• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Case/AGP Problem. Help anyone?

freddursth8

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
116
Hi,
I have recently installed an IS7 motherboard in my OEM (compaq) ATX case. This case is definately awesome, and I would love to keep it. The only problem is, there is not a slot for the end of an AGP video card to stick out in the back, only 4 PCI. Is there ANY way to install an AGP without having to buy a new case. I'm open to any innovative idea. Thanks.
 
yeah, there is an agp slot. theres just nota the hole in the back. what is it called... backplane??? how'd i go about cutting it?
 
Originally posted by freddursth8
yeah, there is an agp slot. theres just nota the hole in the back. what is it called... backplane??? how'd i go about cutting it?

Rotary cutting tool like a dremel. Take everything out of the case first, metal bits go everywhere. If you are planning to re-use the PSU, be careful. Make sure it is powerful enough and that it uses a standard power connector to the motherboard.
 
^^^

Yeah. What kind of power supply is it? Read us the stuff off of the label; rails, support currents, combined power outputs, total power output, etc..
 
yea, when I was still on my compaq I wasnt able to upgrade much on it because the PSu was only 250 watts... and it wasnt ATX compliant (damn compaq) So I just figured I was just as well building a new system, lol
 
4 PCI??

as in Micro ATX?

if so, there's no way you'll get your IS7 in there!
 
What N Evil said. If the backplane has four openings for expansion cards, it's a microATX case. One of those openings IS for the AGP card, plus the three PCI slots common to mATX. There is no way the IS7 is going in that case.
 
He already got the motherboard in...

I guess he'll have to do what most people in this forum do...mod! :eek: For this, I recommend a rotary tool since the metal is pretty thin. Just measure carefully so that the new slot fits the pattern created by the other four expansion slots. Draw out the cutting area, cut inside the lines, and follow up with a file.
 
frankly, I don't think there are many compaq cases that are worth this much trouble. Gotta pic of the one you are using?
 
Back
Top