Cat 10.1 betas

foxlinked

Limp Gawd
just saw these on guru3d

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalyst-10.1-Beta--Windows-7-|-Vista-(32|64)-download-2455.html

downloading now - anyone try them yet?

Download ATI Catalyst 10.1 Beta Windows 7 | Vista (32|64)

This is a beta version of Catalyst 10.1 as released by MSI.

We have no extensive release notes, should you want to try out this driver then please be sure to check out the discussion thread we have going on it right here.

* CrossFire X profiles per application will now be in a separate XML file that it will be possible to update independently of the driver itself
* ATI CrossFire X with PowerPlay for the Radeon 5×00s: reduced energy consumption of additional cards
* AMD Dual Graphics: Possibility of combining performances of the IGP of the RS880 with the forthcoming entry level GPUs from the Cedar and Park ranges.
* 3D Stereoscopics: Update of the D3D driver so as to allow third party firms such as IZ3D to use their 3D solution with 120 Hz screens. Support for Bit Cauldron glasses.
* Eyefinity: Bezel Management
* Better GPU acceleration in Windows 7 Video Converter
* Support for DisplayPort Audio (already in the 9.12 hotfix)
* If laptop manufacturers allow it, possibility of installing the Catalysts on a laptop in Vista and 7
* Improvement of 2D performance in Linux
* Support for Ubuntu 9.10 and OpenSUSE 11.2

Those are not the patch notes, that is ATI's 'maybe coming soon over the next few months' provisional list of things they are working on, that was talked about at CES.

This isn't the first thread about it either. A number of people are also reporting their system locking up with any 3D application whilst using these drivers. They also don't support all ATI cards.

I want new drivers as much as the next man but I'm not touching these with a bargepole. It's the 17th anyway so the official ones can't be far away.

Useless improvements TBH, I mean if it does not stop the 2D crashes and out of signal errors then who gives a rats as.s about anything else.

What about (finally) fixing the dual-monitor Powerplay issues? Hmm? Oh that's right, such thing doesn't exist, right??? :rolleyes:

According to the G3D forums, the betas have a long way to go and aren't worth using as a primary driver at the moment.
From what I can tell two of the main fixes that the final 10.1 drivers will have are HD video acceleration, and fixes to powerplay. I guess powerplay screws up lots of little things (like audio over a certain fidelity) and this is driver will offer some settings to fix that. I believe the target day for the 10.1 driver is later this week or early next week.

I installed and went back to 9.12/hotfix within 24 hours. LOTS of crashed/failed to load games (Crysis, MW2). Gonna' wait until they are "final" before re-installing.

Yeah, my experience with ATI beta leaks is that they're VERY beta prior to release. The ones that leak from Nvidia tend to be a lot closer to final in general. There are definite exceptions, but I spent years running Nvidia beta drivers most of the time while dating back to the Radeon 9800 Pro days, ATI betas tended to be rough and only focused on fixing/adding one thing at a time.

Useless improvements TBH, I mean if it does not stop the 2D crashes and out of signal errors then who gives a rats as.s about anything else.

The ONLY way to fix this 2d crashing problem is to set your core and mem clocks in 2d mode to 300/400 or higher dependeing on how bad it is. I can get away with 250 core and 350 mem and it hasnt crashed since....6 days. And it used to do it 12-15 times daily.

Per ATI you can expect these drivers at the very end of the month now. I'd venture a guess of next Thursday or Friday based upon recent history.
CatalystMaker on Twitter made references that the next sets of drivers (after 10.1) will be really big releases that we're going to love. Hopefully they're starting to work some of the kinks out.

just saw these on guru3d
* Support for DisplayPort Audio (already in the 9.12 hotfix)

I have the 9.12 (12/16/2009) drivers on Win7 w/a 5850 and do not have DP Audio as a playback device. This makes it sound like I can get it via hotfix, but I don't see any hotfix on their website. Where can I get this? Otherwise I have no problems waiting for the final version, but it would be nice.

As always I will wait for the full drivers to show on ATI/AMDs site and then get those :D

I really can't wait for these, sooner after they come out I think I will be ordering another HD5850 and hoping I finally have my other 2 monitors from Dell :cool:

According to the G3D forums, the betas have a long way to go and aren't worth using as a primary driver at the moment.
From what I can tell two of the main fixes that the final 10.1 drivers will have are HD video acceleration, and fixes to powerplay. I guess powerplay screws up lots of little things (like audio over a certain fidelity) and this is driver will offer some settings to fix that. I believe the target day for the 10.1 driver is later this week or early next week.

Why not? I'm problem free. Much faster than 9.12.

AVOID em. Tried em, they do not run any different. Best bet is to trick the power play, resolves the issues. Wait for the official ones. These messed up my power management with HDMI as well.

Just like any driver sets, some people have them work okay and others don't. I just know that on G3D there's a thread full of people saying that they mess up a fair number of games and that the powerplay stuff isn't 100% yet.
Powerplay also boondoggles the HDMI audio when everything is set to 24/192, so I'm looking forward to some better fixes for it.

Back