case windows bad for you?

AreEss said:
They just can't put the FCC Approved marks on a case with a window.
You can't put the sticker on a case without a window either. Only on a _computer_ itself...or some other EMI-emitting device.
Chenbro tests every case for EMI/RFI leakage, except those with windows.
Right, but that's not an FCC certification. Just a manufacturer's own private test.

I did a bit of checking, seems there was a scientist from New England that figured it out. A human being can build up a "fatal" dose of radiation from sitting in front of a CRT monitor. Any longer than 3500 years and your a goner.

xpman said:
I did a bit of checking, seems there was a scientist from New England that figured it out. A human being can build up a "fatal" dose of radiation from sitting in front of a CRT monitor. Any longer than 3500 years and your a goner.
Most of the "radiation" given off from a monitor goes out the sides or out the back, not through the front. The monitor in front of you isn't the problem, it's the one in the cubicle behind you that will get you.

Zamboni said:
The monitor in front of you isn't the problem, it's the one in the cubicle behind you that will get you.
Relax, neither of them are going to "get you". They're totally safe.

if worse comes to worse and you really dont like this person, just keep reassuring them that he is right and that the radiation is getting really bad in your dorm, he wont show up anymore, and if it goes well, he wont come near you either for fear that you are now radioactive aswell :p

This reminds me of this webpage that my friend came accross whilst researching microwaves for class. This person had a guide showing how to protect yourself against mind-controlling microwave (allegedly used by the gov't or such silliness). Too bad I can't find the link. . . Anyway, it seemed to me like a perfect guide showing you how to set your house on fire.

I recommend that you foil your walls immediately and connect said foil to ground, because your roommate is obviously trying to control you using your computer's powerful brain altering radiations.

:rolleyes:

masher said:
Relax, neither of them are going to "get you". They're totally safe.
Here's the whole scoop:
http://www.hpa.org.uk/radiation/publications/documents_of_nrpb/abstracts/absd5-2.htm

It's not whether it will "get them" or not that's important, it's whether they *think* it's going to get them. Dropping the following paragraph into an office memo is good for some entertainment as everyone startes rebuilding their cubicles:

Avoid sitting or standing near the sides and back of monitors since fields are stronger there. Try to keep 3-4 feet away. Remember that walls or partitions do not block these fields.

:p

Zamboni said:
It's not whether it will "get them" or not that's important, it's whether they *think* it's going to get them.

I became paranoid when they started plotting against me.

o0akoni0o said:
so this new guy moves into my college apartment and first thing he tells me is that case windows on a computer are bad for you. something along the lines of a window not being a great barrier to prevent radiation from passing through. this may be stupid, but this is false right? i know computers give off emr, but isn't it nonionizing and aren't the amounts small enough that window or no window they have the same effects as using a crt or watching tv?
Can't be any worse than walking under power lines or sitting under flourescent lights all day in class right... :D

Tell your room mate it will be fine if he wears a tinfoil hat..

MD

masher said:
Empty cases don't emit radio frequency. PC components and assembled PCs can be tested for FCC compliance...but not cases themselves.

I don't know what the law is in the US but in the EU all electrical equipement must have a CE mark and passed CE testing to be sold in the EU.

Now you'd be surprised just what will pass these tests and what won't.

For the testing tho a chassis must be complete IE with the kit inside its most likely to contain and be turned on.

I tested a half polycarbonate and half aluminium type chassis with a mini-itx based system inside for a prototype and that passed all emmissions and other tests. Technically all the components are CE tested and should pass in their own right. Thats not the case tho. 3 out of 4 PSU's we tested failed with no load at all.

To sum up its surprising just how effective plastic is in sheilding so I would imagine case window will pass the same tests.

MD_Willington said:
Can't be any worse than walking under power lines or sitting under flourescent lights all day in class right... :D

Tell your room mate it will be fine if he wears a tinfoil hat..

MD
Why should he worry about his brain? EVERYONE knows that radiation can render a man "useless"...

... which is why he needs aluminum briefs!

Thanks a bunch guys, this thread gave me a few laughs.

Wanna scare the crap out of him, tell him you have billions of tiny high frequency spark gaps in your computer that give off high intensity UV radiation. Then tell him that these high frequencies also burn his skin at night. Lastly, for the clincher... put an offical "Caution UV radiation" sign on the computer example. With a little bit of luck, you'll have a whole room to yourself in no time.

