CAT 5 or CAT 6 cables?

I clicked on the cabling link in the FAQ here and the links didn't work. Anyway, I got a 3Com 3CR858-91 router (I read it's compatible with trading software) and noticed it came with a CAT 5 cable. Apparently, this is an older standard. The new one is CAT6 and an even faster one is CAT6a. I wondering if anyone knows which brands are good for CAT6a cables. Also, do I need crossover or regular cables? I'm not sure.

Cat 5 cable is suilable for 10mb/s and 100mb/s
Cat 5e cable is suitable for 10mb/s, 100mb/s and 1000mb/s
Cat 6 cable is suitable for 10mb/s, 100mb/s, 1000mb/s and 10,000mb/s

i would go for standard cat6 if you are installing inside walls etc

what are you connecting your router to?

if it's simply router to PC, then a cat5/5e will do just fine, but like others said, if it's a big wiring job in walls or whatever, go with 6.

also, home routers typically use switch ports for where your PC plugs into, so you would need a straight-through for that.

if you are going router to router, switch to switch, pc to pc, router to pc, firewall to router/pc, or anything of the sort (DTE to DTE, or DCE to DCE), then you need a crossover cable.

switch (or home router) to router/pc/firewall are straight-through cables. i think a lot of home stuff uses auto mdi-x sensing now, so if that's the case, you can use either one.

CAT 5 will be fine for normal use.

Mine goes like this

Internet --> Modem --> Cat5e --> Router --> Cat6 --> Computer --> Other Computers

Going over a short distance from your modem to your router or even from your router to a switch doesn't need anything more than CAT5, however if you're wiring up a house you should use CAT6 or CAT5e at a minimum as you'll want gigabit speeds between your clients.

www.monoprice.com is a great place to get inexpensive but good quality cables, including network cables and supplies. If the prices are too low to believe, trust me (and many others here who can vouch for them) they do sell good quality stuff.

If you're wiring your house it will probably pay to have someone professionally do it as you won't have to fight code should you ever wish to sell the property.

Crossover cables are no longer required per the gigabit spec, however they were used when connecting a client to another client. When connecting a client to a switch or router you'll use a standard pass-through or 'patch' cable.

Thanks for all the replies. Well, after wondering what I was going to do and doing a little research to find out what the difference is, in some ways it didn't make a difference at all. I got to Staples and I was so impatient I got a CAT 6 cable simply because it was the color blue. Heheheh. :p

This is a timely question as I've been yanking cables around in my office all day.

A few months ago, I replaced all my (Drag & Drop) patch cables with CAT6.

I wish I had never have done it.

This stuff is stiff as hell, doesn't bend around corners worth a shit, and I really think due to it's weight and stiffness, it has just got to be hard as hell on Jacks.

I'm actually going to go back to CAT5e and cut this stuff up to use as Paint stirrers or something.

If you are permanently wiring in the wall with proper wall plates, etc..., by all means use it.

But if you are just doing drag & drops of patch cables, I'd stick with CAT5e. It's fine for Gigabit, and we won't be going any faster than that any time soon.

Ditto. Spend the money up front if you are putting wires in the wall. And always, make sure its plenum grade...
You only need plenum grade if fumes from a smoldering cable could end up in an air vent system. check your local codes for the actual rules. That shit's expensive, and not often needed.

If you are running in walls, pull at least 1in conduit to somewhere near the wall jack and somewhere accessable on the other end. You never know when you'll need to pull more/different cable.

Back