Case Scratches - Opinion

FenFox

Limp Gawd
So I bought a Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG Case from one store and a tech from another store built the computer. Just unpacked it a bit earlier today and noticed a 5" hairline scratch on the top and a 1 cm scratch on the inside. Wasn't even looking for it. I'm kind of a picky person - especially since I spent nearly 3K on this build, so it kinda irks me. Not sure what I should do if anything. I don't really know whose at fault -- whether it came like this or the tech who built it scratched it up by accident. Is it normal for cases to be scratched? I have to say, I've been extremely lucky, this is the first time for me. What would you do if anything? I wish I could just unsee / ignore it, but I don't think I can.

Nothing you can really do other then take it apart sand it down and get it repainted/anodized. Other then call the manufacturer and complain. Doubt they would RMA for scratches tho. Sucks but you will have to get use to it.

I guess it's like a small ding on your car. It will annoy you to no end on a brand new vehicle, but when it's now your 10 year old beater it's just another ding.

I'd leave it be and build your next computer yourself ;)

I guess it's like a small ding on your car. It will annoy you to no end on a brand new vehicle, but when it's now your 10 year old beater it's just another ding.

I'd leave it be and build your next computer yourself ;)

I guess it depends on your outlook. If you bought a new 1K phone and it had a scratch on the screen or on the back out of the box, don't you think you'd return it? Or if you had a dead pixel on an 800+ dollar monitor, you'd probably return it. That's sort've the way I feel about a case on a 3K computer. There is no reason there should be a 5" scratch on the top.

I guess it depends on your outlook. If you bought a new 1K phone and it had a scratch on the screen or on the back out of the box, don't you think you'd return it? Or if you had a dead pixel on an 800+ dollar monitor, you'd probably return it. That's sort've the way I feel about a case on a 3K computer. There is no reason there should be a 5" scratch on the top.
Well it is on the case that is only like maybe 5% of the total built. It is only cosmetic unlike dead pixels or scratched screens that you look at 100% of the time. Honestly your best bet is to contact the manufacturer and see what they can do if it really bothers you. You could try and touch it up but in my experience it just makes it stick out more.

This is true. Except at this point, you're not sure if you should take the case to the tech or to Fractal. If it was truly defective out of the box it's perfectly within your right to have it RMAd. Except when someone else has already had a go at it, the situation becomes a little more gray.

This is true. Except at this point, you're not sure if you should take the case to the tech or to Fractal. If it was truly defective out of the box it's perfectly within your right to have it RMAd. Except when someone else has already had a go at it, the situation becomes a little more gray.

Truthfully, this situation is probably too tedious to deal with and not worth the effort / hassle since I bought the case at one store and the computer was built at another. Though, these two stores are pretty much side-by-side so this predicament isn't as bad as it could be. I didn't buy the case from the store that built the computer because they didn't have it in stock and it would've involved me waiting 3+ weeks. If I did order it from them, I think I'd have some leverage to work with. Currently I don't know who's at fault here, Fractal or the dude that built it. I'd probably need to 'take it up with Fractal' or the store I bought it from. Then what? Just seems so dumb. I'm not sure why the tech didn't think to call me about the scratches to ask me how I'd like to proceed, because I definitely would've told him to hold off on building the computer and I would've requested a swap / return to the store I purchased it from. Maybe he didn't see them--but I find that hard to believe. The store I bought it from offers 15 day returns, but currently that would involve me removing all the components which I don't know if I'd want to do, then I'd probably have to pay the other shop to rebuild it all over again and who knows if the case is even in stock or if I'd have to wait. Fuck this is so dumb. I feel so entirely soured over this in a very unnatural and illogical kinda way that I can't explain. And I'm crazy enough to put this computer in my car and drive it to the dump and say g'bye.

Email Fractal/ask the store you bought it from and see if you could swap it for a fee? The worst they could say is no. Otherwise, you could probably unload it here for more than what you could get for it at the dump :)

Last edited:
Email Fractal and see if you could swap it for a fee? The worst they could say is no.

Ya, I will reach out to them and see what they have to say, but I am not tech savvy enough to build my own, so I would still have to pay for the shop to re-build it. It will cost more than $100, and I just don't know if I wanna do that.

Should be fun to learn. Everyone starts somewhere. I put together my R6 build just a few nights ago and swapped it from a Define S and it took me less than 2 hours.

There are more than a few youtube videos that should help you with that.

Should be fun to learn. Everyone starts somewhere. I put together my R6 build just a few nights ago and swapped it from a Define S and it took me less than 2 hours.

There are more than a few youtube videos that should help you with that.

Nah man, I don't think it's something I ever want to do. Too many problems with DOA systems as a kid which pushed me away. Too many tech problems in general throughout my life and I'm just not up for testing my luck any further via building my own.

Use the scratch as a foundation for a very cool engraved image.
Then wax it to prevent the art from rusting.

You could go to the assembler and ask what sort of tool he used for the original.

:)

Back