Case Advice - High End

dreadwing

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2012
I am planning to build my first rig since the 90's back in the good old 386/486 days. I've mainly bought dell workstations and desktops but the recent OptiPlex towers suck so decided to take the plunge and build my own.

I mainly want something high end that is plain and simplistic. I will be using it for personal use and for streaming 1080p mkv's. I will be using 6 hard drives and 1 SSD so need something that can keep everything nice and cool. I've been looking at the Silverstone tj07-bw, tj09, and the corsair 600t and 650d. I will using the corsair CPU cooler but not full water cooling but would be nice if it can accommodate it for the future. Full specs are:

i7-2600k
asus or asrock motherboard
16gb ram
single evga gtx580 video card
1 120GB SSD (OS)
4 1 TB in raid 5
2 2 TB in raid 0

I'd like some ideas on what you think and any advice on what would be best suited for my setup.This forum has been super informative and looking forward to getting some great ideas.

Thanks!

what size motherboard are you looking for? like a mini-itx, normal or full tower?

I would like a mid-sized / full tower. I have the room for either just not something overly large. Motherboard is a atx with 850watt corsair power supply.

Dollar range for case $150-$450 max.

Also, on the quiet side would be great as it would sit on the ground right next to my office desk.

Hope this helps.

DW

Last edited:
I've got a couple of Lian Li PC-A05B cases. I actually found [H] when searching for mod ideas for the case a ways back.

I've been considering upgrading -- just feeling the itch -- and have been looking at the Silverstone FT02. It's a well built, well regarded case with good air cooling, good aesthetics, and a unique layout.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1429251&page=143

The other option is the Corsair 800D. Corsair cases are beautiful, especially the obsidian line (800, 700, 650). It sounds like the 650 might be more what you're looking for, as the 800 and 700 are huge. There were initially a few problems with the fan controller on the 650, but they appear to be worked out; in any case, the Corsair customer service, both in general and on this forum, is stellar.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1574865&page=98

There are some other decent cases from Lian Li, Fractal Design, and NZXT. I'd browse through the case mod gallery and see if anything catches your eye.

The 650 is in my short list. My only concern with that case is some of the reviews say the drive caddy's are flimsy. As I will be using 6 hard drives, I just need to be sure it has sufficent air flow for the drives as well as video card.

Is the 800D that much larger than the 650D as I have not ruled oout the full size if they end up being a better fit.

I plan to check out the case you mentioned, and looking at the gallery is dangerous as it gives me too many ideas to spend $$$.

I don't know whether it screams "high-end" but I quite like the Fractal Design R3 and XL that we have here... they're understated, practical and keep the stuff inside quite cool. We're currently running 10HDDs in the XL and had 6 in the R3 and it's easy to keep them all in the ideal temperature range. No windows or strange angles - nice and simple looks.

The 650 is in my short list. My only concern with that case is some of the reviews say the drive caddy's are flimsy. As I will be using 6 hard drives, I just need to be sure it has sufficent air flow for the drives as well as video card.

Is the 800D that much larger than the 650D as I have not ruled oout the full size if they end up being a better fit.

I plan to check out the case you mentioned, and looking at the gallery is dangerous as it gives me too many ideas to spend $$$.

It is flimsy because of its tool-less design and so you can just pop-in the hard drives. The location of the drives is directly in front of the 200mm fan so cooling isn't a problem. At the price range of under $200, I would recommend the 650D.

Thanks. That was my main concern as making sure the drives stayed cool. What configuration do you recommend for the 3.5 drive placement as the bays are modular, right? Also on the 650d what cnages are recommend for stock fan replacements if any...

It is flimsy because of its tool-less design and so you can just pop-in the hard drives. The location of the drives is directly in front of the 200mm fan so cooling isn't a problem. At the price range of under $200, I would recommend the 650D.

Wow, they do look slick. Where do you get them as they seem to be only sold in Japan? I still think my top choice is goign to be the 650D but have received a lot of good ideas from the site and the comments here.

If you want high-end case, you should try Abee and Windy

Thanks. That was my main concern as making sure the drives stayed cool. What configuration do you recommend for the 3.5 drive placement as the bays are modular, right? Also on the 650d what cnages are recommend for stock fan replacements if any...

Since you are using 6 hard drives, then the default configuration (the drive bays directly behind the front fan) will best suit you. The bays are modular also. Although some people did replace the stock fans of the 650D, I recommend that you try them out first and see what you think before replacing them.

I have an 800D.
You could put the 650 inside the 800.
If you want space for more stuff, then the 800D would be the ticket.

There are 4 hot swap bays in the front and room for three more drives in the bottom, both bays have direct cooling.

To be quite honest, the coolest and quietest case I've had the pleasure to work with has been the Silverstone FT02........it's just a great case, spaceous, cool and quiet.....the downside is, it doesn't do watercooling well at all. But my son does not need it. It keeps his 580 GTX SLi cool, and you barely hear the darn thing at all.

So far my top two are now:

Corsair 650D
Silverstone FT02
TJ07 (if i go watercool)

For a 5-6 HD configuration, do you think I am better off going with the Silverstone option? I am pretty sure I will go with the air cool route aside from the H80 for the CPU. I'm certainly looking forward to getting something built.

