Case on the ground?

slayer9019

[H]ard|Gawd
I have my current i7 rig on my desk where all of my computers have always been. Due to me upgrading to triple 24"monitors (soon to quad) the desk ran out of space.

Question is....what are the cons of putting your case on the ground?

If your computer has USB ports in front that you utilize frequently, depending on where they are located, it may be a con (on top, it would be a plus, near the bottom it would be a con).

You have to bend over to access stuff. And you might kick it if you're clumsy. That's about it.

It seems like sitting on the floor collects more dust, but only a minimal amount. I have to clean my machine just as much when it is on the desk compared to the ground.

However if you have cats or dogs, the floor is bad because of pet hair.

Well I dont access the USB ports (USB hub on desk)

No animals in my room

It would be in the way of my....everything because my room is....well 8x8 and my desk is in the closet half of the room.

I was kinda concerned about heat issues since on the desk it has more fresh air than the floor space.

below you can see on the left hand of the desk is the closet....
100_2140.JPG

4.jpg

http://sl4y3r.info/devweb/projects/battlestation.shtml
^^ My Workstation ^^

Mine has always been on the ground. When I lived with my parents I had carpet, so I put a piece of wood, then two tiles on it (my thinking was that tiles would help in cooling... was probably wrong, but it looked better so I left it that way). Now that I live on my own and have hardwood but since I put an area rug for the chair I ended up using the same piece of wood and two tiles, but because it seemed so loud, I put some felts under the tiles to dampen the noise a bit. The carpet is much thinner then the shagged carpet I had in my parent's house.

It does collect more dust but even on the desk it would eventually catch a lot, specially with the cat.

For USB, I got a USB extension that I ran and just leave dangling near my monitors. I use it for temporary access such as a USB stick or what not. At some point when I build myself a fully custom desk I'll probably have a USB port right on the desk.

I see you have no space to put your laptop either. :(

I have two desktops for my Eyefinity setup, one on the side to the left for the case and a few other things, and the the other for the monitors. Oh and a big long shelf above for my stereo, and my mini fridge below the desk with the monitors. ;)

so not much of a difference on the ground?? We will have to see I guess. The fan filters get cleaned out every month because of dust

I have computer sitting on a custom made stand about 9 inches high. My power strip is hidden on the underside so it helps keep things clean. Almost any computer is going to suck a lot of air from near the bottom, so elevating or ensuring a low dust area around the computer will keep it cleaner.

I keep my rig on my desk because I have carpet and a dog and I found that my cooling wasn't as good on the ground and it collected more dust. It still gets dust on my desk, but not nearly as much.

I have one pc on the ground and another on my desk. The ground collects a ton of dust and the one on the desk stays clean.

At work (and at home) all of our desktop computers are on the floor. Less noise that way. However this does attract more dust. In my office the my desktop is on the floor and on the other side of my desk. I rarely ever need to use a dvd (all software is on isos anyways) or usb stick so that is not much of a problem.

Back