Cat 8.9's?

My experience: STAY AWAY!

They gave me blue screens, reboots and instability. Your mileage may vary.

yangshe, have you tried Crysis Warhead, or just Crysis one on both the 8.8's and 8.9's?

I haven't had a chance to try crysis as I had to do a fresh install :(....ie I tried running GRID and it will just reboot...so I'm going to try 8.8's again

I wonder what is causing so many issues though? lol

Maybe AMD cpu systems are ok and they are trying to get Intel users to switch....

jk who knows?

All is well here... I have not had a single bluescreen or any anomalous activity since upgrading from the 8.8s.

I'm still running the 8.7s... should I upgrade to the 8.8s? Is there a significant advantage?

Still having the same problems with the 8.8s and 8.9s, get an error message and have to re-boot twice for the drivers to work. This is after a nice clean fresh install of vista.

4850 crossfire by the way

i was using 8.7's , an went to 8.9's no problems what so ever , i was trying to place crysis warhead on the 8.7's an it would crash constantly...

so far i've tried
grid , crysis warhead , team fortress 2 , & cod 4 an no problems

For some reason the CCC won't work for me at all. Says my GPU isn't supported. So I just installed the drivers themselves. This is my first time running after installing my new 4870. I'll try 8.8s if I see any instability.

nice job ATI on the drivers...

Hopefully 8.10 will work things out, but an error message after a clean install of vista, c'mon.

I just installed the crysis demo on xp pro, and the game crashed within in 20 seconds of jumping out of the plane. I guess I'll have to upgrade my 8.7s to something more stable.

I just installed the crysis demo on xp pro, and the game crashed within in 20 seconds of jumping out of the plane. I guess I'll have to upgrade my 8.7s to something more stable.

More importantly, update XP to SP3, the HD48** series needs it in order to work optimally.

Still using 8.6 drivers with my 4850. Also using ATI tray tool to overclock 725/1125 and it is rock solid stable 24/7. I have Crysis, Cyrsis warhead, COD4, and Stalker Clear Sky all running perfectly. And still using XP service pack 2. Service pack 3 does nothing to enhance performance with this card.

Semms the people having problems with 8.9 installs are crossfire users. I have thought about removing my 2nd card and uninstalling 8.7 and then installing 8.9 to see if that works. if it works then i install my 2nd card again and reenable crossfire. honestly it's just too much work for something that should work without going through all that trouble. ill wait for 8.10 and see how i fare with those.

Still having the same problems with the 8.8s and 8.9s, get an error message and have to re-boot twice for the drivers to work. This is after a nice clean fresh install of vista.

4850 crossfire by the way

I had the same problem. Tried to remove 8.7 and got black screen. Tried to install 8.9 and got black screen. Worked around those problems and when I try to enable 2nd monitor it bsod's. Anything having to do with 2nd monitor is instant bsod for me with 8.9. 2nd monitor is th2g setup so maybe it doesnt like those drivers or what i dont know. Either way im stuck on 8.7 until they fix it. If its not fixed by 8.10 then i am going to pick up a gtx280 card when they refresh the design to 55nm and go back to team green. I'll then just take one of the 4850's and throw it in my htpc since it does hdmi and then sell the other one on craigslist for 100 bucks. The fact that they haven't fixed the idle power draw and the overall piss poor driver stability of the 4800 series cards is really getting old. Unfortunately the ati of yore is rearing its ugly head again. Great hardware, abysmal drivers.

Back