Case modding has officially gone ghetto.

IceWindus

n00b
Im sorry, but I think the glory days of case modding being extreme and unique are over with.....So sad, I remember being so excited and exstatic 4 years ago building my own machine and throwing in a Neon and a cutting a fan hole. Now even grandma can install a water cooling system :rolleyes:

http://www.frozencpu.com/bok-01.html?id=N3vva2PG

that is why you have to keep re-inventing the case mod. like 4 years ago puting a window in your case and lights UBER. but now its just meh what else you going to be doing.

"Discover how to: add a lighted fan"

ZOMG WTF UBER HAX HOW DO I DO DAT ADD FAN!!!!!!11!!1!!1!!11!

Just imagine how many fried CPU's there is going to be after people read this book and try to overclock.

Let me get this straight... you guys are complaining that your hobby is becoming more popular and accessible?

People with this mindset are usually elitists... with an elitist being a person who gets pleasure out of thinking he (or she) does something most other people can't do.

Sorry guys, but case modding, building computers, and overclocking is about as hard as changing the brake pads on your car, that is, maybe a bit daunting at first, but easily accomplished by the person of average intelligence with a little perserverance and research.

Also, have you ever read a "For dummies" book? They can be a great way to learn the essentials of a new hobby. My favorite so far has been "Classical Music for Dummies."

I think they are more pissed someone wrote a book telling them how do do what they helped invent... Id be pissed too...

0mega said:
I think they are more pissed someone wrote a book telling them how do do what they helped invent... Id be pissed too...

It's not a book aimed at experianced people. It's for beginners. n00bs. Maybe it will cut down on the n00b questions people hate.

• Optimize your computer's BIOS
  • Overclock your system
  • Choose and install a graphics card
  • Keep souped-up parts cool
  • Cut a window in the case
  • Add a lighted fan
Hah hah hah! OMG UB3R 1337 CAES HAXX)0R!!!!1111
Although I am curious.. hmm.

then there'd be no questions because everyone knows it all ey?

Jonsey said:
Let me get this straight... you guys are complaining that your hobby is becoming more popular and accessible?

People with this mindset are usually elitists... with an elitist being a person who gets pleasure out of thinking he (or she) does something most other people can't do.

Sorry guys, but case modding, building computers, and overclocking is about as hard as changing the brake pads on your car, that is, maybe a bit daunting at first, but easily accomplished by the person of average intelligence with a little perserverance and research.

Also, have you ever read a "For dummies" book? They can be a great way to learn the essentials of a new hobby. My favorite so far has been "Classical Music for Dummies."

Well put. Couldn't of said it better myself. Don't see these things as a bad thing. These things should make you push yourself to be more creative and innovative when modding. "Its a good thing" -Martha Stewart :D

Ya I remember this author asking for pics from the community and they wouldn't even give anyone a complimentary copy for showing their case off....

Anyway as far as being ghetto, yes it gets bad sometimes but there are some good modders still around.

I'm in it for the long run. Gotta keep upping the ante and keep people interested

0mega said:
and making it so we have to help all the idiots when the poorly written book does not explain a certain procedure properly. I bought a pc for dummies book once thinking it would be an in depth guide and explanation to pcs in general. It was crap it was all about how to turn on the computer and what the mouse was. avoid these books like the plague. they suck

Ok we all need to ditch the cases.....Naked computers EVERYWHERE would be [H]ard Core. Though LANs might become an issue.

Yay!!! Get ready to see alot more pictures of fans crazy glued to ram and heatsinks duct taped to motherboards. :D

blah, i need to introduce my friends to that book :p ..first, one of them think ' water cooling' is putting a bag of ice over the comp case, and my other friend has a dell and is scared to open up his case...LOLOLOLLLL. i was about to run into a brick wall at full speed when i heard my friends say those retarded things :mad: i sure hope my friends dont find that book too hard to understand :eek: :p

I think it's fine, more publicity never hurts. To whine about it is to be childish.

Maybe I'll be able to walk down the street to "Joe Blow's Case Modding Supplies" instead of buying online. That would be much cooler in my opinon.

Now that joe blow can mod his Dell Dimension, you're gonna see shit on the news like "omg, ppl are cutting holes and 'blinging' out (i swear to god they'll say something in reference to 'bling') their computers using this book! Just like that pimp my ride show! but with computers!"

It'll happen, mark my words. Remember that old news clip of the guy talking about people using 'internet' as if it was this mystical thing no one has ever heard of? Gonna be that all over again...

I feel sick when I see that people who consider themselves "priviledged" and in the "in" crowd scorn anyone who would even think to join them in something they find rewarding... All I can think is that these people are somewhat afraid that something they enjoy could be ruined by the general public learning the same skills... Get over it people and quit thinking you are elite because you can cut a window in your case and shine a light through it. Modding should be for everyone who wants to make something different and takes the time to do so. Not for an elitist mindset limited number of people.

