• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Carrying Sound Over DVI

netjack

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 11, 2005
Messages
175
Here's my dilemma:

Currently, I'm running video only (dvi-out) from my GTX 8800 to my 42" Panny (HDMI-in only) over a 25' ft dvi (female)-hdmi (male) cable.

For sound, I have 2 of my rear speakers setup in 2.1 mode placed under the Panny connected to my SB X-Fi Music.

I plan on upgrading to the ATI 5850. What I'd like to do is run the sound from the card straight to the panny and get rid of the rear speakers. Essentially, the sound will be going from computer sound card to tv.

Questions:
1) Can I send sound from 5850's dvi out to the panny using the same 25' dvi-hdmi and still get sound? Or do I need to dump the 25' dvi-hdmi cable and get a 25' hdmi-hdmi cable? This will be a royal pain because I'd have to snake it through the wall. If i had to this, I'd tape one end of the new cable to the other end of the old cable, pray to god, and pull and hope it comes through on the other end!

2) If I turn volume up/down on the Panny's remote, will that control the volume or will i still need to control it via the pc?
 
Most likely will not work. If the card has a dedicated HDMI out (which I believe all 5850's do), then there's a high likelihood that only that port is designed to handle audio. You may be able to hook up an HDMI->DVI converter on your computer side to trick it into effectively using an HDMI-HDMI cable, but I'm not 100% sure if the converter will preserve digital audio.
 
It should work fine, provided your 5850 supports sending audio on the DVI port, which I believe most any modern card should. If sound works at all from the DVI port, it will work this way. Otherwise the HDMI->DVI->HDMI route that mavalpha suggests will work.
 
Don't think it will work.

Whilst you can get sound from dvi using the ati dvi-hdmi adapter I am not sure if it will work with a dvi-hdmi cable. It might work but not sure.
 
simplest solution is to go with a new 25' hdmi-hdmi cable..
hardest solution is to re-snake a new 25' hdmi-hdmi cable...

hmm...
 
If it's not secured in the wall, I would just pull the HDMI to DVI cable out with the new HDMI cable securely taped to it. Then at least you won't have to guess if it's working / going to work or get any random gender adapters to make it "work".
 
2) If I turn volume up/down on the Panny's remote, will that control the volume or will i still need to control it via the pc?

volume on?
if you have the output on the PC at 100%, then yes, you can use the volume control on the TV/whatever is taking that signal in
otherwise, the PC volume still applies



If it's not secured in the wall, I would just pull the HDMI to DVI cable out with the new HDMI cable securely taped to it. Then at least you won't have to guess if it's working / going to work or get any random gender adapters to make it "work".

this is what I would suggest, because its easy and gets the job done
 
Just try it. It will work as long as your 5850 can output audio on its DVI port. I see no reason it couldn't, but it may be artificially disabled. If your card is not able to put audio on the DVI port, the cheap/easy solution is to use a HDMI->DVI adapter on the card and your existing cable, though obviously cleaner to replace the whole run.

If your card can output audio on the port you're using it will work.
 
As far as I remember, the 5850 even though it has 2 dvi 1 hdmi and 1 DP, the HDMI takes the place of one DVI, which means at least 1 DVI should be able to carry audio, since you can't use 2 x dvi + 1x hdmi(the 3 connectors share 2 possible outputs?)
 
maybe ill start a new thread asking about 5850 carrying audio over dvi...
 
Why not just try it first? If it doesn't work, get a cheap HDMI cable from monoprice.
 
Why not just try it first?

'coz then we couldn't have a 30 page discussion about what could be; it would be too efficient and quick :eek:

viper-X:
yes you are correct, at least for video, should hold true for audio, although the card may very well not want to do audio via DVI with an adapter, since the HDMI port exists already (if OP would just try this, or if someone else would just try this, it'd be a whole lot easier than banging back and forth over what may work)
 
Back
Top