CAT5 Line test

LoStMaTt

2[H]4U
Have you guys found any reliable CAT5 line testers? I have to test 30+ cables that are not labeled and need to see why I do not have a connection for just a single line.

Suggestions?

If you've got a Home Depot in the area go grab a Tone Generator and Tracer to figure out which cable is which.

They also have a nice cable tester that checks for continuity on each pair, crosswires, etc.

You'll have to tone them out while they are plugged into anything though.

Look at this:
http://ideal.datacomtools.com/idealcatalog/multimedia-testers.htm

Not necessarily purchased from there, Google and/or PriceGrabber.com and look for the best price. They might even have it at Home Depot.

I have one and love it. It has ports for RJ-45, RJ-11 and Coax. It has a remote unit that you plug into the other end and works as a tone generator also.

Note: It comes with two patch cables to enable you to plug either cables in or plug into existing jacks (male and/or female). When I tested some data cables the first time I got errors that threw me for a loop. Then I tested the patch cables that came with it and got faiures on both of them. Not sure if they are wired to an old standard or what.

Back