CAT5e cabling question

Ultra Wide

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently re-wired my condo for data. There was CAT5e cable already present so I changed it from the voice to data. I am concerned whether my connections are good enough. I read that you should not unstrip more than 1/2", but these cables were stiff and very hard to work with. I did un-bind some pair a little too much maybe? I keep hearing about twisted pairs and cross cancellation and not being able to achieve 350mhz(gigabit) unless the twisting is top notch.

What do u think? Do I need to redo the wires so the pairs are more tighly twisted together?

I did an initial test with 100mbps and it works fine, but not sure at gigabit speeds.

I think you'll be just fine.

Per GigE spec you only need 4 pairs of Cat 5. Not even Cat 5e.

I would not worry about it. If you were running the full 100 meters they you might want to think about it. The lines on the PCB arnt twisted are they!! ;)

I'll have to see if I can get a pic of the back of my 24 port punchdown for ya.. I run Gig over it all day long.. No errors or issues.

snip back just a tad of those pairs and get the jacket closer to the punch terms and youll have no issues running gigE

Back