Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Shalafi

Fully [H]
anyone excited about this game? My friends saw some Youtube clips of it and their jaws dropped. They really wanna get it, it comes out October 5 here in the USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_Lords_of_Shadow

It appears that they are wanting to take the franchise in a different direction, also Mr. Kojima will have a small role in the developing of the game.

So that's something to be excited about, what does everyone else think? Day 1 buy? or wait for reviews?

This game is what happens when a bunch of Japanese honchos get in a room together and agree that their games need to be more western. So they let their franchise go wholesale to a western developer.

Much of the game was finished by the time Kojima came in and he only really made the game a little more palatable. He had them re-work the main character to be more likeable and more of a person rather than an avatar through which to beat shit. He also smoothed out a couple of other bits of the presentation but that's about it.

The game looks extremely derivative, taking near directly from God of War, Uncharted, and Shadow of The Colossus. It may end up a decent game with excellent graphics. But its difficult to stomach because:

A. The producer is going around saying that the game is not similar to anything else and that its in fact, quite different from everything else.

B. Well, its got the Castlevania name, while a reboot is a great idea in theory, its not its own game.

Luckily I didn't grow up playing any of the Castlevania games so I get to avoid all of the BS involved with caring about how faithful it is to the original or how well the reboot is done or the fact that it was another game entirely with the Castlevania theme slapped on it afterwards.

It looks fantastic and I cannot wait to play it.

They haven't made one good 3D Castlevania yet.
If it was another DS game, yes, day 1 purchase... This? I would wait for reviews.

Curse of Darkness had an incredible beginning, and that was it. The rest of the game.... was there a game there? I'm very skeptical on this one, kojima didnt do much to it, and we still have no idea what kind of fighting system has been implemented.

Wait for reviews, I say. Their last attempt was terrible.

I have all 3 DS games, and I had all 3 GBA games, i love those games a lot, they were fucking excellent!!!!
I really liked Aria of Sorrow.

I haven't played through all the DS games yet, going through Dawn of Sorrow at the moment, just have put my handheld down for like 2 years, but still bought games.

I await eagerly for this one!!

Last good game was Symphony of The Night. Although I did love the N64 version.... The controls were just horrible though. I always thought that if they built off that platform and improved the camera and controls then it could work. Instead they went into the wrong direction with the PS2 games and made them dull as hell.

It's a long game (around 15 hours of gameplay) and some previews mentioned the cutscenes are nowhere near on the level of MGS in frequency or duration.

o 15hrs? THAT"S FREKAING LONG for this kind of game o_o

hell yeah, and it has an actual story to boot

i'm willing to give it a chance

i don't expect it to be the greatest game of all time, but if it takes the series in a positive direction, i'm all for it.

Die hard Castlevania fan here. I was looking forward to this game, but I didn't know Kojima wasn't totally involved. Looks like I will be renting this one first. My favorite one so far has been Dawn of Sorrow. Symphony was legendary but I think the two sorrow games were a bit better:eek:.

playing Dawn of Sorrow, just beat Malphas and then the guy with the red hair who uses fire as his main attacks, pretty great game. Paper thin story as usual, but i love the whole exploration, leveling, and getting new items

that's what keeps me playing these games.

Looking forward to this. Will Judge it after I play it. But I hope its good. Think a demo is soon. Already out in UK for Plus members.

There are some reviews out there already.. they say that it's close to 20 hours, that is a very long time for a game like this.

can anyone list in order all castlevania DS games?

Been looking forward to this game for awhile now. Even if it is a bit like other action games (GOW/DMC) I'll be happy if they nail the Castlevania milieu.

One more week and I guess we'll all know if they pull it off or not.

If you own a DS, you MUST own these 3 games.

Order of Ecclesia is arguably the best Castlevania they've made. Great story, hard as hell, AMAZING soundtrack. Portrait of Ruin will blow you away with the most epic Dracula battle you've ever seen. And Dawn is Aria upgraded in every way.

The only thing SOTN has on the DS games is the live studio quality music. The DS games have surpassed that game since DoS.

It's really a shame portable games dont get much exposure, cause these games are way better than what some people are wasting $60 on.

Order of Ecclesia is arguably the best Castlevania they've made. Great story, hard as hell, AMAZING soundtrack. Portrait of Ruin will blow you away with the most epic Dracula battle you've ever seen. And Dawn is Aria upgraded in every way.

The only thing SOTN has on the DS games is the live studio quality music. The DS games have surpassed that game since DoS.

It's really a shame portable games dont get much exposure, cause these games are way better than what some people are wasting $60 on.

you are absolutely right

the good news is if you missed out on SotN, you can get it off the PSN store, that's definitely one of THE games to get off the PSN store.

I think i might do just that, thanks for reminding me of that leviathan, i have SOTN on my PSP though, but i'd rather play it on the big screen, even if the graphics will look like shit.

I'm not sure many would complain if the action is too much like god of war, shadow of collosus, or uncharted... all fun games, right? You might probably expect something unique here with the whip (like grappling/swinging/etc...)

