• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Case status, open or closed?

Joined
Dec 5, 2003
Messages
517
I just wanted to poll to see how many people operate their computers with the case open. I just received my 3800 x2, and it is stable at 2.4Ghz, stock vcore, but only with the case open, because the CPU fan pulls direct cooler air from outside the case, lowering the temperature 10 degrees. I have all my stock fan locations full, except for one on the top.
 
My case is currently closed. I'm running 2 x 1.6lv xeons at 2.6ghz if my memory serves me correctly with the case off I drop about 4 or 5 degrees C. My overclock is being held back by the low voltage to the mem and the inability for my stepping to boot at 3.2ghz or whatever it defaults to. PC-Dl bios and board issues... Temp doesn't really matter currently sitting in a really hot room and I"m at 55C.

-MN Scout
 
Wow I think the heat of the summer had a lot to do with the recent sudden death of my athlon 64 3200+ clawhammer. I am going to make a poll instead.. it will be easier for users to respond
 
i run it closed,
although your cpu may run cooler, imo w/o the side panel the airflow over your other componets is disrupted making them run hotter, also it allows too much dust in
 
i used to run open, and my case was a huge mess, i run closed now, with a 120mm fan taking up a few drive bays, and 2 80mm fans at the bottom of the case... soon to be getting a new case that hopefully has better ventilation than this Aopen HX08(i know, its an antique!)
 
i am running my case open with a house fan blowing on the side, just for this month because im trying to see the true difference on open/closed. normally i run my case closed :)
 
I am likeing the benefits of running open right now. I have a wavemaster case, so there is not much room for additional fans. There are two 80mm exhaust fans, 1 if you decide to keep the usb ports on top. Currently I have a high speed Panaflo on the back, and that is it. I put side on, my temps rise +10C on the cpu in a matter of mins. Do you think the addition of another 80mm exhaust fan is going to lower the temperature difference with side on and side off. Furthermore as my signature suggests I have 4 harddrives, that run really hot.
 
closed. i find things a bit quieter. plus my cat likes looking at the fans... that wouldnt be good if she decided to attack
 
Boozer said:
closed. i find things a bit quieter. plus my cat likes looking at the fans... that wouldnt be good if she decided to attack
How funny! I was coming in to say the exact same thing. Our new cat has a cable fetish. I'm sure she'd chew the innards of my computer up real good. And then, of course, I'd have to kill her.

H
 
I have my case closed. Mainlky to reduce things like teh dust (too much already gets in via the fans as it is) and having the side of teh case off sure knocks up the noise a few notches ;). My system seems to run cool enough anyhow, this X2 4400+ i just got idles at 23C stock, and loads at 38C in prime.

But really, if your cpu temps change 10C from taking the side of your case off, then your case cooling isnt good enough at all, taking the side off should really only effect temps a few C at the most idealy.
 
I have the best cooling conditions possible given my case design. There are two fans in the front, unfortunatly there is no way to get to them. I have a 80mm exhaust fan on the back, that is a panaflo high speed. That is really the only cooling system I have for the case. Two intakes, and one exhaust. I can put an additional intake/exhaust fan in the top of the case, but I am not sure how much that is going ot help. I am going to have that order by the end of the week, so we will find out the difference next week.
 
i see no difference open case or closed case, so i keep it closed, its quieter that way guess water cooling ruins the benefits, but even when i air cooled i saw better temps with case closed, i have a chieftec dragon
 
I'm normally run my case closed, normal temps in my sig.

I run my case open with these monitors and it runs 44C idle @ 2.3ghz
eek.gif
 
OK.. 52C idle with a box fan blowing on it and a official room temp of 121F opened... good way to kill a computer
eek.gif

Computer is back to 1 monitor now with a room temp of 74F running 34C idling, case is closed.
 
Back
Top