• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Case fan layout

rkf76

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 3, 2005
Messages
173
I need some help/ideas/suggestions with my case fan setup.

Here is the case I am gonna use

RaidMax xA
R456-1028-out2-wg.jpg
R456-1028-out3-wg.jpg


As you can see, it accomodates 3 80mm fans, one up front, two in the back. I am thinking I should setup the fans like this:

LED fan up front, bringing air into the case
two fans in the back blowing air out of the case

Or should both of the fans in the back be bringing air into the case?

Would it make any sense to have the rear fans setup like this:

top fan, blowing air out of the case
lower fan, bring air into the case

Also, what are some things I should look for in case fans? Reason I ask is because I was looking for some and ran across these

Ultra Titanium 80mm 3-pk $19.99
ULT31752-main.jpg


Seeing as how my case come's w/the blue LED fan pictured, I'd only be using 2 of those fans, unless I modded the case to accept the remaining fan. Would that be a good idea? And if so, where should that fan be placed?
 
I will let someone else tell you what fans to buy, but the best way to set up those 3 fans would be:

-Front fan sucking air in
-2x rear fans blowing air out.


This way, the air flows through your case in an efficient way.
 
But, with an added fan from the PSU, that'll have a lot of negative pressure inside the case, and I belive you want positive pressure, so you get:
- more cool air in vs. just taking hot air out;
- less dust in your case (air being pushed out all the crevices, instead of being sucked in).

But, bringing in air from behind the case isn't helpful, since that's where the hot exhausted air sits. Ideally, if you have 3 exit fans, you want 3 inlet fans, pushing a slight bit more CFM. Or at least comparable CFM.

I have 2 exit fans (incl. PSU), one inlet bottom front, and one inlet on left side.

-bZj
 
It would be a bad idea to have one rear fan bring air in and the other rear one out because then the air of one of the fans would just exit through the other fan... basically rendering both of them useless.
 
Well, I think what I'll do then, is use the two rear as exhaust fans with the front as the intake, and possibly add a fan to the side window at some point. I think I'll run it stock for now and if my numbers are too high then I'll add the other fan. I've decided against the Ultra fans, they are super quiet, and dead sexay, but only rated at 21.5 CFM.
 
J-M-E said:
-Front fan sucking air in
-2x rear fans blowing air out.


This way, the air flows through your case in an efficient way.


^^^ I am with this 100%

As for the fansbuy whatever CFM to Dba ratio you are comfortable with. To me a fan is a fan I only care about how loud it is and how much cfm it can push.

Well I care about looks too I guess :p
 
Back
Top