^_^

gordy_hand said:
I don't know what the law is in the US but in the EU all electrical equipement must have a CE mark and passed CE testing to be sold in the EU.
Electrical EQUIPMENT. An empty case is a different matter.

To sum up its surprising just how effective plastic is in sheilding so I would imagine case window will pass the same tests.
Sorry, its not effective at all. Put a radio inside a plastic container...it still recieves the signal fine. Put that same radio inside a conductive metal shell...it receives nothing whatsoever. Basic electrodynamics.

"You know, I hear starlight gives you cancer...... but then again, what doesn't these days, hmm?"

always good timing for this quote from FG.

masher said:
Electrical EQUIPMENT. An empty case is a different matter.

Sorry, its not effective at all. Put a radio inside a plastic container...it still recieves the signal fine. Put that same radio inside a conductive metal shell...it receives nothing whatsoever. Basic electrodynamics.

Cases have, in the EU at least, "fit for use". This means they are tested just like all the other components. As I said in my orginal post they should be tested with a full compliment of components.

My point still stands tho, a plastic and metal case can pass the requirements (easily). A case window is no more risk really. This is mainly due to the components themselves having shielding now.

gordy_hand said:
My point still stands tho, a plastic and metal case can pass the requirements (easily). A case window is no more risk really. This is mainly due to the components themselves having shielding now.
Your original point was that the plastic was somehow providing shielding. :p

But in any case, my point still stands as well. That, shielded or not, the only "risk" from these emissions is a little static on your radio or cordless phone, not to your health.

Man there is so little radiation comming off a pc that it doesnt even matter.
like im quite sure the microwave radiation in the air from your local radio station would be more damaging. Personally i would get a stick from a tree a wack your roommate with it then set it on your desk and point to it. Then tell him that being wacked with random sticks is alot more damaging and can do more damage is alot less time than the radiation off a pc so maybe he should worry about thinks like sticks not your modded case.

Ps. according to a test done by a university( i cant remeber which) the whole tinfoil thing acctually doesnt work to prevent any passage of microwave radiation. Yet interestingly it acctually amplifies certain frequencys and even more interestingly those certain frequencys are listed as being reserved for classified military applications. Weird Eh. (if u cant tell yes im canadian)

potskie05 said:
Ps. according to a test done by a university( i cant remeber which) the whole tinfoil thing acctually doesnt work to prevent any passage of microwave radiation. Yet interestingly it acctually amplifies certain frequencys and even more interestingly those certain frequencys are listed as being reserved for classified military applications.
I call BS :)

ok, wow, window on your pc, causing harm, ummm, no that guy is seriously bsing you man, such bullshit. your crt monitor however does happen to emit VERY SMALL mount of radiation. and the amount is so small that its barely noticable after sitting in front of one for 12 years. if you read one of the issues of maximum pc, they tell you that its only a myth, that there is so little radiation coming out of there, you would only notice it affecting you a little after sitting infront of it for 30 years straight, 24/7, no movement.

but the window thing, is a load and a half.

AHHHH
It's true, it's true, what a fool I was to think it was BS!!!!!
I went Tanning yesterday and when I got home I was sleepy, so I went right to bed. Bad thing is I left my computer on last night, with the window facing my bed....
I woke up this morning and I had a TAN.
:eek:

Then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked me in the face! :D

Majin said:
AHHHH
It's true, it's true, what a fool I was to think it was BS!!!!!
I went Tanning yesterday and when I got home I was sleepy, so I went right to bed. Bad thing is I left my computer on last night, with the window facing my bed....
I woke up this morning and I had a TAN.
:eek:
Then Chuck Norris Roundhouse kicked me in the face! :D
lawlz, GG.cab

Gag or not they still used proper equipment and a fairly proper experiment. But hey half a point is better than none at all.

potskie05 said:
Gag or not they still used proper equipment and a fairly proper experiment.
Did they? I saw nothing whatsoever on their test methodology. If they allowed the foil to contact the antenna directly, they'd obviously see an amplification effect. Also, they don't appear to have compensated for the lensing effect of the foil upon the antenna pigtail or other portions external to the shielded area. Finally, the transmitting antenna appears to be sited somewhat below the helmet plane, which would allow multipath reflections to strike the receiving antenna...a path "true" mind control signals could never follow (not unless you were walking on your hands!)

So be happy with that half-point, before I decide to scale it back. :p

Back