cat 5e wall jack

grab a multi meter and go wiht a continuity test. thats all i cant think of, dont know the colors.

jack = connector (male end)
port = receiver (female end)

sorry, pet peeve of mine

I hope you're not using that for a network run because that thing is a phone jack.

yeah, that thing is definitely NOT a CAT5/6 rated jack... absolutely not designed for data transmissions... what you got there is a business phone jack for specialized phones for use with PBX systems. I really don't like their description at all that says the word "ethernet" several times... just because its the same plug doesn't mean its a data rated jack.

It MAY work for data... but its not designed for that. If you're hoping for gigabit speeds... forget it. 100 may be possible depending on how long the cable run is... but you may have to force the jack to 10 in order to get a solid/reliable connection.

sorry to rain on your parade, but data jacks NEVER have screw-on type connectors.

oh thats bullshit... :eek:

good thing it was 80 some cents... Maybe they have a actually cat 5 rated jack..

can anyone point me to a site that cat 5 jacks?

Monoprice sells them, but they are a bit more expensive (as i would expect ANY data rated jack to be)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cs_id=1051301&p_id=310&seq=1&format=2&style=

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1051703&p_id=1097&seq=1&format=2&style=

Lowes/Home Depot/your local hardware or electronics store probably also have the same stuff - just at a higher price (but with shipping, you'll probably come out the same)

You could also get on the phone + speak with the folks at monoprice... I don't see any way that "ethernet" can be used in the description of a non-data rated jack... I'm not an electrician.. but have hired them hundreds of times to get jacks installed at my customer's sites... I've NEVER seen a wall jack that wasn't either punch down terminated or toolless like the ones I linked above. If you ask, monoprice may allow you to order the new parts with free shipping.

Got a Home Depot or Lowes near you?

They sell all of that stuff.

edit: I should have read teststrips post. :p

http://www.deepsurplus.com

I have not used them yet since we're still hashing out selling this house and moving

Their keystones are $1.28 Cat 5E and the wall plates run around $.35 for a single or dual port plates, $.68 for tri port and $.50 for quad (for some odd reason.)

ATM they are top on my list of places to buy materials for running the media and data network in the home we're getting (with a [for now] unfinished basement).

twacomm.com carries all the Leviton Quickconnect ports and plates.

their prices are high for me... iam gonna try to call monoprice tomm, and tell them that their advertisement for that jack sucks... hopefully theyll give me free rush shipping :p

twacomm.com carries all the Leviton Quickconnect ports and plates.

Leviton stuff really is worth the price. I can't think of a single time I've gotten a bad Leviton jack, while I have seen plenty of others that just don't seem to get a reliable punchdown every time.

I do a lot of cabling work. All I use and recommend is Leviton. I do not trust any of the cheap stuff from these sites. They may cost less but in the long run, you get what you pay for. Leviton is good quality, easy to work with, and readily available at supply houses.
PS. Amenthes, I like the sig line! It's very true...

Lowes and home depot carry your basic jack complete with punchdown piece so you don't need a tool except a stripper. They also have modular plates where you can add more than one jack.

Are you supposed to use a stripper with punchdowns? I just put the wire in the slot and punch it down; the punchdown tab rips the insulation when it clamps it.

Are you supposed to use a stripper with punchdowns? I just put the wire in the slot and punch it down; the punchdown tab rips the insulation when it clamps it.

No, you don't need a stripper with punchdowns. You will, however, need a punchdown tool unless you use the toolless design connector.

The prices on TWAComm are way out of line...even for retail. I can buy 3 Leviton cat 5e jacks at my supplier for ONE of theirs. Same exact product. I would check locally, look up Graybar Electric.

Stripper = remove the outer coating to expose the inside 8 wires ;)

Myself, I use a sharp utility knife to weaken the coating then pull it off manually. Just be careful to not go too far and hit one of the wires and if you do, cut and start over.

More likely than not, your cable crimper has a built-in cable stripper to strip the outer jacket of the cable. I'd recommend using that or a utility knife with a little caution.

The prices on TWAComm are way out of line...even for retail. I can buy 3 Leviton cat 5e jacks at my supplier for ONE of theirs. Same exact product. I would check locally, look up Graybar Electric.

TWAComm is spendy, but I usually shop there because they carry all Leviton products. I've found cheaper prices elsewhere for a part or two, but I haven't found anywhere else where I can order online and have the selection from the same supplier. BlackBox is even more expensive.

Does Graybar sell small quantities, retail? I thought they were only large-quantity wholesalers to the trade.

even though Blackbox is a bit more expensive, i'd rather pay more for a better quality piece of
hardware then a cheaper hardware that won't last or will break easily.

TWAComm is spendy, but I usually shop there because they carry all Leviton products. I've found cheaper prices elsewhere for a part or two, but I haven't found anywhere else where I can order online and have the selection from the same supplier. BlackBox is even more expensive.

Does Graybar sell small quantities, retail? I thought they were only large-quantity wholesalers to the trade.

Sometime, they can sell small quantities but I cannot say for sure. In my area, we have Nedco, who are normally a wholesaler for electricity and telecomm trades. They can sell small quantities without problems.

Myself, I'm very satisfied with monoprice quality and prices and I always order them for my house networking and telecommunications needs. Using just Leviton is a bit overrated since other brands ports (not jacks since it's misworded indeed) is compatible as long as you follow the same wiring scheme.

It's not hard to find name-brand quality for prices far less than BlackBox. There are a few items they sell that I haven't found elsewhere, but for cable or tools, or rack gear, they're easy to beat.

Yes, I purchase small quantities from them all the time. They'll sell you stuff like a retailer would (even though they might not like it). I'd suggest just setting up a corporate account there, though.

I would never purchase from TWA based on those prices. Even Home Depot has Leviton parts cheaper than that. Like I said, I can get a leviton cat5e jack for 3 bucks. I don't know how they can sell it for 9...but someone is buying them.
I also purchase a lot from CSC, www.gocsc.com
They are a national datacom distributor. Graybar should be fine for small stuff, as well as the local electrical suppliers. Around here they sell a lot of datacom stuff too. I've never used Black Box, but they do seem to have everything, and then some.

Another vote for Home Depot or Lowes... and I thought those 2 stores were expensive :eek:

But, compared to TWACONN and BLACKBOX.... I'll stick with HD and Lowes... and, they even have coupons for 10-20% off a lot of times. I get cabling from HD, too... 1000ft for $60 or $80 at worst. Expensive, but doable...

In a pinch, I would go to Home Depot because they carry the Leviton products. Lowes does not.

Back