Catalyst 11.7 Released

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does change your referer mean?

Last edited:
Hope this fixes my profile issues. I haven't been able to use profiles for setting up monitor configurating (Eyefinity, Single, Dual, etc...) since 11.5.

AMD just released new Catalyst drivers.

The new drivers will bring with them support for AMD's new Fusion "Llano" A-series accelerated processing units (APUs), which embed AMD Radeon HD 6000 series GPU components. The drivers are WHQL-signed.

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 11.7 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

All issues experienced with mouse cursor lag have been resolved
Resolves system hangs seen in the AMD Catalyst 11.6 driver on specific HDMI and DP displays
Log event (Event ID 62464) issues when playing video content have been resolved
Bluray playback using PowerDVD 10 under High Performance mode no longer randomly displays a blank screen.
Bluray playback using PowerDVD 10 under High Performance mode no longer randomly hangs.
Some Divx format files no longer display video corruption using WinDVD.
AVIVO Video Quality settings are now correctly applied to Flash Video Content.
AMD SteadyVideo is now applied to Home Video clips when using WinDVD 10.
Random screen corruption is no longer displayed when changing desktop themes.
Chequerboard corruption is no longer displayed intermittently when playing DirectX 10 titles in a Crossfire configuration with
Eyefinity enabled.
Shogun II now renders the cinematics correctly when run in various Eyefinity configurations.
Video playback now works correctly when Hardware acceleration is enabled with VLC Player version 1.1.9.
720P Divx video clips no longer display stuttering when played using Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player.
Crossfire now functions correctly when playing Hamilton’s Great Adventure.
Video corruption is no longer observed when when using the Forward slider on 720P Divx format video clips using Windows
Media Player and Windows Media Center.
PowerDVD now correctly handles 3D Bluray content.
Portal 2 no longer displays flickering on water surface textures with Medium and Low Shader detail settings.
Image stabilization now functions correctly when playing Divx content using Windows Media Player.
Wraparound corruption is no longer displayed intermittently after exiting a 3D application.

Known issues under the Windows 7 operating system
The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under the Windows 7 operating system in the latest version of AMD Catalyst. These include:

Star Wars Jedi Knight II / Jedi Academy may randomly crash on launch.
Image rotation might not function correctly in Photoshop CS5.
OpenGL acceleration might not be available in Photoshop CS5.
High GPU speeds might be retained after exiting a 3D application.
Crysis 2 may display random corruption when Crossfire is enabled and run in DirectX 9 mode
Homefront may experience random crashes during gameplay.
Crossfire may not perform as expected when playing Earthsim, Bad Company 2 and Metro 2003 under DirectX 11 mode.

The 11.8's are a driver preview, non WHQL, use-at-your-own-risk driver, from what I have gathered.

Last Updated
7/27/2011
Article Number
GPU-103

AMD Catalyst Control Center / AMD Vision Engine Control Center 11.8 Driver Preview Features:
The following download provides the following features in addition to the AMD Catalyst Control Center / AMD Vision Engine Control Center 11.7 driver release

Enables AMD HD3D technology support on DisplayPort panels, such as Samsung 750 and 950 series 3D displays
Improves performance:
Up to 10% in Crysis 2 DirectX 11 version for both non-Anti-Aliasing, and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products
Up to 8% in Fear 3 DirectX 11 version with application enabled Anti-Aliasing on the AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products
Up to 30% when AMD’s Morphological Anti-Aliasing (MLAA) is enabled through the Catalyst Control Center on AMD Radeon HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products

Instructions:
Download and install the Driver Preview from the following location:

AMD Catalyst Control Center / AMD Vision Engine Control Center 11.8 Driver Preview for Windows 7 64-Bit Edition Only

Refer to Article GPU-33 for detailed instructions on how to properly install the Driver Preview.

Note! This Driver Preview is provided “AS IS” in accordance with the End User License Agreement.

The 11.8's are a driver preview, non WHQL, use-at-your-own-risk driver, from what I have gathered.

Yeah, they are use at your own risk, so download at your discretion. Regardless, I think it's cool that they give you the option. I may try them out.

Yeah, they are use at your own risk, so download at your discretion. Regardless, I think it's cool that they give you the option. I may try them out.

I've been reading another forum, folks seem to be confirming the specific performance increases with the 11.8 preview drivers.

BFBC2 is still broke for me with crossfire damnit. why............

2x 1GB 6870's

1920x1080, all settings high, 4xAA 16X AF

CF enabled 44 fps
CF disabled 55fps

eyefinity

5760x1080, all settings high, 4xAA 16X AF

CF enabled 22fps
CF disabled 31fps

bunch of bs lol

What kind of performance do you get @ 5760x1080 with 2x AA? My 1GB 5870 hit it's memory limit around 4x AA in BC2 @ 6048x1080.

Also, what is your CPU?

