• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Casting wateblocks

Hsnopi

n00b
Joined
Nov 22, 2006
Messages
3
What do you all think of casting waterblocks as opposed to soldering? I ask because the wbI am designig has a lot of pins and such and I feel that the soldering of them all would somehow affect the heat conductivity. By casting it I could carve the shape in wax and have it all one piece except for the top.

Opinions?
 
Most waterblocks nowadays are milled out of solid blocks of copper. If you cast one, you would have to mill the base flat to get the type of flatness you need for good contact.
 
what would you "cast" the block out of? keep in mind, casting is very difficult. Machining blocks is a little easier. I like to use C15XXX copper alloys for making copper blocks, and 2011 for aluminum blocks.
 
Back
Top