Case for mATX Storage server?

Synthetickiller

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
285
I have GMC R3 case that houses an AM3 rig. It only holds 2 hdds and its a pain to access anything internal.

Can anyone recommend a good storage oriented case possibly that's no larger than mATX and holds at least 4 drives, at least 1 120mm fan (quiet and keeps everything cool).

I saw an excellent mini itx chenbro storage server on newegg for about $195. Nice set up, obviously won't hold what I need :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=chenbro_mini_itx-_-11-123-154-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=chenbro_mini_itx-_-11-123-128-_-Product

I have everything but drives and a case. Mobo, cpu, hsf, memory, OS, cables, psu, etc etc is already here.

I'm a little lost, so you guys must know hwo small I can go.

I don't need a DVD drive, btw.
 
Well, as far as mATX goes, theres the Lian Li PC-Q08. It looks nice (well, at least I think so), has one 120mm and one 140mm fan so should be quiet, and can fit 6 3.5" HDDs as well as a standard-size optical drive (though you mentioned you don't need one - but I guess you could use that slot to shove in two more 3.5" HDDs, haha). However at 21,3 liters of volume it probably isn't the smallest option. Nor the cheapest at $109.99 with no PSU.

EDIT: On a side note, one of those Chenbros would certainly make for a nice file server rig for me. Just that the price in Finland is rather hefty at 230 euros. But I suppose with a Clarkdale it could even do double duty as a HTPC (and more) without trouble.
 
Last edited:
Well, as far as mATX goes, theres the Lian Li PC-Q08. It looks nice (well, at least I think so),

The q08 is mini ITX, not mATX.. so if he already has a motherboard it probably wont work.

@Synthetickiller what motherboard do you ahve now. Since the GMC R3 is an ATX it doesnt really tell us that your using a mATX
 
The q08 is mini ITX, not mATX.. so if he already has a motherboard it probably wont work.
D'oh,yeah. I know that well enough, but... teaches me not to reply to topics when braindead from lack of enough sleep :p
 
D'oh,yeah. I know that well enough, but... teaches me not to reply to topics when braindead from lack of enough sleep :p

lol, yea but if he had an ITX mobo the q08 would be a most excellent of choices.
 
Sorry guys. I typed this last night half awake. Ha, amazed you can figure out any of it.

BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8181&cm_re=am3_biostar-_-13-138-181-_-Product

Yes, the q08 would be ideal, but I'd have a useless mobo sitting around, unfortunately. That mATX is actually a really good board and if need be, I can always have it double as a media center PC.

Hmm.... that's an idea, ha!
 
The Lian Li PC-V354 is your case! I plan on buying one for my WHS build as well. It has 7 3.5" hd bays!! The dimensions are (W x H x D): 9.65" x 12.6" x 16.54" vs. the Q08 which is: 8.94" x 10.71" x 13.58".
 
I saw that case. When does it come out?

I hate the PSU placement in general, but its better to be over the cards. I'm not using a stock heatsink, so the other psu placements they use in similar set ups wouldn't work.
 
I saw that case. When does it come out?

I hate the PSU placement in general, but its better to be over the cards. I'm not using a stock heatsink, so the other psu placements they use in similar set ups wouldn't work.

Lian Li issued an official press release for it a couple of weeks ago. It should be showing up at retailers any day now. Someone in the thread for the case has already bought one off Ebay.
 
When I get around to building that out, the case should out and readily available.

$150 is kind of steep, although the design is top notch and worth it. I was hoping more along the lines of $100 or so.

I'll keep this case in mind and if I can't come up with a better solution cost wise (while staying small), I'll go this route. I might also buy on for a higher end SLI system next time I upgrade.... Liquid cooling this case would be an undertaking, although super interesting. .
 
Back
Top