Cataloging Archived HDDs

M76

[H]F Junkie
What is the best way to build a catalogue / database from lots of archived HDDs?
I want a comprehensive database that at the bare minimum stores file names and directory structure in a browsable, searchable fashion.

A freeware / open source solution is preferable. Or something based on MSAcces could also work.

So far all the utilities I found were mostly designed for CDs, and they crapped out after crawling 2-3 8TB HDDs. Others would do the crawling so slowly that it would take days to catalogue just one HDD. And we're talking about dozens here.

ASAP Utilities in Excel can do this with the import function. Can load all file names, locations, and dozens of metadata selections as well as hyperlinks if wanted.

please define "browsable"

It doesn't require a lot of programming
to convert a .txt files to .htm .

Converting it into html or importing it into excel won't make it browsable. Like you're browsing your computer in explorer. I thought it is self-explanatory what browsable means. Ie. I don't get a gigantic list with 10 million lines, but a tree structure where I only see the top level at first and I can click on any disk / directory to go deeper.

In a pinch, we've found that a list of plain URLs
are converted into HTML links by copying and pasting
that list into a Gmail message.

Try it with this URL:

https://hardforum.com

Highlight, copy, paste into a Gmail message,
then SEND that message to yourself.

In your INBOX, that message should contain
that URL in HTML format.

EDIT: I just tried it, but this Forum also converts to HTML.
So, paste that URL into NOTEPAD first, then follow
the sequence above.
I have no idea what are you talking about and how is this remotely relevant.

Converting it into html or importing it into excel won't make it browsable. Like you're browsing your computer in explorer. I thought it is self-explanatory what browsable means. Ie. I don't get a gigantic list with 10 million lines, but a tree structure where I only see the top level at first and I can click on any disk / directory to go deeper.

Directory Opus will export Directory listings, not sure if that is browsable or not, the program is about $66, but you can get a 60 day trial license to try it out.
https://www.gpsoft.com.au/program/program.html

Years ago I started writing a similar type application however it was taking way too much of my free time so I ended the development.

Back