Cas latency question

JebusTrist

n00b
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
11
I'm looking at a few different kinds of ram atm, and I cannot decide which is the best value while still offering great performance for gaming and overclocking.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2206874&body=REBATES
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

The corsair has very low timings and seems very fast, and is apparently rated at 1.9v. The crucial is seemingly as fast but is rated at 2.2v. I've read that the crucial is so cheap because the higher voltage allows weaker chips to achieve greater stability, and thusly it isn't really good ram.

I've also looked at several 2x2gig kits and have noticed nearly all of them have significantly higher timings. Why are they so expensive if they are so much higher?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227195

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231112

So really, what would you recommend? Obviously I'd love to go with the 4x1gb ballistix because after the rebates it would only be 140USD, but I'm wary because of their higher voltage rating. The corsair also have an attractive price, but why are they so cheap compared to other kits?
 
I have been using a 2 gig kit of Corsair Dominator PC8500-C5D. It has been great stuff but I have always used Corsair and am thus biased. I currently have mine clocked to a 1240 fsb with 4-4-4-12 timings @ 1.9v and have never had any issues. I have seen this ram clocked to almost twice that. I think it's the D9 Samsung chips that are used. please correct me , readers , if I am wrong. I would at least do some research on what chips are used in different ram sets.
 
Back
Top