So far my top two are now:

Corsair 650D
Silverstone FT02
TJ07 (if i go watercool)

For a 5-6 HD configuration, do you think I am better off going with the Silverstone option? I am pretty sure I will go with the air cool route aside from the H80 for the CPU. I'm certainly looking forward to getting something built.

The FT02 can house 5 standard HDD and 1 SSD.
You would have to place the fans/radiator for the Corsair CPU cooler in the top fan slot, which is the only outlet fan placement for the entire case, although it is otherwise well ventilated on the top so that "probably" won't be an issue.

The FT02 is a really nice case.:D My son is less than obsessive about keeping things clean and the last time I took his FT02 apart to clean it and place a second GPU there was not a speck of dust inside the case. The filters and ventilation of that case are phenomenal.

I was almost sold on getting the 650d but after reading reviews and comments on here, I think the ft02 may be a better fit in keeping my drives and all cool. I do however like the overall look of the 650d so it's still a close call on which I will end up going. My goal is to decide this week and start getting all the parts.

Still need to figure out which video card to go with for optimal 1080p 3d output and gaming. I've been a long supporter of nvidia but am open to ati since they seem to have narrowed the gap.

Options are the GTX 580 and ATI 6970. Which run cooler and are more quiet, any input?

I was almost sold on getting the 650d but after reading reviews and comments on here, I think the ft02 may be a better fit in keeping my drives and all cool. I do however like the overall look of the 650d so it's still a close call on which I will end up going. My goal is to decide this week and start getting all the parts.

Still need to figure out which video card to go with for optimal 1080p 3d output and gaming. I've been a long supporter of nvidia but am open to ati since they seem to have narrowed the gap.

Options are the GTX 580 and ATI 6970. Which run cooler and are more quiet, any input?

The 650D is nice case you will like it if you get it, What about the new Corsair 400R or 500R?

Here is the temps of the GTX 580:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_580_Lightning/26.html

And here is the temps of the 6970:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6970/32.html

The fan noise on both cards run at 31DBA on idle and 41DBA on load.

The machine is mainly used for personal/gaming/3d and ps3 media server streaming. HD config:

2X WD Black 2TB (raid 0) - movies/media
3X WD Green 1TB (raid 5) - important file redundancy
1X SSD 64GB Crucial m4 (OS) - win7 64Bit enterprise

Out of curiosity, can you explain your HDD setup?

Thanks for the info on the video cards, I will check it out.

I really like the look of the 650d but from the messages on here, I am concerned that the 650d will have insufficient airflow and cooling for the 5 HD's. If there is a fan config/setup to keep the drives cool then the choice would be easier.

I've also read the threads on both cases and the Silverstone ft02 is a badass case as well. Plus both have that sleek understated appearance I am looking for.

The 650D is nice case you will like it if you get it, What about the new Corsair 400R or 500R?

Here is the temps of the GTX 580:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_580_Lightning/26.html

And here is the temps of the 6970:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6970/32.html

very nice case! You guys are making it hard to narrow it down to just one!!!

That Li-Li is my favorite case at the moment as far as higher end cases go.

Lemme know if you want some suggestions in the $100-ish range..

I am comfortable with the 200-400 range if I am getting a high quality case. I will do some more research on the PC-X900. Top 3 in no particular order are:

FT-02
650d
PC-X900

A lot of great feedback so far, very helpful.

I have both 580GTXs and a 6950 and 6990(reference models all).

Honestly, as much as I like my AMD GPUs they tend to be noisy.

My son has twin 580s in his FT02 and it runs much more quietly than my computer, although it could also be the case, his FT02 versus my Coolermaster 830 EVO.

My 6990 was so noisy, I decided to watercool it; the temps were not the issue.

I'm not sure which GPU would give you better 3D TV, but if I had to guesss, I'd speculate nvidia.:p

Thanks for the reply. I really like the lang-li and Silverstone designs, nice and minimal.

I seem to like things that end up being the most expensive. Too many choices!

I would not skip to look something made by antec like p193,cause i have p182se and its phenomenal.
My criteria for cases is that they have to be excellent built and quiet ones.
I would not buy anything that is not lian li ,silverstone or antec p series.
On your list you cant go wrong with Silverstone FT02,and Its by far superior to Corsar`s.
Look at lian li before you buy :
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...ex=338&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=61&g=f
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...ex=478&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=61&g=f
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...ex=524&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=61&g=f

Good luck. :)

buy the way they have exceptional accessories.

Last edited:
It sounds like the 580 GTX might be the way to go. What model of the GTX do you recommend as you stated yours are quiet. Also, what kind of a performance boost do you get running them in dual mode? I plan to start with one and upgrade later if necessary.

I have both 580GTXs and a 6950 and 6990(reference models all).

Honestly, as much as I like my AMD GPUs they tend to be noisy.

My son has twin 580s in his FT02 and it runs much more quietly than my computer, although it could also be the case, his FT02 versus my Coolermaster 830 EVO.

My 6990 was so noisy, I decided to watercool it; the temps were not the issue.

I'm not sure which GPU would give you better 3D TV, but if I had to guesss, I'd speculate nvidia.:p

for gpu,i am amd fan,but it rely does not matter which card of these two,just look for those unusual models with large fans on them.... :)

I've decided on the FT02 base don comments and reviews. Thanks

Back