CAT5e vs CAT6

PixPirate

Limp Gawd
I'm rewiring the house to support Gigabit Ethernet since the NICs and Routers have gotten so cheap.

Is the any advantage to using CAT6 cable instead of CAT5e? The 5e is cheaper and seems to be easier to handle. CAT6 looks like it's capable of more theoretical bandwidth (500 or 550 MHz vs. 300 MHz for 5e) but as both are certified for 1Gb I don't see the need. Does CAT6 provide more max length or better shielding or anything like that?

I haven't heard even rumors of anything over 1Gb running over copper so 'futureproofing' does not seem to be an issue. Of course that's what they said about Cat5 and 100Mbps Ethernet a few years ago!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

PP

10G 'can' go over Cu and 'requires' CAT6+ though most implementations I've seen have gone to fiber at that point. For your home, Cat5e is going to be absolutely fine. Use STP grade if you can as it's shielded and solid-core versus stranded.

Also, if this is a new home make sure you follow code... otherwise this could delay your home's construction significantly.

Edit: If you don't already have them, www.monoprice.com is a good place to grab the ends, wall-plates, etc.

Yeah, to run 10GB over copper, it's calling for Cat6a and/or Cat7. Cat6 is a waste over Cat5e IMO.

Orinthical said:
Use STP grade if you can as it's shielded and solid-core versus stranded.

Most bulk cabling is UTP solid-core. STP is a waste unless you want to burn some cash.

mike2323 said:
Most bulk cabling is UTP solid-core. STP is a waste unless you want to burn some cash.

Solid-Core UTP / 1000ft Spool: $72.00
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cs_id=1023303&p_id=877&seq=1&format=2&style=

Solid-Core STP / 1000ft Spool: $95.60
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cs_id=1023302&p_id=894&seq=1&format=2&style=

Having less chance of interference when wiring a house, for $23.60 difference, is a winner in my book. I hope the OP isn't buying from Home Depot after all. :) If you are, you need to look to an online vendor. Much cheaper if you're after a spool...

very few installations use shielded cable. it is more expensive, harder to install, and really not needed unless you are in a big industrial environment. UTP is fine for the average home/business.
Jeff

jeffmoss26 said:
very few installations use shielded cable. it is more expensive, harder to install, and really not needed unless you are in a big industrial environment. UTP is fine for the average home/business.
Jeff

Meh /shrug. Go with UTP then. Just remember to try and stay away from power cables and other sources of EMI whenever possible; if you must cross one of them do so at ninety degrees to limit exposure.

jeffmoss26 said:
Jeff

Not to mention all the patch cables from PC to wall will need to be STP as well. Otherwise you get into grounding issues that can cause more problems than STP solves.

If anything, I'd say a more prudent thing to do is check and see if plenum cabling is required by your state or city fire codes. If it is and you use the regular stuff, you could really end up in big trouble should something ever happen with that house.

In addition to crossing power cables at a 90 degree angle, you should have the two lines separated by about 3 feet at a minimum.

Back