Welcome anyone that wants to try, and learn from everyone else. I know some of the people that helped write this book and the advice comes from some pretty knowledgeable people who have made some pretty impressive mods. Why dont you try something new and actually read the book? You might actually learn something you "thought" you knew. Why are some people just afraid to learn something? I dont get it...

My 3 cents...

some things really do go ballistic :D

but surely, i still create casemods for costumers and friends, who really don't want to put there "valuable" time into building one there own :p

still making a little 200 euros a month extra by building those mods :)

(going from a little window up to a highly suffisticated watercooling system :cool: )

All I have to say is that I've noticed that the complainers in this thread have done nothing to make their mark in the modding scene. Feel free to prove me wrong, but that's what I'm noticing.

"... Becasue you most likely do not have the first Idea what the fuck you are doing, follow this next step without Question. Fist things first make sure that the fans in your case are working, how? What else, stick your finger into the blades, if your start bleeding, it is working!"

"... Water Cooling is the new rage, you can't have a cool modded computer without adding watercooling. The CPU gets really hot so make sure that you keep it cold with lots of water, just fill a glass and splash it on there."

"... Use a paper clip to make sure the PSU is working, don't worry just start stabing it into the vented opening until you see sparks!"

"... Since you are most likely very stupid; to mod the mother board, start by getting a jigsaw and cut it in two! This will give you better cooling!"

"... Now that you are done all your modding, time to make sure nothing is loose in there, so push your computer off your desk, if when you pick it up there is a rattle, You didn't follow instructions when we told you to make sure nothing was loose in the case... STUPID!"

Just a note here: they have dummy books for flying aircraft, yet there are not people thinking they can fly and crashing everywhere, and acting all cocky because they read a book. Just because they have one for pc modding its not the fall of our hobby.

Think about it, this just forces us a community to redouble our efforts to make our mods more outstanding and more unique.

I see this book as a challenge, not a threat. Yes there are unsavory elements that will act stupid with our hobby, but that doesn’t mean we should stop helping every newbie or stop trying to introduce new people to modding. Sometimes the new guys have fresh unique ideas.

Anyone who is complain about this probably isn’t very creative anyway :D

Rombus said:
Anyone who is complain about this probably isn’t very creative anyway :D

You can most certainly, without a doubt, without further hesitation and no ado, go fuck yourself.

IceWind said:
You can most certainly, without a doubt, without further hesitation and no ado, go fuck yourself.

owned *ROFL*

Edit,

On a side note i remember a "Sex for dummys" book.

yeah, same thing happened to car tuning too. P-Flows, vinyl stickers... :p

Still, the book could be a good introductory lesson to somebody really interested, without thinking it's uber-cool to have 1 LED fan and a CCFL and coming telling us. Some users may only want some oft mods like this, and it'd be okay with them and they wont brag about it *shrug*.

Of course, as in car tuning, too much mainstream means more people that have no clue what they're doing, but they still try to follow the "elite" crowd.

The "Dummies" books can really help, I've read some about computer programming, HTML, etc and they're a great base/complement to other specialized books that assume you've already have a college degree on the topic.

Among other Dummies books, I've seen many such Golf, Yoga, and yes, there's a Sex for dummies. :rolleyes: I wonder what's in it. /runs browsing Amazon.com

Look, I've heard two really good points here.

First, "modding for dummies" will never be cool. But that is OK because we all have to start somewhere. Not that I think he's a good example, but I remember the episode of Monster Garage where Jessie had pulled out the instruction-book for "popping a wheelie" on his bicycle that he got when he was a kid. And now he's got a TV show and dating actresses. All of us start at the bottom; it's where we wind up that counts. Maybe we'll see something good come out of this in a few years.

And second, if you want to be an elitist, earn it. There's a few people who are still doing some new and crazy things. Mashie and CrimsonSky are two that come to mind, though I'm sure there's more I should be mentioning. But most of the "modders" are still on windows and lights themselves. Come on! I saw a PC for sale on an Infomercial 2+ years ago with that stuff. I really like elitists, they pave the way for everyone else. So if you don't wana be clumped in with the "Install CCFL in accordance with manufactures instructions" crowd, I suggest that more of us start dooing mods that live up to an elite status. When you get down to it, there's a reason why the hardcore left skydiving and moved to B.A.S.E. jumping, once the jet-set started taking lessons. It's time more of us did the same with our projects.

Or you can take the skills you've learned from modding pc cases and expand them by modding other things or creating entirely new projects of art. Why limit yourself?

Going by some of the posts in this thread I could easily say that the pc modding scene has 'killed' my hobby of electronics, because 99% of 'modders' don't understand electronic theory and have to rely on tutorials just to figure out how to wire some led's or install a switch. Dammit! electronics has gone ghetto!!

Oh my god! Not electronics!

This "ghetto" thing could be spreading to other areas of computing too!

( In my best Samuell Jackson voice...)

Does Mr. Gates look like a bitch?

Say Syntax error one more time! I dare you! I double dare you, motherfucker!

Back