2x 6950's are working great in CF in BC2 @ 6048x1080 on 11.6 here.... I'll try 11.7 tonight.

Wow, you can download 11.8 already? Lol - that was fast!

Edit: The official 11.7 drivers are up on AMD's site now.

the 11.8 preview drivers are the drivers going up for WHQL certification right now which will be out late aug/early september.. its pretty much how AMD/ATI's been doing their drivers over the last couple years due to how long the WHQL certification takes..

2x 1GB 6870's

CF enabled 44 fps
CF disabled 55fps

eyefinity

CF enabled 22fps
CF disabled 31fps

bunch of bs lol

blame DICE, they broke the game for AMD/ATI cards. but i wouldn't expect AMD to fix anything in BC2, the games no longer being supported by DICE so theres no reason for AMD to support the game any longer either.

2x 1GB 6870's

CF enabled 44 fps
CF disabled 55fps

eyefinity

CF enabled 22fps
CF disabled 31fps

bunch of bs lol

Hm... My 6850 crossfire works great in BFBC2. much faster with crossfire enabled than without. I don't know what your issue is in that case, but maybe you have some sort of driver conflict or something. I am guessing you've already tried the normal driver sweeper removal of old drivers for a clean install? It may be time to try a reformat.

2x 1GB 6870's

CF enabled 44 fps
CF disabled 55fps

eyefinity

CF enabled 22fps
CF disabled 31fps

bunch of bs lol

From your old post here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036571617#post1036571617

"I think my Q6600 at 3.6ghz might be able to pull through the sandy gen. atleast until a game comes out that i see being very cpu dependent that i have to play and my Q6600 and 6870CF just cant handle."

Assuming you didn't make the jump to SandyBridge, I think you just found a game that is very CPU dependent. I moved from a [email protected] to an i7 2600k and my framerates just about doubled on a single 5870.

Last edited:

2x 1GB 6870's

CF enabled 44 fps
CF disabled 55fps

eyefinity

CF enabled 22fps
CF disabled 31fps

bunch of bs lol

This has been happening since the 10.5 release's for BFBC2. Nothing new there...

From your old post here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036571617#post1036571617

"I think my Q6600 at 3.6ghz might be able to pull through the sandy gen. atleast until a game comes out that i see being very cpu dependent that i have to play and my Q6600 and 6870CF just cant handle."

Assuming you didn't make the jump to SandyBridge, I think you just found a game that is very CPU dependent. I moved from a [email protected] to an i7 2600k and my framerates just about doubled on a single 5870 at 6048x1080.

Ive actually reinstalled windows 3 diff times and used 3 diff initial driver to make sure there were no residual drivers left over used 10.4's 11.5's 11.6's

Im pretty sure its not the cpu one of my friends i play with nightly has a Q6600 stock at 2.4ghz and gets close to double my fps with his 6970 at 1920x1200. He hovers around 90fps.

Which is about the same performance i should be getting with my crossfire 6870's if they were not negative scaling me in bfbc2.

The only diff he has 2gb of memory on his gpu but even with AA off results are the same with crossfire doing negative scaling in BFBC2. im not the only one with that issue tho it works for some people and others like me it works in reverse. He doesnt have 2 6970's to test if CF works for him or not.

I just checked BFBC2 vietnam also and its about a 10fps drop going into crossfire from non crossfire on operation hastings same settings i had above at 1920x1080 and its 76fps vs 66fps.

I have an asus Crosshair V / 3.2ghz phenom 2 BE coming in about a week to mess around with until i get an 8core bulldozer in sept. I already have 16GB ddr3 sitting here waiting for it.

so ive basicly got an amd sidegrade + coming here shortly to mess with and see if its still broke on that setup.

Im going to lap the phenom for fun along with its stock heat sink lol.. and see how it turns out. if i like how it turns out i might end up lapping the bulldozer but i doubt it since the bulldozer will be sitting under an H100.

I've been reading another forum, folks seem to be confirming the specific performance increases with the 11.8 preview drivers.

I loaded the 11.8 preview drivers, I am getting about a 9% increase in frame rate in Crysis 2.

Im pretty sure its not the cpu one of my friends i play with nightly has a Q6600 stock at 2.4ghz and gets close to double my fps with his 6970 at 1920x1200. He hovers around 90fps.

Which is about the same performance i should be getting with my crossfire 6870's if they were not negative scaling me in bfbc2.

If I were able to get even close to a 60fps average in MP at 1920x1080 with my [email protected] & 5870 1GB I would not have upgrade to the i7 2600k. The game was really smooth in singleplayer, but dropped into the 30's frequently in full MP games. Have you played on this machine yourself? 90fps in multiplayer on a stock q6600 seems like BS to me. The game is highly cpu limited and hovered around 99% cpu usage for me on that q6600. Adding additional cpu overhead (crossfire) seems like it would drop performance.

