Carrying around sleeping Powerbook in back pack.

very, all of the moving parts in computer are essentially off. a nice sleeve/case is always a good idea though :)

I do it all the time.. actually every day. I carry it around in my high school.
The only thing I ever worry about is someone kicking my backpack.
I keep it in a sleeve though, so it doesn't get so scratched up

the drive is parked, so you really run no risk of anything. assuming you're not so rough that you dent the thing.

go right ahead. my iBook has been through 5 semesters of daily useage and toting. no troubles.

It's pretty safe, but be careful about applying pressure to the laptop.

The 15" Powerbooks that are made from aluminum have a "bright spot" problem on the screen that is thought to be caused by applying too much pressure to the case.

This happened to mine after I carried it around in a backpack. It doesn't take much to cause bright spots, so be forewarned.

I had bright spots on my powerbook before I even toted it around :( :mad:

cosmos said:
I had bright spots on my powerbook before I even toted it around :( :mad:
You can get those just from opening up the screen on many powerbooks. Particularly with the titanium books the screen flexed considerably, you could make out where you put your fingers every time you opened the lid.

The Al powerbooks are a bit better though, but it's still an issue.

yeah the white spots isnt because its really flexing, Apple design it so there are small circular spacers between the back of the lcd and the albuminum backing, The pressure of just opening the display will cause them to shift and cause pressure on the screen to cause the whitespots. Almost everyone I know who has the new AL 15" has had them, I did too, just brought it into apple store and said I have whitespots and they shipped it for repairs and got it back within 5 days, its been a year, no more whitespots.

Ah yes, but with the Ti powerbooks you can move the pressure points by moving your fingers. On most any powerbook I used they lined up.

Back