Case recommendations for me.

hero123

Weaksauce
anyone got recmommendations for a case with the following stuff:

-Good looking
-Side panel (without it is okay too)
-Cool, i will be overclocking, heat may be a problem (air cooling)
-not too expensive
-not too heavy

will be getting a new rig soon. please provide info with your suggestions, a linky will be nice. :p

What is your idea of too expensive, some peoples ideas of expensive are very different.

I would recommend the Lian-Li PC-60A Plus or the Coolermaster Praetorian.

Question: "What case should I get?"
Short answer: The one that YOU like

LONG answer:
Now, we gotta know specs as to what you are putting IN this beast.

Also, as Erasmus said, expensive to me might not be expensive to you. I call expensive anything over $200.

As for my recommendations
For a case w/o a window, the Lian-Li V1000 series are hard to beat, and they come in under my self imposed $200 limit. The gigabyte aurora is also a great case (3X120mm fans). If you won't mind a slightly heavier case, the Antec p180 has some of the best aircooling availible.

Cases with windows: The Antec/Chenming/whoever cases with windows are nice. The aluminum variants aren't all that heavy, and with the multitude of 80mm fans that can be put in them, run fairly cool as well. The are somewhat...generic...looking now however. the Lian-Li PC-65 is a nice case. I use it presently. Fairly light weight, nice build quality, and the fans on it are pretty efficient at dumping out the heat. Same goes for the CM Praetorians/Wavemasters. Take a look at the new Praetorian 730 series, they incorporate 120mm fans into the design.

whew...that was a long one.
Basically, it all comes down to what you like. Me, I'm probably going to be getting a V1000 modded for W/C'ing here in the next while, just for the ability to use 120mm's to dump out any extra heat that may occur.

All the other cases are nice. I've personally owned a Wavemaster, PC-65, Antec tower, a PC-75, and misc whiteboxes from work. They all were varying degrees of "nice". Personal favorite was the Wavemaster. The PC-65 is just a better blank canvas for modding IMO.

-Ghent

I agree on the Lian Li PC 65B. My g/f just got one and it was soooo nice to build her computer in that thing. I have another friend that goes to my university's monthly LAN party and I think another friend just got it as well. It's all tooless virtually everywhere the whole backside + mobo tray slides out, all aluminum with rolled edges, everything mounts well, the build quality is first rate, and it looks good too. I particularly liked the little bit of faux carbon fiber on the top front bezel, but I'm just a sucker for that stuff. I'm ready to ditch this Thermaltake for a Lian Li any day of the week after building her machine!

Whatever you choose go all aluminum and get as much tooless as you can, I didn't think it made much of a difference but after building a few computers without more than a screwdriver for the motherboard you'll never want to go back.

Back