11.7 uninstaller bricked my system. I usually uninstall>reboot>install>reboot>play. Barely got past step 1 today. After using the uninstaller in 11.7 I could no longer boot into windows. BSOD's and freezes with nice checkerboard patterns. Safe mode worked fine.. but you cannot install drivers in safe mode. I ended up restoring from a recent img. I'm going to try the 11.5 uninstaller next (I'm currently running 11.5b) to see if that works. Buyer beware...

My2c

I installed over 11.6 and everything seems fine. I installed 11.6Cap3 with 11.7 and it resolved the crossfire lights issue in The Witcher 2. Everything seems ok on my end.

^^^ Well using the 11.5b uninstaller did not work either. Same result. So it looks as if the new drivers are off the table as a suspect. I'm still wondering why these 11.5b drivers won't uninstall properly though. Installed 11.7 over the top and it seems to have worked ok. :confused:

11.7 uninstaller bricked my system. I usually uninstall>reboot>install>reboot>play. Barely got past step 1 today. After using the uninstaller in 11.7 I could no longer boot into windows. BSOD's and freezes with nice checkerboard patterns. Safe mode worked fine.. but you cannot install drivers in safe mode. I ended up restoring from a recent img. I'm going to try the 11.5 uninstaller next (I'm currently running 11.5b) to see if that works. Buyer beware...

My2c

Driver cleaner is your friend. It would clean out all those nasty remnants for you.

Guessing Punkbuster is still causing crashes when it scans AMD card vRAM when using overlay applications. Pretty annoying having to close Afterburner, manually setting fan speed in CCC, and making sure any other overlays such as task manager are closed when playing anything with Punkbuster. Punkbuster causes more trouble to the legit people then it does to the cheaters...

Also been having issues with older OpenGL games such as eDuke32 with polymer crashing after about 10 minutes of play, from what hear is caused from some sort of vRAM leak that appeared after 10.4 Catalyst.

Problems only AMD seems to have...

Well, I tried 11.8 and honestly, I can't tell much of a difference in performance for Crysis 2. Still shitty performance on AMD cards. I booted up Fear 3 and all the text appears corrupted with these drivers. I fired up Warhead and ran through the last level. Despite the frame rate dipping below 60 fps on the level, the game looks/feels soooo much smoother than Crysis 2 at greater than 60 fps. Weird....

Tried the 11.8 driver, not seeing any Crysis 2 DX11 improvements on my 6950 rig, still getting the same FPS.

Wasn't that fixed on 11.6?

Apparently it was fixed in 11.5b, which I was running last, but the issue is still there.

Can't wait for my RAM to arrive so I can actually install these new drivers. Anyone have solid numbers or a review?

Can't wait to try these out, thanks for letting me know.
I'ave heard there's some performance boosts in 11.7 when upgrading from 11.6.
Has anyone noticed this?

Aaaaand I still can't play BC2 without a hard freeze less than 1 minute after joining a game.

Does the 11.8 drivers offer all the same fixes listed in 11.7 along with the fps gains in those 2 or 3 games and MLAA improvements? Reason I ask is when Terry Makedon was Catalyst Creator he mentioned whether the drivers were different or the same but as of now I don't know if the 11.8 are based on 11.7 or not.

I installed 11.7 for a few fixes mentioned and would like to try 11.8 as I may play through Crysis 2 again for DX 11 & High Res Textures. Also F3AR is on my gotta buy soon list.

Does the 11.8 drivers offer all the same fixes listed in 11.7 along with the fps gains in those 2 or 3 games and MLAA improvements? Reason I ask is when Terry Makedon was Catalyst Creator he mentioned whether the drivers were different or the same but as of now I don't know if the 11.8 are based on 11.7 or not.

I installed 11.7 for a few fixes mentioned and would like to try 11.8 as I may play through Crysis 2 again for DX 11 & High Res Textures. Also F3AR is on my gotta buy soon list.

I'm assuming 11.8 offers all the same fixes as 11.7 but can't say for sure. What I can say for sure is do not play F3AR on 11.8. All the cinemas on 11.8 are corrupted and most of the text in the game is corrupted as well.

Aaaaand I still can't play BC2 without a hard freeze less than 1 minute after joining a game.

Make sure any type of hardware monitoring/overlay applications are not running. They sometimes conflict with Punkbuster and cause hard lock ups.

Installed 11.8, I don't have any issues atm, I mainly wanted to test out the increases in MorphAA and it still runs and looks like shit. Why anyone would use it is beyond me.

Tested Witcher 2, Divinity II: DKS, GTA IV, Shogun II, BC2, L4D2, and Batman AA.

MLAA looks ok in some games (especially games that don't support any other type of AA), but it always seems to incur a lot of input lag. Basically unusable in every game because of it :confused:

The lack of automatic game profiles also means you have to turn it on manually every time you want to play something, and turn it off again when you're done so it doesn't screw with 2D applications (unless you use a 3rd party tool like RadeonPro). Too much of a pain in the ass.

Back