Carrying Case for a 14.1" Widescreen...

VoodooChi|d

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently purchased the Dell Inspiron e1405 (also known as the 640m)... it's a 14.1" widescreen laptop and I'm having a tough time finding a laptop bag thats made specifically for that size... I'm not picky on material but I'd like it to be fairly small... only 1 pocket to hold the mouse or a book or some papers...

All help is greatly appreciated

well look into booqbags sleeves
I have owned some of their products in the past.. and the quality is just superb

I'm probably going to be picking up a small 14.1" Compaq machine soon, and I'll also need a case for it, if I happen across something I'll post it here as well.

It does seem to be an odd duck to find a case for oddly enough.

Hey Guys,

I also had that problem after I bought my 630m. As a result of that problem, I scratched up the lid of my lappy pretty badly. Then I said "no more." I purchased a Targus Slipskin Notebook Case at Best Buy. It cost $20.99 + tax which isn't bad. I always carry a backpack so I slip my clothed lappy into my backpack and go. It's perfect for me and I'm sure it will be perfect for you as long as you don't need a handle or shoulder strap because this case doesn't include either. Here are some pix. Let me know how it goes.

Hmm, novel idea.

My only fear is the lack of any serious padding around it on the off chance it falls.

Granted, I'm only looking to buy a cheap laptop for light work and movie watching, but for me, I'm gonna treat this thing like GOLD.

I'll take a look at one next time I'm in the area of my local BB, thanks for the idea!!!

Remember guys: you get what you pay for.

You might get lucky with a cheap sleeve ($15-$20), but again, it might not offer the protection you need. Since I'm purchasing my laptop soon, I've done quite a bit of research on the 'best' laptop sleeves. Tom Bihn sleeves are reportedly good, but also very expensive - so that throws it out the window. Other than that, the WaterField sleeves and bags are also very good. Some cheaper sleeves don't offer drop protection, or only limited scratch protection.

www.waterfield.com The sleeve is customized to your laptop, you look up your lappy on a chart and it gives you the dimensions. You can choose to add a flap, straps, etc. and even have it be horizontal or vertical. From a variety of forums I've been to, including notebookreview and the thinkpad forums, everyone has sworn by the WaterField sleeves. The only caveat is that there's a checkered bottom, though some people like the way they look. My buddy actually bought a waterfield for his recently purchased inspiron and he says it's very nice, and I'm going to have to agree.

If you're looking for a backpack, I intend to couple my waterfield sleeve with a Targus backpack. While Targus is not the highest quality, not only does it have a built-in laptop compartment (for the times I will be carrying my laptop in its sleeve), but it has other pouches as well for storing books and other accessories - like all backpacks, lol. The thing is, most laptop backpacks brag that they have a pouch specifically for laptops - but it doesn't mean it will have proper cushioning or scratch protection. That's why I think a sleeve is important either way, it allows you to travel sans backpack and if you do have a backpack it's just extra protection.

More expensive bags are available - though Targus definitely is a staple brand - and I'd reccommend checking out www.ebags.com and browsing those for what you need. And, most importantly, if a retail store near you sells backpacks just go and see what's there. Even though someone may post a review saying it's a great backpack, it may fit differently on you so it's important to test out the bag before you buy.

Back