Cat6 Stranded vs Solid cable questions.

Cheatdeath

n00b
Hello this is my first time posting here, I hope its a true [H]ard experience because I need some advice. So I am moving on to a gigabit network, getting a gigabit router and switch ect. I will be running cat6 cable and planned to terminate them myself I have always done this with cat 5 and never had issues. I have been reading up on the Stranded and Solid type cable and I cant get a real solid grasp on what cable to use if I plan to make "patch" type cables to setup my gear "solid or stranded". I have been reading posts on other forums and whatever I can find about making cables and some say its not possible to terminate cat6 to function at full speed at home, is this some bull crap from some cable selling mofo or is this legit? So basically I need to know should I buy stranded or solid for making homemade cat6 rj45 terminated cables or am I wasting my time. I want to run custom length cables and have it look nice.

Thanks

1) Stranded cable is used for Patch cables (router to PC) and not for running inside walls/attics.
2) Solid cable is used for Runs, in wall/ceiling/attic.

I have been making patch cables since I was 12, don't believe that idiot. However, don't waste your time, check out www.monoprice.com

Yeah...you can get pre-made cables in about any size you want for cheap. Not worth making them.

I do know and have read that buying pre-made cables is probably a good idea. I though prefer to do these things myself and get the fully custom feel. Somewhat enjoy it as well, I do not work in the IT or computer world so it is not boring to me. Just needed confirmation that making cat6 patch cables with stranded cable and proper cat6 connectors is not indeed harder to get good results as cat 5.

what connectors do you guys use? I am seeing the cat6 connectors are modular are these needed for best results?

I decided to try these @work, you need their crimper, but for Cat6, you have to use a good end.
http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tool...LS6Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332042126&sr=8-2

thats all we have been using at work, and what a difference compared to the old style. you can cut the wires really long, straighten them out nice, and feed them through the connector with ease. no more cables with not enough shielding in the connector itself. but as spyder said, you need there crimper because when you crimp, it cuts the remaining wire that is sticking out of the connector. also that same brand sell another piece for the connector to add stress relied. it is almost like a rubber boot, but adds a more "production look" to the cables.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I used to make my own but it's cheaper to just buy them premade and tested and on the shelf when you need them. For temporary stuff or extra long runs I will occasionally make my own.

Back