Case not perfectly at a square angle

ex0du5

Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
873
So, this is the second time I run into this issue. I have a Cooler Master HAF X, and just built a Sandy Bridge system with an EVGA GTX 570. When I plugged the card in, I noticed that the rear slot bracket was about 0.5cm away from the screw hole. I needed to force the card back quite a bit (which in turn stressed the motherboard quite a bit, due to the PCI-E clamp) to get it screwed in.

Is this a problem with the case? With the motherboard?

It's not a huge problem for the video card, since it's clamped in, but for other addon cards, they will not be able to get screwed in properly if the board isn't perfectly square with the case.
 
Without pics it's hard to tell exactly what's happening, but it's possible your case is bent. You sure your mobo is mounted on the right standoffs?
 
I've built dozens of computers and the only time I've encountered this problem was with the D-Link DWA-552 wireless network card. For some reason it seemed the I/O plate was made intentionally short of the screw hole. I doubt it's a problem with the motherboard because they are checked to be within form factor tolerances, but the same could be said for the case. Though it is easier to slightly bend a case than a motherboard...
 
Probably a case issue. Maybe a mfg issue, maybe a UPS/FedEx issue.
 
Back
Top