Case surface has slight current flowing

jazzwall

n00b
Hiya,

I've got an Antec p180 case with Antec TP II 550 psu, A8N-SLI Premium w/ X2 4800 cpu.

I just noticed that there's a slight current flowing through the surface of the case... it's only very little that you feel it with touch... kinda like how it feels with those "touch me to turn on/off" lamps... a little tingling.

This happens regardless of whether psu is on or off. Oh, and I'm using a proper 3-pin cable / surge-protector / etc.

Anyone knows what it might be and how to fix it? It's very disconcerting.

Thanks!

-Jazz

Yea, I'd like to know a solution to this problem too. I have an old 133mhz Compaq 9232 Presario that has the same problem, except its a pretty big shock. If you hold your fingers on it for more than a second, your whole arm starts to tingle and shake lol. Its nearly 120v from the wall outlet flowing into your arm. (I know how it feels, cause I've been shocked by it really good on numerous occasions :eek: ) I always look around in my case, but I think the problem is in the power supply. I too am using grounded electrical sources with 3 prongs. :confused:

First verify that the outlets you're using are truly grounded. There are handy devices available which are plugged into an outlet and show whether it's correctly installed.

Update: The current on the surface has somehow disappeared... I started this thread when I felt the current a few hours back... but then, my computer was off (psu on, but comp/mobo off) all night. Since then, I've turned the comp on and it's been like that for a while, and the current has disappeared... wierd.

Will let you know if same thing happens tomorrow morning.

-Jazz

Yeah I would see if you have a good ground on that outlet.
QFT. It's not uncommon to have miswired outlets (like phase and neutral wires switched) or poorly-grounded outlets. It's certainly worth calling an electrician about. Besides, if you own the house and ever plan on selling it, you'll have to get it fixed anyway.

neg, my outlets are wired properly. I have the little tester where you stick the prongs in the plug and it reads voltage. I think its just my power supply. The thing is from like '92. It was my first computer. :p

I had a TV tuner card that caused this problem when I hooked cable into it. Went to go screw in the cable and the second it made contact with the connector on the card, I got a pretty good zap off the case :eek:

Needless to say, I have not used that card in a long time :p
I've heard the same thing can happen with dial-up modems, ehternet, and sound cards (when useing line-in)

Unknown-One said:
I had a TV tuner card that caused this problem when I hooked cable into it. Went to go screw in the cable and the second it made contact with the connector on the card, I got a pretty good zap off the case :eek:

Needless to say, I have not used that card in a long time :p
I've heard the same thing can happen with dial-up modems, ehternet, and sound cards (when useing line-in)
Any connector which has some kind of ground (shielding) can cause such an issue. In short it comes down to that there's no such thing as 'a' ground. What we call ground is merely the point or plane with the lowest potential ('voltage') in a system.

I had a simmilar problem when I moved into my new apartment (new to me.. but built in the 50's).
Turned out only 1 outlet in the entire apt. was properly grounded... and the others wern't at all (wasnt spec back in the 50's) so after I had a MB, CPU and PSU die from it I got an electrician in to properly ground everything.. all good now.

D.

I nearly lost a pair of speakers when I plugged in a cable to my computer. The amplifiers do not have ground, and when I went to plug the audio cable in... KATHUMP BUZZZZZ POP. I hated seeing the woofers bounce out and take all the slack out of the foam, then come back in and out a few times....

I really need to isolate these stupid things from my computer.

Get a Multimeter and find out if there really is a current leak any where.

If your not having any other problems then this the i can tell you its not something shorted to ground(like the mobo..) cause it would have an issue either booting or something where the machine would hate life UNLESS you have a wire that is pinched coming directly from the PSU and its shorting there.

I have seen this problem be only a few specific things.

Bad ground. Be it the wall outlet, the powerstrip/surge protector or UPC or even PSU cable or extention cord.

Also could be a bad powersupply or one thats going bad.

Pinched/ shorted PSU wire

But thats where I would look.

Back