Case recommandations? Lian Li PC-A77F?

Arsenik

n00b
Hello HF community,

First, I must introduce my situation.
I got a old PIII Coppermine slow ass computer, which I got since now 11 years, with a noisy fan and a cheap plastic case (those which were common in 2001s). Now I accumulated enough money for my studies, I'm more than willing to change computer (I'm still an enthousiast).

I would like a computer case which fits these 4 criterias
1- Appealing at look, classy (no aggressive looks, I like it sober (simplicity I love :)
2- Great airflow (I don't plan watercooling anytime soon)
3- Solid, good build quality, well done, less plastic is better
4- Full/Super tower, can fit at least EATX

I have looked at an assload of cases, I've done many many research on them.
I finnally came up with the Lian Li PC-A77F, which I find beautiful and has a good reputation for airflow.

Only one thing bugs me, it's criteria #3. Does any of you own this case or have owned a Lian Li case in the same range?? I have found around 2 people who complained about the aluminium used in the case: flimsy and thin aluminium they say. After looking at some sites, I've found out it's 1.5 mm thick (dunno if it's a reliable source tho...)

If any Lian Li PC-A77F owner could tell me... do you find the case actually solid? Would you purchase another?

Finally, if any of you would have recommendations, I'm more than willing to take them...
I've looked at silverstones, and found them ugly (the Raven ones), while I love the TJ11 but it costs an arm and a leg (650$).
I love the Obsidian 800d's aesthetics, but it's airflow isn't great at all...
Most of Antecs aren't appealing...

Sorry if I'm difficult,
But since it's been 10 years, I'd just like to really really like the case...

Arsenik

Having gone from an A77F to a 650D to a 550D, I'm really glad I ended up with the 550D. It isn't a full tower but it holds just anything I'll ever need.

As for its durability...well...it scratches easily and my case died a brutal death at the hands of USPS when I shipped it cross country in the original packaging. As for the case design itself? The air filters were a pain in the ass, the cable management was non-existent without modding (there's a good A77F thread around here about "The Forge" which has excellent management ideas), and the case was just too big unless you needed 12+ drive bays. For $300+ I wouldn't consider it a good buy when you compare it to other cases like Corsair's and even Antec's latest designs.

Last edited:
Lian Li has different approach, they are not about countless features, but about build quality, and most importantly about quality of materials they use (brushed aluminium). You you seek for many features, it is bad choice, but if you don't care and just want case that looks really great, you can see that quality, you like the design, then it is choice for you. Personally I think lot of features in a case for enthusiasts is not really needed, as they are ok with ivesting lots of their time into setting their systems (cables for example), also they often do some modding. Same goes for toolless design, such features are not really necessary for enthusiast type of user. All they care about it is build quality and high quality materials.

As for its durability...well...it scratches easily and my case died a brutal death at the hands of USPS when I shipped it cross country in the original packaging. As for the case design itself?

night, could you develop more? When you say it scratches easily, do you find your 550D seems have better painting? I tought Lian Li was all anodized paint...

Besides, what about the solidity of the case itself? DId it feel sturdy, solid, as solid as your 550D or...???

As for the design, not much a problem. I can drill the cable management myself and imo these are minor problems.

Thanks!

There's a new model A77FN for 2012, not officially announced yet afaik. No idea how it differs but I think there was some specs on their site.

tt3Nq.jpg

Waiting for the PC-B10FN myself and hoping it will be out in time for my next build and for a reasonable price.

Hey Tisca, the case on the side is the Z-70, isn't it? Would you have more pictures with all of them side by side?

I'm shopping for a new Lian Li tower, and the PC Z-70 would be my choice but that plastic upper front panel is UGLY. Wouldn't buy it if it couldn't be replaced. Considering PC-A77F and PC-A71F as alternatives.

I would go with the PC-A77. That's what I didn't do and now I'm temporarily stuck with a 650D. Should've known to stay with Lian Li. I've used them for the last 12 years.

Thank you very much for the recommendations guys.

The only thing I was worrying about was actually about the aluminium thickness: I want something that feels sturdy.
Of course I don't need it to be bullet proof and I'll never put the sledgehammer inside, but you know, a solid feel is always great.

I would go with the PC-A77. That's what I didn't do and now I'm temporarily stuck with a 650D. Should've known to stay with Lian Li. I've used them for the last 12 years.

The 650D definitely had a few downsides compared to the A77F all things considered (crap flexibility for fans and you're forced to use 200mm on the front thus limiting your options). The 550D was definitely an upgrade from my 650D.

night, could you develop more? When you say it scratches easily, do you find your 550D seems have better painting? I tought Lian Li was all anodized paint...

Besides, what about the solidity of the case itself? DId it feel sturdy, solid, as solid as your 550D or...???

As for the design, not much a problem. I can drill the cable management myself and imo these are minor problems.

Thanks!

