Cat6 keystone jacks: Legitimacy questions

FoxFlame

Limp Gawd
I'm running cat6 in a few locations. Newegg doesn't sell the Cat6 keystone jacks.

So I'm browsing the rest of the net for them (after shunning Home Depot for trying to charge me $10 each) and find most charge five to six bucks each.

I did find a few places that charge about 2.50 or less, so I guess I'm asking:

Has anyone else here run Cat6 and had experience with these cheaper keystone jacks?

On the one hand, I don't want to buy a jack that claims to be Cat6, and get one that's actually Cat5e. (I'm not the most trusting soul. It's served me well in the past.)

Is there a tester out there that can verify Cat6 runs through the whole line?

$2.50 versus $6 might seem like a trifle, until you learn I'm going to need about 20 or so of these, installed across several houses. ($50 versus $120)

It won't be hard to replace these if I get burned, but it would be really irksome, to say the least. :) (Not to mention a waste of money)

Thanks in advance for your advice and experiences in this matter!

Wow, thanks for the link! That's a great price!

And these work at gigabit speeds without a problem? I'm in for 20!

o_O

Now I'm confused. So why is Cat6 better? Because it can do 10 gigabit if it's under 120 feet runs? How far does Cat5e do gigabit before attenuation kills it?

With long runs (nearing 100m) cat6 will hold gb speeds better, but if your not doing long runs, cat5e is great, and cheaper.

Cat6 is not really needed, 10gb is still way to expensive

Welp...at least I won't have to rerun cable for a very long time, eh? Thanks for the info. Wish I'd asked here first!

And already bookmarked monoprice.com!

With long runs (nearing 100m) cat6 will hold gb speeds better, but if your not doing long runs, cat5e is great, and cheaper.

No it won't.

Same for both cable types.

Cat 5e is perfectly fine for GigE regardless of length.

I asked a technical support rep at Krone about using Cat5 patch panels with Cat6-Cat7 cable. He said it's fine, just take care that the cable gripping mechanism isn't overly tightened as the Cat6 cable is thicker. I think that's what it boils down to when comparing the jacks: cable diameter. When I looked at the specs more closely Krone Cat5 is really pretty fat compared with many other brands, so their keystones will take many other brand cables easily.

Back