Cat 6 daisychain to two HTPC's?

Shoop

Limp Gawd
I have a media server in my house that I want to stream blu-ray movies to 2 different HTPC's in my house. HTPC 1 is on the same level as the media server and about 60 feet away. The HTPC 2 is upstairs directly above the other HTPC 1.

I'm going to run a single Cat 6 cable from the server to the HTPC 1 on the same level and use a switch to hook up HTPC 1 and other peripherals that go with my home theater.

Since HTPC 2 is right above HTPC 1 I was wondering if I could run a cat 6 cable from HTPC 1's switch to HTPC 2 and not have bandwidth issues if both are simultaneously streaming ?

Basically, I want to know if the single cat 6 cable in the initial 60' run from media server to the HTPC 1 will be enough to handle both HTPC 1 and HTPC 2?

if it's a gig switch and you have a gig on your server, you should be fine even for high bitrate 1080p...

If BluRay bit rate is 36 Mb/s, even accounting for overhead, Fast Ethernet (100Mb) would be fine, which can be easily run on CAT5.
Max Bitrate for BluRay is 54Mb/s, where 48Mb/s is the practical limit for A/V streams. Depending on switch and NICs, this is still do-able on Fast Ethernet with two simultaneous streams.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, forgot to mention I'm using Trendnet gigabit switches and Intel gigbit nics. Movies are uncompressed and stored on server.

Back