• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Case: Cool, quiet, uncramped

CaineX

n00b
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
48
Alright let's see, I'm doing a build and I need ideas on a good case. Here's some important info I guess:
2 x 160GB Seagate SATA drives..
MSI Neo4 Platinum mobo
AMD 64 3500+
2 x 512 RAM
X800 XL video card
Zalman AlCu HSF (unsure whether to get the 7000 (109mm) or the 7700 (136mm))
Probably a Forton Bluestorm PSU (unless you have other suggestions)

That's what's important I guess, alright, so basically, since i'm a first time builder, I'd like a relatively roomy case, that's easy to work with... but I'm thinking full tower might be overkill right? If I was going full tower, I looked at the Lian-li 7077's and the Silverstone Tj06, but I was unsure those were overkill/wouldn't be able to accomodate my HSF due to their mobo positioning...

So basically, I want a relatively quiet case, preferably with 120mm fans.. and something that will be able to accomodate all my parts and be easy to work with (since I'm new to this and I'd like a lot of space). I'm unconcerned about weight and moving it... Also, which of the two Zalman HSFs should I get? Thanks.
 
Thanks, I like the look of that... what's the difference between the 7 Plus and the 60 Plus ones? They look quite similar.
 
I used the Antec Lanboy for my first comp. Didn't have any problems with anything (casewise anyway) and it uses two 120 fans and one comes with a blue led even.
 
I second the Antec 3700BQE, I have one... just what you want. Also check out Antec's other 3xxx series cases, they have some new ones that are just case, no PSU. Great cases for quiet.
 
CaineX said:
Thanks, I like the look of that... what's the difference between the 7 Plus and the 60 Plus ones? They look quite similar.

The PC7 are the 'value' lines. The HDD bracket is different, and there's no removable mobo tray. The PC60's are the higher end, with a removable mobo tray and a nicer HDD rack. The 'plus' versions have 120mm intakes.

There are 2 different versions of the PC7 Plus out. One with a 120mm in front and in back, and another with a 120mm infront and an 80mm in back (Newegg sells those kind).

I am torn between the PC7 Plus (with 2 120's) or the PC6077 (with all 5.25's). I'm going to be stuffing my water cooling in either. I've seen a LL 'watercooling' case called the PC6277. It's like the 6077 but longer, and has fan vents on top of the case. That version seems to be pretty rare, and the one place I've found that carries it is in Norway.

I prefer aluminum simply because it's lighter than steel, and I think it looks better. There is a full tower Chenming that I think is awesome, with a 120mm in back and space for a double rad in the front bottom.
 
Answer is simple, Coolermaster Stacker.

It can hold 12 hard-drives + 2 cd-drives or 11 cd drives :p at the same time. Is made of brushed steel so its sturdy and looks good, aluminium tends to vibrate which is annoying.

Can have 3 120mm intake at the front, 1 120 at the back, 80 at the top and 80 on the side (without modding, through add-on parts, everything but 2 120mm at the front are stock). Can also have a specialised cooler blowing air over the motherboard. Power/Reset switch is located in a cd bay which can be moved up and down. Has immense space for watercooling.

Even has a mesh thing at the bottom of the case which is the perfect size for a 2x120mm radiator :)

Basically, Lian-Li isnt worth it if your not moving your case cause they vibrate and are flimsy compared to steel. I know people will go "blah blah aluminium is my god" but for a stationary case steel is the best material.
 
FunkStar said:
Basically, Lian-Li isnt worth it if your not moving your case cause they vibrate and are flimsy compared to steel. I know people will go "blah blah aluminium is my god" but for a stationary case steel is the best material.

My LL cases don't vibrate or make noise. The only reason I have a noise problem is because I chose 2 crappy Thermaltake fans.
 
CaineX said:
Thanks, I like the look of that... what's the difference between the 7 Plus and the 60 Plus ones? They look quite similar.
7 doesn't have a removable motherboard tray and the hard drive cage only holds 3 drives
60 and 65 have a removable motherboard tray, but the exhaust fan is 80mm instead of 120mm like the 7, they still have the 120mm intake fan, and they have the good hard drive cage that holds 5 drives
on the 60 and 65 Plus, I think they come with the PCI blower and a duct so you can use the back fan as another intake, but I really don't see the purpose in that

The Antec 3700BQE mentioned would probably be a better case if you're going for silent, but the Lian Li is nicer looking and they are SO easy to work. You could build a quiet system with the Lian Li, I recommend the PC-7 because it has room for two 120mm fans and while I doubt the stock ones are quiet, there are a lot of good choices for quiet 120mm fans.

I have an Antec 1600 SLK in addition to my Lian Li, my brother has a Super LanBoy, and my mom has the Sonata. Having built systems in all of them, I prefer Lian Li over any of them.
 
I like the Antec SLK3000B. Put in your own quiet PSU (see the Power Supplies forum for advice, if needed), and profit. Sure it doesn't have a window and isn't lightweight (steel = better for low noise), but it works for many.
 
I like my Antec Super LANBOY, its sleek, quiet, and in my opinion, is a damn nice looking case. The only thing I really don't like about it is the fact that it has a side window, I think another aluminum siding would have been nicer and more sexy.
 
I like the quality of Cooler Master and SilverStone cases better then Lian-Li. They definitely look alot more stylish then the plain Lian-Li cases.

I think a Cooler Master Praetorian or Wavemaster would be a good choise. They use 80mm fans but its that loud if you use farely quiet fans. I have 4 80mm Cooler Master LED fans in mine.
 
Hm, many conflicting reports, but I guess in the end it depends upon what I really want since most of the cases suggested here seem good.

Thanks so far, I guess I'll need to think it over.
 
CaineX said:
Hm, many conflicting reports, but I guess in the end it depends upon what I really want since most of the cases suggested here seem good.

Thanks so far, I guess I'll need to think it over.
Yeah, there are a lot of good suggestions here. Read as many reviews as possible and try to decide on exactly what you're looking for.

Good luck.
 
Back
Top