• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Case for Carry on (airplane)

ptr404

n00b
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
11
any ideas of a case that would work as a carry on? aluminum... small... sleek... sexy? heh. it would need to fit an msi neo fsr, and a 6800gt. and it would need at least 2 5.25" bays... 3 would be cool too if possible. and no floppy drives necessary. thanks
 
not to be a downer but good luck getting any PC though customs.
I can't imagine the absolute fear in a security person when the ask you to open it up and see wires and fans and neon tubes and shit.

Could be kinda humorous though.
 
the hoojum nanode would be perfect size for a aiplane, its probally smaller than a laptop lol. but i doubt you can fit major gaming hardware in the thing, especially no 6800GT and doesnt have 2 bays :(
 
mobiux said:
not to be a downer but good luck getting any PC though customs.
I can't imagine the absolute fear in a security person when the ask you to open it up and see wires and fans and neon tubes and shit.

Could be kinda humorous though.

It is not humourous... believe me... Enter the year 2003... I was flying home, my Briefcase PC as carry-on luggage. At the security gate, they tell me to put the thing through the x-ray machine. Having spent more than enough money for the little bugger, I say no, they say "step over here please, sir", in a threatening sort of way.

I am told to open the briefcase, and proceed to do so. On seeing the several metal boxes, a numeric USB keypad, and a tangled mass of wires, they unholster their guns...

In the end, I plug the thing into the next outlet, and demonstrate thet it is, in fact, a PC, albeit an unusual one.

Still, I didn't like that. Not one bit.
 
Little Grabbi said:
It is not humourous... believe me... Enter the year 2003... I was flying home, my Briefcase PC as carry-on luggage. At the security gate, they tell me to put the thing through the x-ray machine. Having spent more than enough money for the little bugger, I say no, they say "step over here please, sir", in a threatening sort of way.

I am told to open the briefcase, and proceed to do so. On seeing the several metal boxes, a numeric USB keypad, and a tangled mass of wires, they unholster their guns...

In the end, I plug the thing into the next outlet, and demonstrate thet it is, in fact, a PC, albeit an unusual one.

Still, I didn't like that. Not one bit.


dude thats sweet a story to tell your grandkids.
 
Filter said:
dude thats sweet a story to tell your grandkids.
that is pretty crazy, i guess that i would be a little scared if someone opened a briefcase and i knew nothing about computers and all i saw in the case was wires and a keypad.

definetly a cool story to tell the grand kids though
 
thanks for the ideas guys... i'm also looking at the antec mini tower slk2600amb... its heavy, not that sexy... but cheap.. i can get it for 30 bucks at best buy right now (after rebate) and i have a gift card there. and i can mod it for good cooling. but, i've got another question...

what should i do to actually pack it away for carry on flight... i could get a lanboy strap and maybe wrap it in some protection (bubble wrap or something).... but then if security asks to look at it it will be a hastle. And then i could also use some sort of bag, but I'm not sure what would work. If any of you have a good idea, don't be shy. thanks again for your help
 
Agreed on the briefcase mod, Just hope you don't get shot. I remember the computer somebody but intoan old bomb. Imagine getting that through security. ***Man shot while carrying computer through airport***
 
You may want to re-think the weight issue. Some airlines have a 40lb. total weight limit for carry-on's. That means you probably wouldn't be able to bring anything else on board with you. Also, if an item is really heavy, they usually make you put it under the seat in front of you. Even if that'd be possible, you'd have zero leg room (uncomfortable, for sure). The reason? Imagine the overhead compartment coming open during turbulance and a computer landing on your skull. :eek:

BTW, it always blows my mind how security will let laptops through as long as you prove they work. Most of the time, all they take time to see is the POST screen or maybe even the Windows splash screen. It'd be VERY easy to make a device that'd create that display. Also, it'd leave plenty of room to hide a bomb in the laptop housing. I never feel safe in airplanes. I guess they think terrorists are lazy and stupid :rolleyes:
 
3WAYsplit said:
I solved your customs / security problem ;) The next step is yours..

You just gotta make it work :p

http://www.lilbearshoppe.com/giant_friends.htm


haha that is awesome, rip all the filling out and form a steel fram construction inside the bear, and load it up with your components, then send that through the x-ray machine and see what they say.


OMG ITS A BOMB BEAR>>> EVERYONE DOWN>>> ITS GONNA' BLOW!
 
oh wow! it has actually been done. that is awesome, i want one

i bet fabric and cotton dont conduct heat too good though
 
compslckr said:
haha that is awesome, rip all the filling out and form a steel fram construction inside the bear, and load it up with your components, then send that through the x-ray machine and see what they say.