The 550D's paint feels more durable and it hasn't scratched yet. My A77F developed two scratches when I moved the case on a table during the build :rolleyes:. The case itself was sturdy enough for office use but not strong enough to withstand USPS shipping if you were to ship the A77F with say a Corsair H60 and PSU in the case (nothing else was in there). That's how my A77F met its untimely demise. All being told it'll work in the office but I'm a little more partial to steel now. The 550D doesn't resonate, it's side panels do not bulge (though that might just be a property of the excellent cable management in the case since my wires do not exert a lot of pressure on the side), and it just feels more solid in general. If my cats were to knock over the tower I wouldn't really worry about damage to the case. With the A77F I would probably be checking every edge to make sure it wasn't bent.

P-Clamps work wonders on the A77F for cable management. If you aren't using an E-ATX motherboard you'll have a few holes to work with for mounting those clamps onto the motherboard tray.

Hey Tisca, the case on the side is the Z-70, isn't it? Would you have more pictures with all of them side by side?

I'm shopping for a new Lian Li tower, and the PC Z-70 would be my choice but that plastic upper front panel is UGLY. Wouldn't buy it if it couldn't be replaced. Considering PC-A77F and PC-A71F as alternatives.

Yep, Z-70. Only have whatever images are found online. One more:
lianli-cebit-2012-9.JPG

Hmm, I'd have another question, to the 800D owners - I'm considering this one too, I'd simply buy additionnal fans if so...

I'd really have liked the 700D to be around. Too bad...

Anyways, that door in front of the 800D for the hotswap bays, if that actually aluminium or a cheap tacky flimsy plastic?

Yep, Z-70. Only have whatever images are found online. One more:
lianli-cebit-2012-9.JPG

Cheers! Just decided towards the A71F though. Not only a bit cheaper but also more elegant with the front door instead of that cheapo front bezel.

Cheers! Just decided towards the A71F though. Not only a bit cheaper but also more elegant with the front door instead of that cheapo front bezel.
Good choice. I've been eyeing that case for a while. If I could only get some updated info on the PC-B10FN which is like the A71F except without that extra room in the top end. Going to need a case for my next build just after IB comes out but haven't decided on anything. Might just go with a cheaper, decent case with resale value like the R3 until I find what I want.

I owned one and loved it. It is a very large case and solidly built; though I wouldn't say as solidly as some of their past cases. The front of the case has a removable aluminum trim that's very thick. As for the side panels, they flex if you put some pressure on them; otherwise they are very solid as well.

Of course, it's a lian-li so the aluminum is prone to scratches. Just be careful with that and you'll be dandy.

I have some pictures in my build log, you can check them out!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1017059/build-log-woo-sandy-bridge/20

Although I must say, I don't think I would purchase it for $300. I'd go TJ07 at that price. I managed to buy it for $169 at microcenter during one of their crazy sales.

check out this thread on A77FB water cooled on hardforum

I personal own a A77FB looks nice and clean in the front and lots of 3.25 bays

DSC_0104.jpg

but the lian li C-02 4.25 bezel does NOT work with this case

Although I must say, I don't think I would purchase it for $300. I'd go TJ07 at that price. I managed to buy it for $169 at microcenter during one of their crazy sales.

I looked at the Tj07, it's a nice case too. My friend, could you tell me what advantages you see in the TJ07 over the A77F? Your opinion is very interesting since you owned both cases...

Thanks!

I looked at the Tj07, it's a nice case too. My friend, could you tell me what advantages you see in the TJ07 over the A77F? Your opinion is very interesting since you owned both cases...

Thanks!

Ah sorry, I meant I bought the Lian-Li for $169. I haven't owned the TJ07. I've seen it in person though and the aluminum is thicker. Don't get me wrong, the Lian-Li is a great case, but don't pay $300 for it. Also, the Lian-Li is great for air cooling, while the TJ07 is more of a water cooling case.

TJ07 is best for water setup you can get a quad radiator in the bottom and pumps. use dual 120 radiator in the front. The TJ07 unibody is nice how the top front bottom is one piece

I pay almost 300 for a A77F that's how much it cost around here (Canada) US get better price but shipping/duties kills the deal for me. I got A77F because it was the best looking case for me and hold lots of HDD

You can water cool in the A77F too with tri radiator front and dual 140mm top

But seriously for main rigs now I would go mATX, ITX

I'm building a server to hold all those hdd I have and for my future main rig i would only need good videocard and ssd so no point in buying atx for me now. SFF is the future

Well, indeed, after some infos, the TJ07 is thicker (I love thicker alu you know) on the frame, but not on the side panels (1 mm side panels).

The Tj07 have 1mm side panels whilst A77F has 1.5mm...
On the other hand the top/bottom/rear/front is thicker.

Not a big deal I guess... As for the water cooling/air, i'll surely only do air, I've known enought ppl to tell me WC can be a PITA.

I'm Canada located too... They don't make A77F deals often. Saddens me.
I do feel the same balance, I love the look of this case.

I'm also considering right now the A70F (180$), but, the airflow isnt as strong as the A77F... Hmmmmmmm, anyone has the A70F around? LoL

Last edited:
MNPCTech reviewed that case a while ago. The review certainly was not a shining example of how to review a case but they did highlight a major flaw in the A71F -- the front filters are an absolute bitch to get to if you need to clean them.

Back