• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Cat6a Cable Fault Help

Joined
Jan 18, 2011
Messages
16
Hi,
I'm new on this forum, so apologies in advance if I've not searched properly for an answer to this query !

I've cabled my home with Cat6a cable. The cables are terminated in different rooms using wall mounted Connectix 10G keystones, with all the cables feeding back to my server cabinet, where they terminate in a Connectix 10G patch panel. Switching is done using a Netgear GS724T Smart, with ADSL & DHCP handled by a Netgear DG834G.

All the network wall points work fine except for one and I can't work out what the problem is. I can't establish a network link to the port (have used various patch leads & equipment that works ok elsewhere). The confusing thing is that the cable tests ok when I use a LAN tester tool (the type that checks each of the 8 network cable cores in turn). So no wires appear to be crossed or damaged. The test tool also shows that the keystone at each end of the cable is ok.

Any ideas what I'm missing here and what could be causing this ? I really don't want to attempt to try & replace the cable as it's about 20m long & runs through a few walls. (Note that the longest cable on my network is around 45m, and that works ok).

Thanks,
Andy
 
So you have tested the run from keystone to keystone and it tests fine.

Are you using the same equipment on each end? Have you tried to move the device to a different jack just to make sure it isn't the NIC that is bad?

If the devices on each end of the link are proven good then I would say you have interference issues. The run is too close and parallel to a power line or something similiar.
 
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I've checked keystone to keystone and it's ok. Have used the same test equipment on the other network ports & they check out fine too (and work). So this one line is puzzling me as the testing says it's ok, but the link won't come up. I've tried different ports on the NIC but still no luck (I've even tried with a different network switch).

I checked the cores into the wall keystone last night & they seem ok, as does the sheilding and drain wire to earth. Next I'll check again the wiring state at the patch panel keystone.

I did wonder about interference, but given that I'm using sheilded Cat6a I would have hoped this wouldn't cause a problem. It's also a domestic installation, which should help (?).

Is there any different equipment that I can use to test for interference ?

Andy
 
Ok, managed to get the link up. I inspected the termination of the cable at the patch panel end, and it was a bit suspect. So cut & re-terminated, and the link is now up - showing gigabit duplex on my smart switch, which is what I was after.

I do think I need to improve the earthing of my patch panel though - any experience simply linking the cabinet to the electrical ring main earth ?

Andy
 
Ok, managed to get the link up. I inspected the termination of the cable at the patch panel end, and it was a bit suspect. So cut & re-terminated, and the link is now up - showing gigabit duplex on my smart switch, which is what I was after.

I do think I need to improve the earthing of my patch panel though - any experience simply linking the cabinet to the electrical ring main earth ?

Andy

I was going to suggest cutting and re-terminating. ;) I'm glad that you got it sorted.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top