• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cat5 Wiring

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
2FA
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
10,477
I have two rooms where i have run a cat5e cable the wall from one room to the other. I have put on rj45 cat5 jacks and wired the jacks using the 568A specs. However when i plug my computer into one end the other into the switch, I get limeted or no connectivity.
I have checked my punches on my jacks, and I get a tone over line but something is messed up.

Any Ideas at what could be going on?
Do i have to use 568B Specs for this?
 
It does not matter if you use the 568A or 568B as long as it is the same for both ends.

Are you getting a link light on the back of your PC? That is the first place to start. If you are not getting a link light on the switch or the PC then it is a physical cable issue. If you have a tester test the cable for continuity. You may have one pin that is off or in the wrong spot. It is very easy to get the wires crossed when crimping them down.

Hope this helps.

-Axel
 
What else is plugged into that switch? Is anything providing DHCP or are you using static TCP/IP Addresses? Windows XP supports Auomatic IP Address configurations (and I'm sure they carried that over to Vista), so if you plug in two computers to that switch, theoretically they should be able to talk to each other. However, you will still get that message saying you have limited or no connectivity on both computers.
 
Back
Top