Case for a XPS / Blackbird admirer

sethk

2[H]4U
At work I have an XPS 710 and I love the case. It did not look that impressive in pictures and I thought the lights look cheesy in pictures (not a big fan of extra / bright lights on cases) but this case is *beautiful* in person. The lights are controllable through software and in the BIOS, which is awesome! The new HP blackbird looks fantastic too. In addition the XPS case has very good ventilation AND is extremely quiet. And its very easy to work with.

I built an Antec P182 case build for someone else and I'm not impressed. Theres not enough room in this case in some dimensions despite being big enough. I had to take out one drive cage entirely to fit in a video card. The heatsink needed fins bent to avoid hitting the top fan. And it doesnt look anywhere near as nice and professional as a XPS case. It wasn't as quiet as an XPS either.

Don't like the current Lian Li cases - they are good quality but look aged and the front exposed bays look bad once you populate them with drives. They're not that quiet either. The one with the front door looks like an time traveller from 1997. I should know because I have a similar Lian Li case that I remember buying circa 1997.

I don't like the "fake mod" look (i.e. manufacturers trying to make a cheap case look like a mod, except failing badly with a gaudy design), or the cheap doo-dads and appendages sometimes bolted on aftermarket cases. They look like something Pontiac would have made. I don't like transparent or perforated side windows in most cases that use these (would prefer a quiet sound proofed door). When it comes to industrial design it looks like the big manufacturers still have an advantage - I wish Thermaltake, Lian Li, Antec, CoolerMaster and the less well known but large OEMs who make these cases would put out a case that can compete with the XPS and Blackbird (just guessing about the blackbird, never seen one in person) in both looks and practicality, quietness and ventilation. Many can compete in one of these areas but not all at the same time.

If I'm missing some obvious cases that can compete, please set me straight!

Silverstone TJ07, TJ09, TJ10...love my 09, better then my Precision 690 which is effectively a larger version of the XPS 710 if you look at the interior setup.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked at all of these cases before. The Lian Li B25 is too small for my use, and still looks plain, but I do like the quality and understated looks. That Lian Li ugly logo has to go!

The Anubis is not bad, but it looks too open - I doubt it will be very quiet. Still doesn't have the wow! factor either.

We have several Precisions at work - believe me they are not even close to an XPS 7xx. They look fugly in comparison, see it in person.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked at all of these cases before. The Lian Li B25 is too small for my use, and still looks plain, but I do like the quality and understated looks. That Lian Li ugly logo has to go!

The Anubis is not bad, but it looks too open - I doubt it will be very quiet. Still doesn't have the wow! factor either.

We have several Precisions at work - believe me they are not even close to an XPS 7xx. They look fugly in comparison, see it in person.

Yeah, sounds like you're dead set on an XPS, might as well just buy one, I think dell sells them direct as well, atleast in a barebones factor (which you'd probably want so you get a full size BTX board). Personally, I'm not a fan, my old rep has a 720 H2C, neat concept, but a little too flashy for my taste. I like the understated look that still provides function. Besides the fact that the precision mops the floor with the XPS ;)

Yeah, sounds like you're dead set on an XPS, might as well just buy one, I think dell sells them direct as well, atleast in a barebones factor (which you'd probably want so you get a full size BTX board). Personally, I'm not a fan, my old rep has a 720 H2C, neat concept, but a little too flashy for my taste. I like the understated look that still provides function. Besides the fact that the precision mops the floor with the XPS ;)

Hmm strange, I thought the silver / black one was not flashy at all, no gaudy doo-dads and bulges just very clean lines without being boxy. The only gaudy thing seemed to be the lights which are defeatable. In red I can see what you mean.

I believe everyone can be right in their preferences, but in what sense did you mean the Precision mops the floor with the XPS? Just looks, or are thinking of some performance considerations?

I was not aware of the BTX requirements, wondering if I can fit a standard ATX board in there, since I don't want the 590i. [Edit] Did some more checking, the BTX is just too different to be used with an ATX motherboard, the layout is mirrored, making it very difficult to fit a modern retail mobo in there.

Back