CAT Cable, extension?

A2TheRizzo

Limp Gawd
Hello. I'll start off by saying I'm starting to use Linux more and more, but the only thing holding me back is my internet. I am using a Wireless PCI card w/ SRX, but Linux just can not detect it. I just went in my basement, and hooked up my old computer with a PCI wireless card, and plugged some CAT cable in. To my dismay, it worked flawlessly. So my main computer is in my bedroom, and the router is in the basement, and I need to run cable all the way up 2 floors. I measured with a 50ft. cable, but it just made it to my second flight of stairs. I was thinking of buying a 100 ft cable, but I don't want it to come up short. If it does, I want to have a backup. I was wondering if there was any type of thing to be able to use 2 cables- sort of like a connector so in case 100ft isnt enough, I could add on the extra 50.

Thanks,
A2TheRizzo.

That's generally a bad idea. You lose a lot of bandwith by using an extender.

Take the first CAT cable as far as it will go, then use a switch, and run the second CAT cable to your computer. Very little to no speed should be lost.

Just get one of these:

NTG_NS_9892_FS605IS_BIG.gif

They are cheap, and they work.

Buy a ball of string - use it to check the distance and get a cable the correct size.

While you can get a coupler to join the two lenghts of wire - it's not an optimal choice since it will degrade your signal a bit (a bit or more depending on the quality of the piece).

Folks - he hasn't brought the cable yet - why are you suggesting getting extra equipment that he'll have to power instead of just buying the correct size cable?

m3ta1head said:
Well in that case, just buy a 1000ft roll of unassemblled cat5 for cheap
... and buy the crimper, and a decent pair of utility scissors, and the ends.

Or... measure the distance and buy to fit. Normally I'm all in favor of make your own cables (even when not appropriate, as has been pointed out to me here more than once), but in this case where it's a one time use getting all the tools for making your own cables doesn't seem to make much sense.

Having excess cat5 sitting around is always nice though, especially if you start running a folding farm :p

Malk-a-mite said:
*wonders why I bother to post at all......*

To get the cool caption under your name...duh!

Also other people might have the same problem and read it.

Back