Gameplay video:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-castlevania-lords/101681

As for some ratings:
Computer and Video Games : 9.2/10
Eurogamer : 8/10
GamesRadar : 9/10
Official PlayStation Magazine (UK) : 9/10
Official Xbox Magazine : 9/10
PSM3 : 94%
VideoGamer.com : 9/10

I think i might do just that, thanks for reminding me of that leviathan, i have SOTN on my PSP though, but i'd rather play it on the big screen, even if the graphics will look like shit.

at least the sound will be badass.
I hope you got a sound system. I cant get enough of the 2nd castle BMG. I'll just run around the castle just to hear the 8 minute build up. Nothing beats the 'Abandoned Castle' track from Curse of Darkness though. Holy crap is it awesome.

So awesome it fooled me into thinking CoD was going to be an awesome game, but.....ha ha:p

I'm playing Dawn of Sorrow, but I beat Aria of Sorrow years ago on the GBA

I really think that was the best Castlevania game i've ever played, i played SOTN, but i didn't get very far, i need to revisit that one and beat it.

I feel like i've been cheating myself by not doing so.

I have no problems with Castlevania staying 2d for a life time. So I won't be digging this.

A 1080p 2d castlevania that is basically a more evolved sotn and I will go buy a PS3 today.

Looks like God of War/Dante's Inferno with vampires thrown in.

It's stupid how many people feel the need to comment on how the game is like God of War. People beat this topic to death when Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, DMC, etc came out. I will agree these games have a lot of the same combat and action style as God of War, but they are completely different story lines. They all have their own unique elements or nuances, but people cannot seem to let go of the fact that they have the same look and feel as GoW.

Why don't people mention how almost every FPS out there is so similar to Wolfenstein 3D from 1992? I mean you have a guy, with various guns, running around a 3D world shooting enemies and avoiding death. THEY ARE ALL TEH SAME!!!

It's stupid how many people feel the need to comment on how the game is like God of War. People beat this topic to death when Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, DMC, etc came out. I will agree these games have a lot of the same combat and action style as God of War, but they are completely different story lines. They all have their own unique elements or nuances, but people cannot seem to let go of the fact that they have the same look and feel as GoW.

Why don't people mention how almost every FPS out there is so similar to Wolfenstein 3D from 1992? I mean you have a guy, with various guns, running around a 3D world shooting enemies and avoiding death. THEY ARE ALL TEH SAME!!!

People like to hate and people like to observe. I hated GOW and have observed this is similar so I hate this.

Many people do complain about all FPS being the same. However they compare within reason saying something like L4D is exactly like Wolfenstein 3D is a bit of a stretch. Where comparing This game to GOW is an obvious and valid comparison.

Darksiders isn't even like GOW.. haha. Those people clearly haven't played it.

Very true, Darksiders was nothing like GoW. Now Dante was damn near a carbon copy with a different setting and not so good execution.

But on topic I'm going to buy this after watching the GT review http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-castlevania-lords/705391, looks like a gothic God of war with some Uncharted exploring thrown in and the 20 hour campaign seals the deal for me since these types of games usually are never more than 9-10 hours.

the demo was suppose to be on xbox live yesterday but I couldn't find it anywhere.... When is the demo gonna be up to download?

The DS games are quality.

The DS games are quality.

I agree, been playing DoS, and gave OoE a try, OoE feels a lot different than any other Castlevania games i've played so far, with the inclusions of new stuff they put in there, it really does feel a bit different while leaving the exploration/leveling/getting items parts intact.

I will need to play it further once i beat DoS, but i'm preferring to play them in order.

damn you people are making me wanna get a DS, i've only played sotn and aria of sorrow loved both games. Whats the current best DS model out right now? Dsi?

damn you people are making me wanna get a DS, i've only played sotn and aria of sorrow loved both games. Whats the current best DS model out right now? Dsi?

i'd rather have a DS Lite than a DSi, but that's a matter of personal taste.

If you want a honest recommendation, I recommend you scour Craigslist for one.

I know you're going WTF, but here's my reasoning.

These screens Nintendo made for the DS are fucking goddamn near bulletproof. They are by far the best handheld screens i've ever seen. Nintendo knew that with a stylus dependent (not really but yeah) system, they had to make their screens last.

THey are highly scratch resistant, pretty much to the point to where a well taken care of used DS won't look any different from a new one, other than maybe a few scratches on the case of the DS (if you even will notice those . . .)

you can find DS's as cheap as $60 or less off there, i've seen one for $45.

You can get a DSi, but with the 3DS coming out in March 2011, i don't see a reason to splurge hardcore on a DSi, a used DS is a much better option.

and yes, i promise you the DS titles are well worth the investment . . . .

I'll be picking this up. Haven't really sat down and played through a console game for a while since not much has caught my eye since Darksiders/GoW3. This looks similar in style to both, so its a buy.

I'll never get that. It absolutely is. The play mechanics are spot-on the same. The controls are the same. The main difference are the puzzle-based dungeons, but the gameplay is strongly rooted in GoW.
It's 75% God of War with Zelda-like dungeons and puzzles.
I've played it and I just won it last week. It's not the same level of knock-off that Dante's Inferno is, but it's about as strongly influenced as you can get.

Been playing Castlevania for a little bit now and I'm loving it so far. I'm not completely won over like I was with Darksiders/Heavenly Sword/Uncharted 2 but it's definitely worthwhile. Also, I am not sure if it's just the framerate or what but the cutscenes and menus are lightning fast and smooth as could possibly be. I don't think I've ever seen a game *look* this smooth on the PS3 yet, lack of AA notwithstanding.

Back