• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Catalyst 10.8 Install = black borders around screen?

Flapjack

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 29, 2000
Messages
3,210
Hey everyone. I've tried every which way to install 10.8 and I just cannot get it to install without leaving a 1" black border around my 23" Asus LCD at the native 1920x1080 resolution. If I revert back using system restore, all is well.

I've even tried doing a complete flush of all ATI software using a combo of the ATI software uninstaller and Driver Sweeper. I still get the same thing.

So now I'm back at 10.7 wondering what in the world is going on.

During the install, I get one "warning", but nothing is apparent when I click on the installation log. Also, CCC won't open after the 10.8 install. CCC works just fine in 10.7.

Any ideas? Here are my system specs:

AMD Phenom II 940
Win7 x64
Radeon 5850
ECS A790GXM-A
 
Go into CCC
upper left click graphics
Then desktop and displays
right click on the icon of the LCD in the bottom left
Click configure
Scaling options tab
set the slider to 0%
 
Go into CCC
upper left click graphics
Then desktop and displays
right click on the icon of the LCD in the bottom left
Click configure
Scaling options tab
set the slider to 0%
Like I said. Once I install 10.8, I cannot get CCC to open. If I revert back to 10.7, CCC opens just fine and there is no resolution problem (resolutions fits full LCD).
 
Whats crazy is, 10.8 fixed this issue for me, with 10.7 I couldn't get the scaling to work properly.
 
Whats crazy is, 10.8 fixed this issue for me, with 10.7 I couldn't get the scaling to work properly.
Yeah. I've never had a problem like this. I always just uninstall the ATI drivers using their uninstaller, then install the new ones. What gives?
 
Yeah. I've never had a problem like this. I always just uninstall the ATI drivers using their uninstaller, then install the new ones. What gives?

I never use ATI uninstaller, I go straight to programs and features and then I restart the computer and then load the ATI drivers.
 
I cannot even get my computer to boot with 10.8 drivers installed. Black screen hang up over here, and it is now the third time I've had to hard shut down my system and re-verify my RAID array.

Going to try 10.7 drivers. Getting really sick of ATI's bullshit...every release is full of trouble for me.
 
I never use ATI uninstaller, I go straight to programs and features and then I restart the computer and then load the ATI drivers.

Same here...and I've never had any problems w/ any versions of the AMD drivers (or maybe just 1 or 2), including 10.8. If you're constantly having driver installation problems w/ a 5xxx series card you might want to look at your system more carefully to look for other issues...just saying...ie., bios updates, other hardware or driver conflicts, motherboard stability, psu, etc.
 
10.7 has the same problem...black screen and hang up. ATI seems to have a lot of problems...can't get screen profiles right, cannot scale well with Crossfire, cannot even boot. nVidia is starting to look really, really good right about now.

WTF...even 10.6 has issues. I'm trying 10.4 now (the version I had on my system before I reinstalled W7 tonight). Seriously ATI, WTF. Maybe there is a driver conflict somewhere...doesn't make sense yet but I'll find it.
 
Last edited:
Are you running a monitor through an active DP adapter? Try unplugging the USB power from the adapter if you are. If I do not have a monitor plugged into the adapter, but the adapter is getting power, then my 5870 does the same black boarder thing from 10.4 and on (never tested earlier than that).
 
It's the overscan setting not being remembered by the 10.8 driver. It's a known bug and there are some homebrew fixes, but it's still a pain in the ass.
Every time I change my resolution (or switch inputs from my PC to my cable box or PS3), the overscan settings reset and I have 2" of black borders on all sides.
Apparently the next hotfix will fix this.
 
I cannot even get my computer to boot with 10.8 drivers installed. Black screen hang up over here, and it is now the third time I've had to hard shut down my system and re-verify my RAID array.

Going to try 10.7 drivers. Getting really sick of ATI's bullshit...every release is full of trouble for me.
Like I said, I've had no troubles until now. Nvidia drivers have always installed properly (when I had my dual 8800GTs), but I had many more in-game issues.

10.7 has the same problem...black screen and hang up. ATI seems to have a lot of problems...can't get screen profiles right, cannot scale well with Crossfire, cannot even boot. nVidia is starting to look really, really good right about now.
This certainly doesn't qualify for a reason to go running to Nvidia. What, you want to deal with higher power demands, extra noise and excessive heat? Not to mention, you'd be spending a lot of money to swap out to Nvidia, with no guarantee that driver upgrades are going to be perfect with them, either (on top of the power/noise/heat issues). All this, and ATI is well ahead of their next product cycle. In a few months, all the fools who went out and bought noisy-ass Nvidia setups are going to be kicking themselves in the when ATI comes out with their next series. How late was Fermi??

It's the overscan setting not being remembered by the 10.8 driver. It's a known bug and there are some homebrew fixes, but it's still a pain in the ass.
Every time I change my resolution (or switch inputs from my PC to my cable box or PS3), the overscan settings reset and I have 2" of black borders on all sides.
Apparently the next hotfix will fix this.
Do you have a link to something on this? I'd love to read more.
 
I'm seriously considering going back to 10.6/.5/.4 or something, since 10.7 / 10.8 seem responsible for random failures to start on my desktop. The last few Catalyst versions have been flakey as hell for me, but I've been blaming my 4 series hardware, assuming they're only really testing 5 series stuff and ramping up for the 6s.
 
