same error message above. Go into control panel, and the display shows Nothing, just the generic vga settings. I decide to try the add hardware button... it shows my X800 being disabled. So I try to enable it, which prompts me for the driver CD/location, to which I point it right to it, it begins the install and BAM, same error message. I've tried point to all the drivers I still have on my HD, and none of them work. Seems their uninstall utility broke something? I can't enable my video card, I can't install any drivers for it... I'm stuck. I don't know what to do now. I've submitted a ticket to ATI, but I'm sure I'll get the usual generic reply of "these issues are usually from incompatible hardware, software, or drivers" etc etc.

Anybody have any ideas? These last few drivers I've updated have been nothing but a hassle.

For what it's worth, here are my system specs:
MSI mobo
AMD 3700+ (single core)
2G RAM
Sapphire Radeon X800XL 512M
Creative X-Fi yadda yadda
Windows XP Pro, SP2, all up to date
LG LCD monitor (the only thing that has changed since running from the 7.5's)

Try running a driver cleaner program (Driver Cleaner Pro / Driver Sweeper)

same problem updated to the .net 2.0 and installed fine. chill out.
ati makes the best drivers in my opinion. every month. so if somethings wrong now theyll prob fix it next month. and so on.

same problem updated to the .net 2.0 and installed fine. chill out.
ati makes the best drivers in my opinion. every month. so if somethings wrong now theyll prob fix it next month. and so on.

Saying they will fix a big problem in a month hardly goes along with "makes the best drivers". I think it would be good if they did more frequent driver updates.

Thanks for the help, guys. I ran a driver cleaner (found a ton of crap), and even though I was running .net 2.0, I decided to run it again and did the repair option. Drivers now installed properly.

Not sure which one was the culprit, but ran both to be sure, LOL. Thanks again!

Saying they will fix a big problem in a month hardly goes along with "makes the best drivers". I think it would be good if they did more frequent driver updates.

They used to do drivers every 2-4 months, so every month is damn good. otherwise you end up with a huge list of hotfixes that you have to install in order and thats a pain in the ass on itself.
BTW, Nvidia is no faster, and is probably slower between drivers.

Installed the 7.9, and helped a buddy run Regseeker on his computer to get rid the leftovers of some spyware. I ran Regseeker on mine while I was at it to walk him through it.

I dont know what did it, but my X1950pro is running better than ever. The IQ and the FPS are all higher than I have ever seen before, I am very pleased with the 7.9's.

They used to do drivers every 2-4 months, so every month is damn good. otherwise you end up with a huge list of hotfixes that you have to install in order and thats a pain in the ass on itself.
BTW, Nvidia is no faster, and is probably slower between drivers.

Nvidia has released ~5 drivers in the last few weeks...

Nvidia has released ~5 drivers in the last few weeks...

Dude are you kidding. Just because they are on a Beta Spree it does not mean anything. How often do they update XP drivers again?

Not to stomp you down, but if they keep on going like that for a 6 month in a row, I will too raise my hat. Heck, it seems everybody has allready forgotten that Nvidia promised us with big words that they will adopt the monthly driver update program too.

All of those drivers were XP and Vista

They added game improvements and new feature (unlocked shaders)

I applied the new 7.9 hotfix to the Bioshock driver and everything I've tried runs well.
WIC (World In Conflict) runs at least 10% faster and up to 30% faster (peak figures) on my X1800.

Back