OMG ITS A BOMB BEAR>>> EVERYONE DOWN>>> ITS GONNA' BLOW!

Remember: Teddy Rupskin the talking bear... it had electronics init... Thats what I was going for....


565ag
<--------


565ah
<--------
 
Post any progress on the PC/Bear that goes BOOM!!!! :p :) :p



Let us see pics..
 
they do look posessed or something...wow...i'm scared :p

yeah, but i think they would notice a 20lb teddy bear and get even more scared then with the briefcase!
 
Why didnt you just say "Its a computer, I'll be happy to plug it into a monitor and shot you."

Little Grabbi said:
It is not humourous... believe me... Enter the year 2003... I was flying home, my Briefcase PC as carry-on luggage. At the security gate, they tell me to put the thing through the x-ray machine. Having spent more than enough money for the little bugger, I say no, they say "step over here please, sir", in a threatening sort of way.

I am told to open the briefcase, and proceed to do so. On seeing the several metal boxes, a numeric USB keypad, and a tangled mass of wires, they unholster their guns...

In the end, I plug the thing into the next outlet, and demonstrate thet it is, in fact, a PC, albeit an unusual one.

Still, I didn't like that. Not one bit.
 
Whatsisname said:
Why didnt you just say "Its a computer, I'll be happy to plug it into a monitor and shot you."

cuz he probably would have been beaten to death if he said that. ;)




the briefcase mod sounds like an interesting thing to try out sometime though.
 
i don't understand.. why can't he put the briefcase pc into the X-ray machine? does it harm any component?

or will it damage the flash Bios??
 
it won't do shit.

ocphangaz said:
i don't understand.. why can't he put the briefcase pc into the X-ray machine? does it harm any component?

or will it damage the flash Bios??
 
It is possible to bring a SFF computer onboard.

My older brother had his SFF shuttle computer (with monitor, keyboard and mouse) in his carry on bag, and when he had to show that it was a computer, he plugged it in, booted it up, and showed a working computer. Everyone was amazed that a desktop computer can be a carryon item.
 
adri1456 said:
It is possible to bring a SFF computer onboard.

My older brother had his SFF shuttle computer (with monitor, keyboard and mouse) in his carry on bag, and when he had to show that it was a computer, he plugged it in, booted it up, and showed a working computer. Everyone was amazed that a desktop computer can be a carryon item.


Thats the reason why he madethis thread!! :) Hence forth I suggested he should try the stuffed bears and make a computer simular to the 1980's "Teddy Rupskin" :p
 
mashie said:
The security checks at airports are not too bad, they just are a bit extra thick on the US side compared to the UK so they need ten times the explanation to get it.

But in the end I have managed to bring with me this, this and this as hand luggage. And this as checked in luggage.

I can tell you they don't like watercooling loops with dyed water. "No Sir it is not radioactive, I promise" :D


How did you explain the "Smurfs" to the security checks at airports?? Im sure they thought that they were some kind of illegal aliens or perhaps spies!! :p
 
Why do you need two 5 1/4" drive bays? If you find out that you don't I would look at the AMS eCube because it has a nice handle. They will probably still ask you to boot it so make sure you carry one a LCD and keyboard. Here is a link to AMS, just look under products and eCube: http://www.amselectronics.com/
 
oh yeah, since when is a cold cathode a required part for a computer to operate?

mobiux said:
not to be a downer but good luck getting any PC though customs.
I can't imagine the absolute fear in a security person when the ask you to open it up and see wires and fans and neon tubes and shit.

Could be kinda humorous though.
 
Originally Posted by Whatsisname
it won't do shit

Originally Posted by Little Grabbi
It is not humourous... believe me... Enter the year 2003... I was flying home, my Briefcase PC as carry-on luggage. At the security gate, they tell me to put the thing through the x-ray machine. Having spent more than enough money for the little bugger, I say no, they say "step over here please, sir", in a threatening sort of way.

I am told to open the briefcase, and proceed to do so. On seeing the several metal boxes, a numeric USB keypad, and a tangled mass of wires, they unholster their guns...

In the end, I plug the thing into the next outlet, and demonstrate thet it is, in fact, a PC, albeit an unusual one.

Still, I didn't like that. Not one bit.

Then is this fella trying to prove something??
 
Back
Top