This certainly doesn't qualify for a reason to go running to Nvidia. What, you want to deal with higher power demands, extra noise and excessive heat? Not to mention, you'd be spending a lot of money to swap out to Nvidia, with no guarantee that driver upgrades are going to be perfect with them, either (on top of the power/noise/heat issues). All this, and ATI is well ahead of their next product cycle. In a few months, all the fools who went out and bought noisy-ass Nvidia setups are going to be kicking themselves in the when ATI comes out with their next series. How late was Fermi??

I agree that any one of those issues alone would not be a reason to go back to nVidia, but put them all together and it sometimes seems like a good idea to pick up dual 460s. Neither driver sets are perfect (and I work with both a lot) but for some reason my gaming rig requires too much ATI related reconfigurations...
 
Do you have a link to something on this? I'd love to read more.

I'm limited by what I can reach at work, but I believe I saw this in 2 places: Guru3D and the ATI gaming forums. There's an executable file called ATI_Overscan_Fix (or something like that) that people have been posting, but it's not perfect. One of the ATI devs said it would be addressed in the next release...whatever that means.
 
Maybe I'll just skip 10.8 for now. Geez. At least my games seem to be running fine (with the exception of Crysis crashing on the aircraft carrier... I don't think that's a video card issue, though).
 
From what I've read, I guess 10.8's good for single cards that aren't using any overscan/understan scaling. If you hunt through the complaint threads, almost all of them are related to scaling and Crossfire performance.
If they can fix the scaling issue with 10.8a, I'd be satisfied with the numbers my single 5870 is getting.
 
From what I've read, I guess 10.8's good for single cards that aren't using any overscan/understan scaling. If you hunt through the complaint threads, almost all of them are related to scaling and Crossfire performance.
If they can fix the scaling issue with 10.8a, I'd be satisfied with the numbers my single 5870 is getting.
Any idea when 10.8a is coming out?
 
Not a clue. I've been checking Guru3D every afternoon, but haven't seen anything.
Since it's already September, at this point I'd suspect we'll just see the fix as part 10.9.
 
Not a clue. I've been checking Guru3D every afternoon, but haven't seen anything.
Since it's already September, at this point I'd suspect we'll just see the fix as part 10.9.
I'll keep my eyes open then, and just skip this one. No big deal, really.
 
Ok, here's what I did.

Instead of downloading the entire Catalyst Suite, I just downloaded the Display Driver only. Before that, I went ahead and downloaded the latest 2010 C++ redistributable (ATI installs the 2008 redistributable).

When I installed the driver, I automatically got the border. I was, however, able to open up CCC. The sliders were already at 0, but I was able to go through all the options and uncheck scaling altogether. All is well now.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions. Hopefully this bug will be fixed when the next update is released.
 
Reverted back to 10.7. The system kept going to a black screen (even though the fans were running). When I rebooted, the scaling would be off. I'd have to go back into CCC and click around until both LCDs were scaled properly. Rolled the driver back to 10.7. Hopefully it's back to normal.
 
Ok, now I'm getting the same blackscreen every other day or so, causing me to have to do a hard reboot. I'm sick of this crap, I'm considering going back to Nvidia...
 
Ok, now I'm getting the same blackscreen every other day or so, causing me to have to do a hard reboot. I'm sick of this crap, I'm considering going back to Nvidia...
Just revert back to 10.7. My blackscreens went away. It's not like every Nvidia driver release is perfect. ATI had a bad driver release. I got over it... you should too.
 
I see that 10.8a and even a 10.8b "hotfix" are out now. Has anyone with the black borders problem tried them? I plan to tonight...
 
Flapjack, this is a know bug for 10.8. You can revert to 10.7 or instead if you really want to use the 10.8's you can setup a custom resolution and apply this instead.

Drawback of a custom resolution is that you will have to run at a slightly lower resolution than your screens native resolution, but it will allow you to have no issue with problematic games such as Crysis / Crysis Warhead / Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands, which have always black borders under ATI when you want to set the resolution to your native HDTV of 1920x1080. Just set the resolution in-game to your custom resolution

On how to setup a custom resolution just google it up. Playing On a HDTV using ATI is a bit tricky but possible. If you have a HDTV which supports 1:1 Pixel mapping then set it to this and you can create a custom resolution of lets say 1912x1076 for which you don't loose much screen estate, apply it and everything will run fine under 10.8.
 
I know it's a bug for 10.8. That's why I was hoping 10.8a or 10.8b would've fixed it. I take it they don't...

Flapjack, this is a know bug for 10.8. You can revert to 10.7 or instead if you really want to use the 10.8's you can setup a custom resolution and apply this instead.

Drawback of a custom resolution is that you will have to run at a slightly lower resolution than your screens native resolution, but it will allow you to have no issue with problematic games such as Crysis / Crysis Warhead / Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands, which have always black borders under ATI when you want to set the resolution to your native HDTV of 1920x1080. Just set the resolution in-game to your custom resolution

On how to setup a custom resolution just google it up. Playing On a HDTV using ATI is a bit tricky but possible. If you have a HDTV which supports 1:1 Pixel mapping then set it to this and you can create a custom resolution of lets say 1912x1076 for which you don't loose much screen estate, apply it and everything will run fine under 10.8.
 
Nope - no fix for the overscan issue. In fact, it seems like the 10.8b bugfixed one thing for Crossfire and that's it. On the plus side, September is almost 1/2 over so I'd assume the 10.9's can't be too far off.
 
Nope - no fix for the overscan issue. In fact, it seems like the 10.8b bugfixed one thing for Crossfire and that's it. On the plus side, September is almost 1/2 over so I'd assume the 10.9's can't be too far off.
That's what I'll wait for then.

As for 10.7, has anyone ever noticed cursor artifacts? I only get it one one side if the screen. It goes away for a while if I reboot.
 
Back
Top